The development of fruit-based products with a high proportion of fruit and good nutritional, sensory and functional properties may help to diversify market supply. These products ought to be attractive, especially to young people, easy to consume and have a reasonably long shelf life. Three recipes of freeze-dried strawberry jelly with low-methoxyl pectin (LMP) (2.0, 2.5, 3.5% LMP) with the use of strawberry pulp were obtained and physical properties were investigated to choose the sample with the best quality factors. The quantity of added low-methoxyl pectin influences the physical properties of freeze-dried strawberry jellies. The recipe with 2.5% addition of low-methoxyl pectin was chosen based on the results obtained. Despite the relatively high friability and low hardness, and higher shrinkage, it has a fast rate of rehydration. It is also characterised by high porosity and the parameters of the colour most similar to the raw material and low water content and activity.
1. Anonymous, Colour and quality. 1999, Heidelberg Druckmaschinen AG, Kurfursten-Anlage, pp. 52-60 (in Polish).
2. Ayala-Zavala J.F., Wang S.Y., Wang C.Y., Effect of storage temperatures on antioxidant capacity and aroma compounds in strawberry fruit. LWT - Food Sci. Technol., 2004, 37, 687- -695.
3. Cardoso S.M., Coimbra M.A., Lopes da Silva J.A.L., Temperature dependence of the formation and melting od pectin-Ca2+ networks: a rheological study. Food Hydrocoll., 2003, 17, 801- -807.
4. Cheney P.A., Stares J., Vernon A.J., Food product thickened or gelled with carrageenan and glucomanna. United States Patent US4427704. 1984.
5. Ciurzyńska A., Lenart A., Colour changes of freeze-dried strawberries osmotically dehydrated before drying. Food Techn. Operations New Vistas, 2009, 217-223.
6. Ciurzyńska A., Lenart A., Rehydration and sorption properties of osmotically pretreated freeze-dried strawberries. J. Food Eng., 2010a, 97, 267-274.
7. Ciurzyńska A., Lenart A., Structural impact of osmotically pretreated freeze-dried strawberries on their mechanical properties.Int. J. Food Prop., 2010b, 13, 1134-1149.
8. Ciurzyńska A., Lenart A., Kawka P., Infl uence of chemical composition and structure on sorption properties of freeze - dried pumpkin. Drying Techn., 2013a, 31, 655-665.
9. Ciurzyńska A., Lenart A., Traczyk W., Infl uence of chemical composition and structure of strawberry gels on the chosen physical properties of freeze-dried fi nal product. Italian J. Food Sci., 2013b, 2, 149-159.
10. Ciurzyńska A., Piotrowski D., Lenart A., Łukasik P., Sorption properties of vacuum-dried strawberries. Drying Techn., 2012, 30, 850-858.
11. Dhansekharan K.M., Grald E.W., Matur R., How flow modelling benefi ts the food industry. Food Techn., 2004, 58, 32-35.
12. Drouzas A.E., Tsami E., Saravacos G.D., Microwave/vacuum drying of model fruit gels. J. Food Eng., 1999, 39, 117-122.
13. Fang Y., Al-Assaf S., Philips G.O., Nishinari K., Funami T., William P.A., Binding behavior of calcium to polyuronates: comparison of pectin with alginate. Carboh. Polym., 2008, 72, 334-341.
14. Galus S., Lenart A., Development and characterization of composite edible fi lms based on sodium alginate and pectin. J. Food Eng., 2013, 115, 459-465.
15. Galus S., Lenart A., Voilley A., Debeaufort F., Effect of oxidized potato starch on the physicochemical properties of soy protein isolate-based edible fi lms. Food Techn. Biotech., 2013, 51, 403-409.
16. Haminiuk Ch.W.I., Sierakowski M-R., Branco I.G., Maciel G.M., Masson M.L., Rheological study of ternary mixtures and pectin gels of red fruit pulps. Int. J. Food Sci. Techn., 2007, 42, 629-639.
17. Hoad C.L., Rayment P., Spiller R.C., Marciani L., Alonso B.C., Traynor C. et al., In vivo imaging of intragastric gelation and its effect on satiety in humans. J. Nutr., 2004, 134, 2293-2300.
18. Kaleta A., Górnicki K., Wierzbicka A., Pacak-Żuk S., Investigation of course of rehydration of dried parsley root slices. Acta Agrophys., 2008, 12, 689-698 (in Polish).
19. Kastner H., Einhorn-Stoll U., Senge B., Structure formation in sugar containing pectin gels. Infl uence of Ca2+ on the gelation of low-metoxylated pectin at acidic pH. Food Hydrocoll., 2012, 27, 42-49.
21. Martin-Esparza M.E., Escriche I., Penagos L., Martinez-Navarrete N., Signifi cance of osmotic temperature treatment and storage time on physical and chemical properties of a strawberry- gel product. J. Sci. Food Agric., 2011, 91, 894-904.
22. Martinez-Navarrete N., Camacho M.M., Garcia-Martinez E., Martin-Esparza M.E., Development of gel products containing fruit pieces using osmotic treatments without by-product generation. 2007, in: Focus on Food Engineering Research Development (ed. Pletney V.). New York, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, pp. 307-337.
23. Marudova M., MacDougall A.J., Ring S.G., Pectin-chitosan interactions and gel formation. Carboh. Res., 2004, 339, 1933--1939.
24. Maskan M., Drying, shrinkage and rehydration characteristics of kiwifruits during hot air and microwave drying. J. Food Eng., 2001, 48, 177-182.
25. Nawirska A., Figiel A., Kucharska A.Z., Sokół-Łętowska A., Biesiada A., Drying kinetics and quality parameters of pumpkin slices dehydrated using different methods. J. Food Eng., 2009, 94, 14-20.
26. Nussinovitch A., Zvitov-Marabi R., Unique shape, surface and porosity of dried electrifi ed alginate gels. Food Hydrocoll., 2008, 22, 364-372.
27. Nussinovitch A., Corradini M.G., Normand M.D., Peleg M., Effect of sucrose on the mechanical and acoustic properties of freeze-dried agar, ĸ-carrageenan and gellan gels. J. Text.Stud., 2000, 31, 205-223.
28. Nussinovitch A., Velez-Silvestre R., Peleg M., Compressive characteristics of freeze dried agar and alginate gel sponges. Biotechnol. Progr., 1993, 9, 101-104.
29. Pasławska M., Pełka A., The re-constitutional properties and colour of dried strawberries. Żywność, Nauka, Technologia, Jakość, 2006, 1(46) 93-99 Supplement (in Polish).
30. Pasman W.J., Saris W.H.M., Wauters M.A.J., Wasterterp-Platenga M.S., Effect of one week of fi bre supplementation on hunger and satiety rating and energy intake. Appetite, 1997, 29, 77-87.
31. Półtorak A., An analysis of physical property changes of semi- -fi nished bakery products and their effect on fi nished product texture. Inż. Roln., 2007, 11, 93, 347-354 (in Polish).
32. Półtorak A., Wierzbicka A., Application of the instrumental methods to evaluating the structure of half-fi nished fruit products used to production of ready-to-eat food. Inż. Roln., 2005, 9, 71, 393-400 (in Polish).
33. Sheiham A., Dietary effects on dental diseases. Public Health Nutr., 2001, 4(2b), 569-591.
34. Tamon H., Ishizaka H., Yamamoto T., Suzuki T., Influence of freeze-drying conditions on the mesoporosity of organic gels as carbon precursors. Carbon, 2000, 38, 1099-1105.
35. Wang S.Y., Lin H.S., Antioxidant activity in fruit and leaves of blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry varies with cultivar and developmental stage. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2000, 48, 140-146.
36. Wierzbicka A., Changes in texture of selected meat products as a function of the type of used additional substance. Inż. Roln., 2007, 11, 93, 415-421 (in Polish).
37. Witrowa-Rajchert D., Lewicki P.P., Rehydration properties of plant tissue. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 2006, 41, 1040-1046.
38. Woźnica A., Lenart A., Effect of osmotic dehydration on water adsorption of osmotically freeze-dried strawberries. Inż. Roln., 2006, 10, 82, 523-530 (in Polish).