A series of thiazole derivatives were synthesized and structurally elucidated by IR, 1H NMR, 13C NMR, mass and elemental analyses. The prepared compounds were screened for their cytotoxic activity against Leukemia HL-60 cell line. Compound 4b was considered as the most promising antitumor candidate among the tested compounds. Mechanism of action of compound 4b evaluated by flow cytometric assay revealed cell cycle arrest at G2/M phase and pre-G1 apoptosis. The ratio of apoptosis was also determined. Moreover, compound 4b increased the concentration of caspase 3 by 4 fold more than untreated control.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Schnurch M. Waldner Hilber K. & Mihovilovic M. D. (2011). Synthesis of 5-arylated N-arylthiazole-2-amines as potential skeletal muscle cell differentiation promoters. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 21(7) 2149–2154. doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.01.123.
2. Yadav P.S. Devprakash & SenthilKumar G.P. (2011). Benzothiazole: different methods of synthesis and diverse biological activities. Int. Pharm. Sci. Drug Res. 3 1–7.
3. Zaki I. Abdelhameid M.K. El-Deen I.M. Wahab A.H. A.A. Ashmawy A.M. & Mohamed K.O. (2018). Design synthesis and screening of 1 2 4-triazinone derivatives as potential antitumor agents with apoptosis inducing activity on MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 156 563–579. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2018.07.003.
4. Hassan F.A. (2012). Synthesis characterization anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of some new thiazole derivatives. Int. J. Appl. Sci. Technol. 2 180–187.
5. El-Sayed E.H. Moustafa A.Y. & El-Ata S.A.A. (2018). Synthesis of New 2-N-Substituted Amino-5-aryl-13-thiazoles as Antitumor Agents. Latin Amer. J. Pharm. 37 1594–1601.
6. Al-Ghareb M.S. El-Hady H.A. & Abd-Allah R.M. (2018). In Vitro Antitumor Evaluation of Some New Tetra Substituted 124-Triazines. Latin Amer. J. Pharm. 37 1035–1045.
7. Minh-An T.N. Kumar M.A. Chang S.H. Kim M.P. Kim J.A. & Lee K.D. (2014). Synthesis Anticancer and Antioxidant Activity of Novel 24-Disubstituted Thiazoles. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 35(6) 1619–1624. https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2014.35.6.1619.
8. Mahmoodi N.O. Parvizi J. Sharifzadeh B. & Rassa M. (2013). Facile Regioselective Synthesis of Novel bis Thiazole Derivatives and Their Antimicrobial Activity. Arch. Pharm. Chem. Life Sci. 346(12) 860–864. doi.org/10.1002/ardp.201300187.
9. Silverman R.B. (1992). The Organic Chemistry Of Drug Design And Drug Action Academic Press; London 12 263.
10. Pani A. Mrongiu M.E. Pinna E. Scintu F. Perra. C. Demontis A. Manfredini S. & La-Colla P. (1998). In vitro and in vivo antiproliferative activity of IPCAR a new pyrazole nucleoside analog. Anticancer Res. 18 2623–2630.
11. Krapcho A.P. Menta E. Olive A. Didomenica R. Fiocchi L. Maroesch M.E. Gallagher C.E. Hacker M.P. Beggiolin G. Giullani F.C. Pezzoni G. & Spinelli S. (1998). Synthesis and Antitumor Evaluation of 25-Disubstituted-Indazolo[43-gh]isoquinolin-6(2H)-ones (9-Aza-anthrapyraz oles). J. Med. Chem. 41 5429–5444. DOI: 10.1021/jm9804432.
12. Daidone G. Maggio B. Plescia S. Raffa D. Musiu C. Milia C. Perra G. & Marongiu M.E. (1998). Antimicrobial and antineoplastic activities of new 4-diazopyrazole derivatives. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 33 375–382. doi.org/10.1016/S0223-5234(98)80004-4.
13. Kubba A.A.R.M. & Rahim N.A.H.A. (2018). Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of new-[2-amino-4-(4-chloro-/4-bromophenyl)-13-thiazole derivatives. J. Pharm. Res. 12(1) 145–150.
14. de Santa T.I. de Oliveira Barbosa M. de Moraes Gomes P.A.T. da Cruz A.C.N. da Silva T.G. & Leita A.C.L. (2018). Synthesis anticancer activity and mechanism of action of new thiazole derivatives. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 144 874–886. doi. org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.12.040.