In this study, the effect of anthocyanin-rich popping maize flour on phenolic profile, antioxidant capacity and color of bread were investigated. Texture and sensory properties of maize mix-breads were evaluated also. Replacing 30% of wheat flour with blue- and dark-red-seeded maize flours increased the content of total phenolic compounds, ferulic and p-coumaric acids of mix-breads compared to the control bread. In addition, anthocyanins from maize flours improved functional profile of breads. Despite thermal degradation, the content of anthocyanins in crumb of blue and dark-red maize mix-breads was high and amounted to 142.3 mg CGE/kg and 84.4 mg CGE/kg, respectively. In his acylated and non-acylated forms, cyanidin 3-gluco-side was the most prevalent anthocyanins in maize mix-breads. However, given to the synergistic and antagonistic interaction that arises from the co- existence of numerous antioxidant compounds in food, anthocyanin-rich maize flour had no effect on the increase in the bread antioxidant capacity.
Anthocyanin-rich maize flour changed the bread crumb color to a red range. Although maize mix-breads had worse textural properties compared to the wheat bread, their sensory quality was improved.
4. dePascual-Teresa S., Santos-Buelga C., Rivas-Gonzalo J.C., LC-MS analysis of anthocyanins from purple corn cob. J. Sci. Food Agr., 2002, 82, 1003–1006.
5. Dey T.B., Chakraborty S., Jain K.K., Sharma A., Kuhad R.C., Antioxidant phenolics and their microbial production by submerged and solid state fermentation process: A review. Trends Food Sci. Tech., 2016, 53, 60–74.
6. Eberhardt M.V., Lee C.Y., Liu R.H., Antioxidant activity of fresh apples. Nature, 2000, 405, 903–904.
7. Eduardo M., Svanberg U., Oliveira J., Ahrné L., Effect of cassava flour characteristics on properties of cassava-wheat-maize composite bread types. Int. J. Food Sci., 2013, 2013, 1–10, art. id. 305407.
8. El-Megeid A.A.A., AbdAllah I.Z.A., Elsadek M.F., El-Moneim Y.F.A., The protective effect of the fortified bread with green tea against chronic renal failure induced by excessivedietary arginine in male albino rats. World J. Dairy Food Sci., 2009, 4, 107–117.
9. Filipčev B., Lević LJ., Bodroža-Solarov M., Mišljenović N., Koprivica G., Quality characteristics and antioxidant properties of breads supplemented with sugar beet molasses-based ingredients. Int. J. Food Prop., 2010, 13, 1035–1053.
10. Hofmann T., Characterization of the chemical structure of novel colored Maillard reaction products from furan-2-carboxalde-hyde and amino acids. J. Agric. Food Chem., 1998, 46, 932–940.
11. Holtekjølen A.K., Bævre A.B., Rødbotten M., Berg H., Knutsen S.H., Antioxidant properties and sensory profiles of breads containing barley flour. Food Chem., 2008, 110, 414–421.
12. Hooper L., Cassidy A., A review of the health care potential of bioactive compounds. J. Sci. Food Agr., 2006, 86, 1805–1813.
13. Irmak S., Jonnala R.S., MacRitchie F., Effect of genetic variation on phenolic acid and policosanol contents of Pegaso wheat lines. J. Cereal Sci., 2008, 48, 20–26.
14. Kocadağlı T., Žilić S., Göncüoğlu Taş N., Vančetović J., Dodig D., Gökmen V., Formation of α-dicarbonyl compounds in cookies made from wheat, hull-less barley and colored corn and its relation with phenolic compounds, free amino acids and sugars. Eur. Food Res. Technol., 2016, 242, 51–60.
15. Lesschaeve I., Noble A.C., Polyphenols: factors influencing their sensory properties and their effects on food and beverage preferences. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2005, 81, 330S-335S.
16. Menga V., Fares C., Troccoli A., Cattivelli L., Baiano A., Effect of genotype, location and baking on the phenolic content and some antioxidant properties of cereal species. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 2010, 45, 7–16.
17. Montilla E.C., Hillebrand S., Antezana A., Winterhalter P., Soluble and bound phenolic compounds in different Bolivian purple corn (Zea mays L.) cultivars. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2011, 59, 7068–7074.
18. Mora-Rochín S., Gaxiola-Cuevas N., Gutierrez-Uribe J.A., Milan-Carrillo J., Milan-Noris E.M., Reyes-Moreno C., Serna-Saldivar S.O., Cuevas-Rodríguez E.O., Effect of traditional nixtamalization on anthocyanin content and profile in Mexican blue maize (Zea mays L.) landraces. LWT – Food Sci. Technol., 2016, 68, 563–569.
19. Pedreschi R., Cisneros-Zevallos L., Phenolic profiles of Andean purple corn (Zea mays L.). Food Chem., 2007, 100, 956–963.
20. Scalbert A., Williamson G., Dietary intake and bioavailability of polyphenols. J. Nutr., 2000, 130, 2073S–2085S.
21. Serpen A., Gökmen V., Pellegrini N., Fogliano V., Direct measurement of the total antioxidant capacity of cereal products. J. Cereal Sci., 2008, 48, 816–820.
22. Siddiq M., Nasir M., Ravi R., Butt M. S., Dolan K.D., Harte J.B., Effect of defatted maire germ flour addition on the physical and sensory quality of wheat bread. LWT – Food Sci. Technol., 2009, 42, 464–470.
23. Singleton V.L., Orthofer R., Lamuela-Raventos R.M., Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Oxidants and Antioxidants, PTA Book Series: Methods Enzymol., 1999, 299, 152–178.
24. Stintzing F.C., Stintzing A.S., Carle R., Frei B., Wrolstad R.E., Color and antioxidant properties of cyanidin-based anthocyanin pigments. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2002, 50, 6172–6181.
25. Świeca M., Gawlik-Dziki U., Dziki D., Baraniak B., Wheat bread enriched with green coffee – In vitro bioaccessibility and bioavailability of phenolics and antioxidant activity. Food Chem., 2017, 221, 1451–1457.
26. West E.M., Mauer J.L., Color and chemical stability of a variety of anthocyanins and ascorbic acid in solution and powder forms. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2013, 61, 4169−4179.
28. Yousif A., Nhepera D., Johnson S., Influence of sorghum flour addition on flat bread in vitro starch digestibility, antioxidant capacity and consumer acceptability. Food Chem., 2012, 134, 880–887
29. Žilić S., Serpen A., Akillioglu G., Gökmen V., Vančetović J., Phenolic compounds, carotenoids, anthocyanins, and antioxidant capacity of colored maize (Zea mays L.) kernels. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2012, 60, 1224–1231.
30. Žilić S., Kocadagli T., Vančetović J., Gokmen V., Effects of baking conditions and dough formulations on phenolic compound stability, antioxidant capacity and color of cookies made from anthocyanin-rich corn flour. LWT – Food Sci. Technol., 2016, 65, 597–603.