The effects of blue and UV-A (365 nm)/UV-C (254 nm) or their combinations on the levels of total flavonoids, rutin, quercetin, phenylalanine ammonialyase (PAL), chalcone isomerase (CHI), rutin degrading enzymes (RDEs) and 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging activity in tartary buckwheat sprouts were investigated in this study. The total flavonoids content in the tartary buckwheat sprouts irradiated with blue light followed by UV-C (BL+UV-C) raised by 10%, compared with the opposite combination sequence (UV-C+BL). However, blue light did not show the same results when combined with UV-A, and their combinations on the accumulation of total flavonoids were still lower than that of UV-A/UV-C. Key enzymes (PAL, CHI and RDEs) revealed a significant correlation with total flavonoids in tartary buckwheat sprouts.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Assis J.S. Maldonado R. Munoz T. Escribano M.I. Merodio C. Effect of high carbon dioxide concentration on PAL activity and phenolic contents in ripening cherimoya fruit. Postharv. Biol. Tecchnol. 2001 23 33–39.
2. Caldwell M.M. Bjorn L.O. Bomman J.F. Flint S.D. Kulandaivelu G. Teramura M. Tevini M. Effect of increased solar ultraviolet radiation on terrestrial ecosystem. J. Photoch. Photobiol. B. 1998 46 40–52.
3. Chen K. Feng H. Zhang M. Wang X. Nitric oxide alleviates oxidative damage in the green algae Chlorella pyrenoidosa caused by UV-Bradiation. Folia Microbiol. 20 03 48 389–393.
4. Chen P. Gu J.J. A rapid measurement of rutin-degrading enzyme activity in extract of tartary buckwheat seeds. Food Bioprod. Process. 2011 89 81–85.
5. Cortell J.M. Kennedy J.A. Effect of shading on accumulation of flavonoid compounds in (Vitis vinifera L.) pinot noir fruit and extraction in a model system. J. Agr. Food Chem. 2006 54 8510–852.
6. Creasy L.L. The increase in phenylalanine ammonia-lyase activity in strawberry leaf disks and its correlation with flavonoid synthesis. Phytochemistry 1968 3 441–446.
7. Jenkins G.I. UV and blue light signal transduction in Arabidopsis plant. Plant Cell Environ. 1997 20 773–778.
8. Khatami F. Ghanati F. Effects of UV irradiation on cell viability anthocyanin and flavonoid contents of callus-cultured Malva neglecta cells. ICLST 2011 3 202–204.
9. Kim S.L. Kim S.K. Park C.H. Introduction and nutritional evaluation of buckwheat sprouts as a new vegetable. Food Res. Int. 2004 37 319–327.
10. Koes R.E. Quattrocchio F. Mol J.N.M. The flavonoid bio-synthetic pathway in plants: function and evolution. BioEssays1994 16 123–132.
11. Liang B. Huang X.H. Zhang G.S. Zhang F. Zhou Q. Effect of Lanthanum on plants under supplementary ultraviolet-B radiation: Effect of Lanthanum on flavonoid contents in soybean seedlings exposed to supplementary ultraviolet-B radiation. J. Rare Earth. 2006 24 613–616.
12. Lister C.E. Lancaster J.E. Walker J.R. Developmental changes in enzymes of flavonoid biosynthesis in the skins of red and green apple cultivars. J. Sci. Food Agr. 1996 71 313–320.
13. Lois R. Accumulation of UV-absorbing flavonoids induced by UV-B radiation in Ambidopsis thaliana L. Planta 1994 194 498–503.
14. Matsuda R.K. Ohashi-Kaneko K. Fujiwara K. Kurata. Effects of blue light deficiency on acclimation of light energy partitioning in PSII and CO2 assimilation capacity to high irradiance in spinach leaves. Plant Cell Physiol. 2008 49 664–670.
15. Nakamura K. Naramoto K. Koyama M. Blood-pressure-lowering effect of fermented buckwheat sprouts in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Funct. Foods 2013 5 406–415.
16. Nakajima K. Yoshie-Stark Y. Ogushi M. Comparison of ACE inhibitory and DPPH radical scavenging activities of fish muscle hydrolysates. Food Chem. 2009 114 844–851.
17. Ohl S. Hahlbrock K. Schǎfer E. A stable blue light derived signal modulates ultraviolet light induced activation of the chalcone synthase gene in cultured parsley cells. Planta 1989 177 228–236.
18. Pietta P.G. Flavonoids as antioxidants. J. Nat. Prod. 2000 63 1035–1042.
19. Stockova L. Matejova E. Janovska D. Sykorova S. Comparison of analytical methods for rutin determination in tartary buckwheat. Chem. Listy 2009 103 827–831.
20. Saber N. Abou-Zeid H. Barakat S. Effect of radiation quality on phenylalanine ammonia-lyase and pigment content in the shoots of broad bean (Vicia faba) seedlings. Phyton (Horn Austria) 1998 38 269–279.
21. Stapleton A.E. Walbot V. Flavonoids can protect maize DNA from the induction of ultraviolet radiation damage. Plant Physiol. 1994 105 881–889.
22. T surunaga Y. Takahashi T. Katsube T. Kudo A. Kuramitsu O. Ishiwata M. Matsumoto S. Effects of UV-B irradiation on the levels of anthocyanin rutin and radical scavenging activity of buckwheat sprouts. Food Chem. 2013 141 552–556.
23. Takahata Y. Kai Y. Tanaka M. Nakayama H. Yoshinaga M. Enlargement of the variances in amount and composition of anthocyanin pigments in sweetpotato storage roots and their effect on the differences in DPPH radical-scavenging activity. Sci. Hort-Amsterdam 2011 127 469–474.
24. Watanabe M. An anthocyanin compound in buckwheat sprouts and its contribution to antioxidant capacity. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 2007 71 579–582.
25. Wang L. Li X.D. Niu M. Wang R. Chen Z.X. Effect of additives on flavonoids D-chiro-Inositol and trypsin inhibitor during the germination of tartary buckwheat seeds. J. Cereal Sci. 2013 58 348–354.
26. Whitelam G. Halliday K. Light and plant development. 2007. Blackwell Publishing Oxford UK.
27. Winkel-Shirley B. Flavonoid biosynthesis. A colorful model for genetics biochemistry cell biology and biotechnology. Plant Physiol. 2001 126 485–493.
28. Yang J.X. Guo J. Yuan J.F. In vitro antioxidant properties of rutin. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 2008 41 1060–1066.
29. Zhang M. An L. Feng H. Chen T. Chen K. Liu Y. Tang H. Wang C.H. The cascade mechanisms of nitric oxide as second messenger of ultraviolet – B in inhibiting mesocotyl elongation. Photochem. Photobiol. 2003 77 219–225.