Increasing the potency of antihypertensive food-derived peptides is a critical and important step in the development of natural drugs for cardiovascular diseases prevention. We have proposed the egg-white protein precipitate (EWPP) obtained as a byproduct of cystatin and lysozyme isolation as a potential source of ACE-inhibitory peptides derived by pepsin digestion. The results indicated that hydrolysis of EWPP with pepsin produced the ACE inhibitory activity. During 3-h hydrolysis (DH: 38.3%), the IC50 value of EWPP hydrolysate was significantly increased and finally reached IC50=643.1 μg/mL. This hydrolysate was further fractionated by RP-HPLC. The peptide fraction exhibiting the highest ACE inhibitory activity was rechromatographed. Three peptide subfractions exhibiting ACE-inhibitory activities of 69.0, 25.0, and 37.6 μg/mL were further characterised. In each of them, mixtures of peptides with different molecular masses were observed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Chrzanowska J. Kołaczkowska M. Production of extracellular proteolytic enzymes by Beauveria bassiana. Acta Myc. 1998 33 277-285.
2. Cushman D.W. Cheung H.S. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem. Pharmacol. 1971 20 1637-1648.
3. Davalõs A. Miguel M. Bartolome B. López-Fandiňo R. Antioxidant activity of peptides derived from egg white proteins by enzymatic hydrolysis. J. Food Prot. 2004 67 1939-1944.
4. Erdmann K. Cheung B.W.Y. Schröder H. The possible roles of food derived bioactive peptides in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. J. Nutr. Biochem. 2008 19 643-654.
5. Fujita H. Sasaki R. Yoshikawa M. Potentiation of the antihypertensive activity of orally administered Ovokinin a vasorelaxing peptide derived from ovalbumin by emulsification in egg phosphatidyl- choline. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 1995 59 2344-2345.
6. Fujita H. Yokoyama K. Yoshikawa M. Classification and antihypertensive activity of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from food proteins. J. Food Sci. 2000 65 564-569.
7. Ge S.J. Zhang L.X. Control of the degree of hydrolysis of a protein modification with immobilized protease by the pH-drop method. Acta Biotech. 1993 13 151-160.
8. Gibbs B.F. Zougman A. Masse R. Mulligan C. Production and characterization of bioactive peptides from soy hydrolysate and soy-fermented food. Food Res. Int. 2004 37 123-131.
9. Gobbetti M. Ferranti P. Smacchi E. Goffredi F. Addeo F. Production of angiotensin-I-converting-enzyme-inhibitory peptides in fermented milks started by Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus SS1 and Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris FT4. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2000 66 3898-3904.
10. Graszkiewicz A. Żelazko M. Trziszka T. Polanowski A. Antioxidative capacity of hydrolysates of hen egg proteins. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci. 2007 57 195-199.
11. Hartmann R. Meisel H. Food-derived peptides with biological activity: from research to food applications. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 2007 18 163-169.
12. Kuchroo C.N. Rahilly J. Fox P.F. Assessment of proteolysis in cheese by reaction with trinitrobenzene sulphonic acid. Irish J. Food Sci. Technol. 1983 7 129-133.
13. Liu J.B. Yu Z.P. Zhao W.Z. Lin S.Y. Wang E.L. Zhang Y. Hao Y. Wang Z.Z. Chen F. Isolation and identification of angiotensin- converting enzyme inhibitory peptides from egg-white protein hydrolysates. Food Chem. 2010 122 1159-1163.
14. Lowry O.H. Rosebrough N.J. Farr A.L. Randal R.J. Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 1951 193 265-275.
15. Matoba N. Doyama N. Yamada Y. Maruyama N. Utsumi S. Yoshikawa M. Design and production of genetically modified soybean protein with anti-hypertensive activity by incorporating potent analogue of Ovokinin(2-7). FEBS Lett. 2001 497 50-54.
16. Miguel M. Alvarez Y. Lopez-Fandino R. Alonso M. Salaices M. Vasodilator effects of peptides derived from egg white proteins. Reg. Peptides 2007 140 131-135.
17. Miguel M. Recio I. Gomez-Ruiz J.A. Ramos M. Lopez-Fandino R. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory activity of peptides derived from egg white proteins by enzymatic hydrolysis. J. Food Prot. 2004 67 1914-1920.
18. Mullally M.M. Meisel H. Fitz-Gerald R.J. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory activities of gastric and pancreatic proteinase digests of whey protein. Int. Dairy J. 1997 7 299-303.
19. Nakamura Y. Yamamoto N. Sakai K. Okubo A. Yamazaki S. Takano T. Purification and characterization of angiotensin-I- -converting enzyme inhibitors from sour milk. J. Dairy Sci. 1995 78 777-783.
20. Park P.J. Jung W.K. Nam K.S. Shahidi F. Kim S.K. Purification and characterization of antioxidative peptides from protein hydrolysate of lecithin-free egg yolk. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 2001 78 651-656.
21. Saiga A. Okumura T. Makihara T. Katsuda S.I. Miorimatsu F. Nishimura T. Action mechanism of an angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptide derived from chicken breast muscle. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2006 54 942-945.
22. Saiga A. Tanabe S. Nishimura T. Antioxidant activity of peptides obtained from porcine myofibrillar proteins by protease treatment. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2003 51 3661-3667.
23. Sakanaka S. Tachibana Y. Active oxygen scavenging activity of egg-yolk protein hydrolysates and their effects on lipid oxidation in beef and tuna homogenates. Food Chem. 2006 95 243-249.
24. Silva S.V. Malcata F.X. Caseins as source of bioactive peptides. Int. Dairy J. 2005 15 1-15.
25. Silvestre M.P.C. Review of methods for the analysis of protein hydrolysates. Food Chem. 1997 60 263-271.
26. Smacchi E. Gobbetti M. Bioactive peptides in diary products: synthesis and interaction with proteolytic enzymes. Food Microbiol. 2000 17 129-141.
27. Sokołowska A. Kubiak A. Trziszka T. Polanowski A. Rapid one step separation of proteinaceous agents of antimicrobial activity from hen’s egg white. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci. 2007 57 499-502.
28. Trziszka T. Polanowski A. Saleh Y. Kopeć W. Egg white isolation and its medical application. http://www.animalscience.com/ uploads/additionalfiles/wpsaverona.htm 2006.
29. Yamada Y. Matoba N. Usui H. Onishi K. Yoshikawa M. Design of a highly potent anti-hypertensive peptide based on ovokinin( 2-7). Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 2002 66 1213-1217.
30. Zhipeng Y. Wenzhu Z. Jingbo L. Jing L. Feng C. QIGLF a novel angiotensin I-converting enzyme-inhibitory peptide from egg white protein. J. Sci. Food Agric. 2011 6 921-926.