Decreasing the amount of sugar added to biscuits is a good strategy to obtain a healthy product. However, a reduction in the quantity of sugar may affect its nutritional value and quality. The feasibility of the combined use of stevia and coffee silverskin for achieving healthier, nutritious and good quality biscuits has been investigated. Ten wheat four biscuit formulations were designed. Sucrose, maltitol and stevia were used as sweeteners and coffee silverskin was used as a natural colouring and as a source of dietary fbre. The quality of the biscuits was evaluated by measuring their moisture, thickness, breaking force and colour. Acrylamide (ACR) and hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) contents were also determined in the interest of food safety. The quality and safety of the innovative biscuits was obtained by an analysis of the sugars, proteins, free amino acids, chlorogenic acid, overall antioxidant capacity and acrylamide after in vitro digestion. Only the stevia biscuits and those added with coffee silverskin extract and the solid residue recovered from the extraction process, were selected for that study. A comparison of the stevia formulated biscuits, with the stevia formula added with silverskin, showed that the added biscuits had a good nutritional quality and improved texture and colour.
1. Abdel-Shaf M., Wei-ning H., Zhen-ni L., Chung O.K., Effects of acrylamide inhibition by asparagynase and sugar substitution on cookie dough rheology and baking attributes. ^pp#^, 2011, 32, 157-167.
2. AOAC Method 925.10. Association of Offcial Analytical Chem-ists. Offcial Methods of the Association of Offcial Analytical Chemists, 1995. 16th edn. Washington, DC.
3. Arribas-Lorenzo G., Fogliano V, Morales F.J., Acrylamide for-mation in cookie system as infuenced by the oil profle and de-gree of oxidation. Eur. Food Res. Techn., 2009, 229, 63-72.
4. Berger F.I., Feld J., Bertow D., Eisenbrand G., Fricker G., Ger-hardt N., Merz K.H., Richling E., Baum M., Biological effects of acrylamide after daily ingestion of various foods in compari-son to water: a study in rats. Mol. Nutr. Food Res., 2011, 55, 389-399.
5. Bilgicli N., Ibanoglu S., Herken E.N., Effect of dietary fbre addition on the selected nutritional properties of cookies. J. Food Eng., 2007, 78, 86-89.
6. CIE Colorimetry Committee. Technical notes: working program on colour differences. Journal of Optical Society of America, 1974, 64, 896-897.
7. Courel M., Ait-Ameur L., Capuano E., Fogliano V, Morales F.J., Courtois F, Birlouez-Aragon I., Effects of formulation and baking conditions on neo-formed contaminants in model cookies. Conference: 6th Chemical Reactions in Food Confer-ence. Czech J. Food Sci., 2009, 27, S93-S95.
8. del Castillo M.D., Ames J.M., Gordon M.H., Effect of roasting on the antioxidant activity of coffee brews. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2002, 50, 3698-3703.
9. del Castillo M.D., Ibáñez E., Amigo M., Herrero M., Plaza M., Ullate M., Application of coffee silverskin in anti-aging and functional feed. 2013. Patent WO 2013/004873.
10. Delgado-Andrade C, Rufán-Henares J.A., Morales F.J., Hydro-xymethylfurfural in commercial biscuits marketed in Spain. J. Food Nutr. Res., 2009, 48, 14-19.
12. Hollebeeck S., Borlon F., Schneider Y.J., Larondelle Y., Rogez H., Development of a standardised human in vitro digestion pro-tocol based on macronutrient digestion using response surface methodology Food Chem., 2013, 138, 1936-1944.
13. Kukurová K., Ciesarova Z., Mogol B.A., Acar O.C., Gokmen V, Raising agents strongly infuence acrylamide and HMF formation in cookies and conditions for asparaginase activity in dough. Eur. Food Res. Technol., 2013, 237, 1-8.
14. Laguna L., Vallons KJR., Jurgens A., Sanz T., Understanding the effect of sugar and sugar replacement in short dough biscuits. Food Bioprocess Technol., 2013, 6, 3143-3154.
15. Martinez-Cervera S., Salvador A., Sanz T., Comparison of dif-ferent polyols as total sucrose replacers in muffns: thermal, rhe-ological, texture and acceptability properties. Food Hydrocoll., 2014, 35, 1-8.
16. Martinez-Saez N., Ullate M., Martín-Cabrejas M.A., Martorell P., Genovés S., Ramón D., del Castillo M.D., A novel antioxi-dant beverage for body weight control based on coffee silverskin. Food Chem., 2014, 150, 227-234.
17. McLaren K., Riggs B., The SDC recommended colour differ-ence formula-change to CIELAB. J. Soc. Dyers Colour, 1976, 92, 337-338.
18. Michalska A., Amigo-Benavent M., Zielinski H., del Castillo M.D., Effect of bread making on formation of Maillard reaction products contributing to the overall antioxidant activity of rye bread. J. Cereal Sci., 2008, 48, 123-132.
19. Morales F.J., Hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) and related com-pounds. 2009, in: Process-Induced Food Toxicants and Health Risks (eds. R. Stadler, D. Lineback). John Wiley & Sons, Chapter 2.5, pp. 135-174.
20. Oki T., Nagai S., Yoshinaga M., Nishiba Y., Contribution of β-car-otene to radical scavenging capacity varies among orange-feshed sweet potato cultivars. Food Sci. Technol. Res., 2006, 12, 156-160.
21. Pastoriza S., Delgado-Andrade C., Haro A., Rufan-Henares J.A., A physiologic approach to test the global antioxidant re-sponse of foods. The GAR method. Food Chem., 2011, 129, 1926-1932.
22. Pedreschi F., Mariotti M., Granby K., Current issues in di-etary acrylamide: formation, mitigation and risk assessment. J. Sci. Food Agric., 2014, 94, 9-20.
23. Popov-Raljic J.V, Mastilovic J.S., Lalicic-Petronijevic J.G., Kev-resan Z.S., Demin M.A., Sensory and color properties of dietary cookies with different fber sources during 180 days of storage. Hemijska Industrija, 2013, 67, 123-134.
24. Pourfarzad A., Mahdavian-Mehr H., Sedaghat N., Coffee sil-verskin as a source of dietary fbre in bread-making: Optimization of chemical treatment using response surface methodology. LWT-Food Sci. Technol., 2013, 50, 599-606.
25. Rufán-Henares J.A., Arribas-Lorenzo G., Morales F.J., Acryl-amide content of selected Spanish foods: Survey of biscuits and bread derivatives. Food Add. Contam., 2007, 24, 343-350.
26. Rufán-Henares J.A., Delgado-Andrade C, Morales F.J., Application of a fast high performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous determination of furanic compounds and glu-cosylisomaltol in breakfast cereals. J. A.O.A.C. Int., 2006, 89, 161-165.
27. Sharma R, Yavad R., Manivannan E., Study of effect of Stevia re-baudiana Bertoni on oxidative stress in type-2 diabetic rat mod-els. Biomed. Aging Pathol., 2012, 2, 126-131.
28. Shivanna N., Naika M., Khanum F., Kaul VK., Antioxidant, anti-diabetic and renal protective properties of Stevia rebaudi-ana. J. Diab. Complic, 2013, 27, 103-113.
29. Vallejo F., Gil-Izquierdo A., Perez-Vicente A., Garcia-Vigueras C, In vitro gastrointestinal digestion of broccoli inforescence phenolic compounds, glucosinolates, and vitamin C. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2004, 52, 135-138.