Escherichia coli O157:H7 is well known for many foodborne outbreaks that lead to fatal infections in human being worldwide. The objective of this study was to develop a rapid and sensitive method for detection of EHEC O157:H7 from ground beef using a method that combined immunomagnetic separation (IMS) with loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP). The EHEC O157:H7 cells were separated with Dynabeads coated with anti- EHEC O157:H7 after a short enrichment for 4 h. Then, EHEC O157:H7 was identified by LAMP assay for amplifying and detecting the rfbE gene, which is highly conserved in all EHEC O157:H7 strains and exhibits strain-specifi c gene expression. The LAMP method results analyzed with real time turbidity measurements showed a high specificity and sensitivity, with a positive detection rate of amplifi cation of EHEC O157:H7 DNA diluted to a minimum equivalent concentration of 1.8 × 101 CFU/mL, which was 10 times more sensitive than the conventional PCR assay. The IMS followed with LAMP could capture and detect a bacterial concentration as low as 3×101 CFU/mL from the meat samples, which was close to the sensitivity of LAMP assay with pure culture. IMS combined with realistic LAMP method is a simple, rapid, highly specific gene amplifi cation technology that is suitable for implementing as a screening assay in basic laboratory and field test for detecting food contamination.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aydin M. Herzig G.P. Jeong K.C. Dunigan S. Shah P. Ahn S. Rapid and sensitive detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in milk and ground beef using magnetic bead-based immunoassay coupled with tyramide signal amplification. J. Food Prot. 2014 77 100-105.
2. Bapanpally C. Maganty G. Khan S. Kasra A. Morey A. Immunomagnetic separation and visual fluorescence detection of E. coli O157 using AOAC approved SAS Molecular Tests. J. AOAC Int. 2014 97 1073-1077.
3. Bell B.P. Griffi n P.M. Lozano P. Christie D.L. Kobayashi J.M. Tarr P.I. Predictors of hemolytic uremic syndrome in children during a large outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections. Pediatrics 1997 100 E12
4. Bilge S.S. Vary J.C. Jr Dowell S.F Tarr PI. Role of the Escherichia coli O157:H7 O side chain in adherence and analysis of an rfb locus. Infect. Immun. 1996 64 4795-4801.
5. Buesa J.B. Collado P. López-Andújar P. Abu-Mallouh R. Rodríguez Díaz J. García Díaz A. Molecular epidemiology of calici viruses causing outbreaks and sporadic cases of acute gastroenteritis in Spain. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2002 40 2854-2859
6. CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Importance of culture confirmation of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infection as illustrated by outbreaks of gastroenteritis- New York and North Carolina 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006 55 1042-1045.
7. Chapman P.A. Ellin M. Ashton R. A comparison of immunomagnetic separation and culture RevealTM and VIPTM for the detection of E. coli O157 in enrichment cultures of naturallycontaminated raw beef lamb and mixed meat products. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 2001 32 171-175.
8. Chase-Topping M. Gally D. Low C. Matthews L. Woolhouse M. Super-shedding and the link between human infection and livestock carriage of Escherichia coli O157. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 2008 6 904-912.
9. Desmarchelier P.M. Bilge S.S. Fegan N. Mills L. Vary J.C.Jr. Tarr P.I. A PCR specifi c for Escherichia coli O157 based on the rfb locus encoding O157 lipopolysaccharide. J. Clin. Microbiol. 1998 36 1801-1804.
10. Fan H. Long B. Wu X. Bai Y. Development of a Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Assay for sensitive and rapid detection of Cronobacter sakazakii. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 2012 9 1111-1118.
11. Francois P. Tangomo M. Hibbs J. Bonetti E.J. Boehme C.C. Notomi T. Perkins M.D. Schrenzel J. Robustness of a loopmediated isothermal amplification reaction for diagnostic applications. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol. 2011 62 41-48.
12. Fratamico P.M. Bagi L.K. Cray W.C. Jr. Narang N. Yan X. Medina M. Liu Y. Detection by multiplex real-time polymerase chain reaction assays and isolation of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli serogroups O26 O45 O103 O111 O121 and O145 in ground beef. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 2011 8 601-607.
13. Gianviti A. Rosmini F. Caprioli A. Corona R. Matteucci MC. Principato F. Luzzi I. Rizzoni G. Haemolytic-uraemic syndrome in childhood: surveillance and case-control studies in Italy. Italian HUS Study Group. Pediatr. Nephrol. 1994 8 705-9.
14. Gould L.H. Bopp C. Strockbine N. Atkinson R. Baselski V. Body B. Carey R. Crandall C. Hurd S. Kaplan R. Neill M. Shea S. Somsel P. Tobin-D’Angelo M. Griffi n P.M. Gerner-Smidt P. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Recommendations for diagnosis of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia
15. Han F. Ge B. Quantitative detection of Vibrio vulnifi cus in raw oysters by real-time loop-mediated isothermal amplifi cation. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 2010 142 60-66.
16. Hara-Kudo Y. Nemoto J. Ohtsuka K. Segawa Y. Takatori K. Kojima T. Ikedo M. Sensitive and rapid detection of Vero toxinproducing Escherichia coli using loop-mediated isothermal amplification. J. Med. Microbiol. 2007 56 398-406.
17. Hara-Kudo Y. Konishi N. Ohtsuka K. Hiramatsu R Tanaka H Konuma HK Takatori K. Detection of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157 and O26 in food by plating methods and LAMP method: A collaborative study. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 2008 122 156-161.
18. Hill J. Beriwal S. Chandra I. Paul V.K. Kapil A. Singh T. Wadowsky R.M. Singh V. Goyal A. Jahnukainen T. Johnson J.R. Tarr P.I. Vats A. Loop-mediated isothermal amplifi cation assay for rapid detection of common strains of Escherichia coli. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2008 46 2800-2804.
19. Jeníková G. Pazlarová J. Demnerová K. Detection of Salmonella in food samples by the combination of immunomagnetic separation and PCR assay. Int. Microbiol. 2000 3 225-229.
20. Jeon S.J. Elzo M. Dilorenzo N. Lamb G.C. Jeong K.C. Evaluation of animal genetic and physiological factors that affect the prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 in cattle. PLoS One 2013 8 e55728.
21. Jiang R. Long B. Zeng G. Wang D. Fan H. Wu X. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification for detecting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7: a comparison with PCR. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2012 32 1026-1030.
22. Karch H. Tarr P.I. Bielaszewska M. Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in human medicine. Int. J. Med. Microbiol. 2005 295 405-418.
23. Kou X. Wu Q. Zhang J. Fan H. Development and application of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay on rapid and sensitive detection of rotavirus in fecal samples and artifi - cially seeded oysters. Food Contr. 2014 41 151-157.
24. Mckee M.L. O’Brien A.D. Investigation of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 adherence characteristics and invasion potential reveals a new attachment pattern shared by intestinal E.coli. Infect Immun. 1995 63 2070-2074.
25. Mori Y. Nagamine K. Tomita N. Notomi T. Detection of loopmediated isothermal amplification reaction by turbidity derived from magnesium pyrophosphate formation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2001 289 150-154.
26. Mori Y. Notomi T. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP): a rapid accurate and cost-effective diagnostic method for infectious diseases. J. Infect. Chemother. 2009 15 62-69.
27. Nagamine K. Watanage K. Ohtsuka K. Hase T. Notomi T. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification reaction using a nondenatured template. Clin. Chem. 2001 47 1742-1743.
28. Nagamine K. Hase T. Notomi T. Accelerated reaction by loopmediated isothermal amplification using loop primers. Mol. Cell. Probes 2002 16 223-229.
29. Nemoto J. Sugawara C. Akahane K. Hashimoto K. Kojima T. Ikedo M. Konuma H. Hara-Kudo Y. Rapid and specific detection
of the thermostable direct hemolysin gene in Vibrio parahaemolyticus by loop-mediated isothermal amplification. J. Food Prot. 2009 72 748-754.
30. Notomi T. Okayama H. Masubuchi H. Yonekawa T. Watanabe K. Amino N. Hase T. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000 28 E63.
31. Onoue Y. Konuma H. Nakagawa H. Hara-Kudo Y. Fujita T. Kumagai S. Collaborative evaluation of detection methods for Escherichia coli O157:H7 from radish sprouts and ground beef. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 1999 46 27-36.
32. Orskov F. Orskov I. Escherichia coli serotyping and disease in man and animals. Can. J. Microbiol. 1992 38 699-704.
33. Pruimboom-Brees I.M. Morgan T.W. Ackermann M.R. Nystrom E.D. Samuel J.E. Cornick N.A. Moon H.W. Cattle lack vascular receptors for Escherichia coli O157:H7 Shiga toxins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2000 97 10325-10329.
34. Ravan H. Amandadi M. Sanadgol N. A highly specific and sensitive loop-mediated isothermal amplification method for the detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Microb. Pathogen. 2016 91 161-165.
35. Saito R. Misawa Y. Moriya K. Koike K. Ubukata K. Okamura N. Development and evaluation of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid detection of Mycoplasma pneumonia. J. Med. Microbiol. 2005 54 1037-1041.
36. Sattabongkot J. Tsuboi T. Han E.T. Bantuchai S. Buates S. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid diagnosis of malaria infections in an area of endemicity in Thailand. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 52 1471-1477.
37. Sen K. Ashbolt N.J. Environmental Microbiology: Current Technology and Water Application. 2011 Caister Academic Press Norfolk UK ISBN; 978(1): 904455-70-7.
38. Sharma V.K. Dean-Nystrom E.A. Detection of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 by using a multiplex real-time PCR assay for genes encoding intimin and Shiga toxins. Vet. Microbiol. 2003 93 247-260.
39. Taguchi T. Arakaki A. Takeyama H. Haraguchi S. Yoshino M. Kaneko M. Detection of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts using a microfluidic device equipped with the SUS micromesh and FITC. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2007 96 272-280.
40. Wang F. Jiang L. Ge B. Loop-mediated isothermal amplifi cation assays for detecting shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in ground beef and human stools. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2012 50 91-97.
41. Wang Y. Wang Y. Luo L. Liu D. Luo X. Xu Y. Hu S. Niu L. Xu J. Ye C. Rapid and sensitive detection of Shigella spp. and Salmonella spp. by Multiple Endonuclease Restriction Real- Time Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Technique. Front. Microbiol. 2015 6 1400.
42. Wani S.A. Hussain I. Nabi A. Fayaz I. Nishikawa Y. Variants of eae and stx genes of atypical enteropathogenic Escherichia coli and non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli from calves. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 2007 45 610-615.
43. Wolf S. Williamson W.M. Hewitt J. Rivera-Aban M. Lin S. Ball A. Scholes P. Greening GE. Sensitive multiplex real-time reverse transcription-PCR assay for the detection of human and animal noroviruses in clinical and environmental samples. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2007 73 5464-5470.
44. Wright D.J. Chapman P.A. Siddons C.A. Immunomagnetic separation as a sensitive method for isolating E. coli O157 from food samples. Epidemiol. Infect. 1994 113 31-39.
45. Xiong Y. Wang P. Lan R. Ye C. Wang H. Ren J. Jing H. Wang Y. Zhou Z. Bai X. Cui Z. Luo X. Zhao A. Wang Y. Zhang S. Sun H. Wang L. Xu J. A novel Escherichia coli O157:H7 clone causing a major hemolytic uremic syndrome outbreak in China. PLoS One 2012 7 e36144.
46. Yamazaki W. Ishibashi M. Kawahara R. Inoue K. Development of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for sensitive and rapid detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus. BMC Microbiol. 2008 8 163.
47. Zeng J. Wei H. Zhang L. Liu X. Zhang H. Cheng J. Ma D. Zhang X. Fu P. Liu L. Rapid detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in raw oysters using immunomagnetic separation combined with loop-mediated isothermal amplifi cation. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 2014 174 123-128.
48. Zhao X. Li Y. Wang L. You L. Xu Z. Li L. He X. Liu Y. Wang J. Yang L. Development and application of a loopmediated isothermal amplification method on rapid detection Escherichia coli O157 strains from food samples. Mol. Biol. Rep. 2010 37 2183-2188.