The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of epoxy resin curing agents and aluminium surface modification on the properties of adhesive joints which were subjected to aging under thermal shock conditions. Composites containing reinforced aramid and carbon fibres with aluminium flat profiles (alloy Al 5754) were tested under shear conditions. Epoxy resin (Araldite LY 1564) with amine curing agents (Aradur 3486, Aradur 3487 and Aradur 3405) was used as a matrix. Composites were made using vacuum-assisted contact lamination. The degree of degradation was assessed on the basis of lap shear strength of adhesive joints in accordance with EN ISO 1465:2009. The research showed that epoxy composite samples based on Aradur 3405 (accelerated aliphatic polyamine) and sanded surface of aluminium presented the best lap shear adhesive strength, because this composite has the largest roughness. The hardness of the used adhesive is slightly increased with the cycle number.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Kuczmaszewski J. Fundamentals of metal-metal adhesive joint design. Lublin University of Technology Polish Academy of Sciences Lublin 2006.
2. Godzimirski J. Adhesive plastics. Application in repair of technical equipment WNT Warsaw 2010 (in Polish).
3. Czaplicki J. Ćwikliński J. Godzimirski J. & Konar P. Adhesive plastics. Transport and Communication Publishers Warsaw 1987 (in Polish).
4. Bereska B. Iłakowska J. Czaja K. & Bereska A. (2014) Hardeners for epoxy resins. Przem. Chem. - Chemical Industry 93/4:443-448 DOI: dx.medra.org/10.12916/przemchem.2014.443.
5. da Silva L.F.M. & Lopes M.J.C.Q. (2009) Joint strength optimization by the mixed-adhesive technique. Int. J. Adhes. Adhes. 29(5): 509-514 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2008.09.009.
6. Banea M.D. & Da Silva L.F.M. (2009) Adhesively bonded joints in composite materials: an overview. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications 223(1) 1-18 DOI: 10.1243/14644207JMDA219.
7. Wingfield J.R.J. (1993) Treatment of composite surfaces for adhesive bonding. Int. J. Adhes. Adhes 13 3 151-156. DOI 10.1016/0143-7496(93)90036-9.
8. Rudawska A. Filipek P. & Kowalska B. (2016) The choosen issues of epoxy compounds modification. Polymer Processing 170(22) 91-99.
9. Szymańska J. Kostrzewa M. Bakar M. & Białkowska A. (2017) Study on adhesive properties and curing of reactive liquid rubbers toughened epoxy-clay ternary hybrid nanocomposites. J. Polym. Eng. - online 11.09.201. DOI: 10.1515/polyeng-2017-0099.
10. Palmieri F.L. at al. (2015) Laser surface preparation of epoxy composites for secondary bonding: optimization of ablation depth. Composite Materials. SAMPE Baltimore Conference and Exhibition Baltimore USA 18-21 May 2015.
11. Liston E.M. Martinu L. & Wertheimer M.R. (1993) Plasma surface modification of polymers for improved adhesion: a critical review. J. Adhes. Sci. Techno. 7(10) 1091-1127. DOI: 10.1163/156856193X00600.
12. Rudawska A. Reszka M. & Warda T. et al. (2016) Milling as a method of surface pre-treatment of steel for adhesive bonding. J. Adhes. Sci. Technol. 30(23) 2619-2636. DOI.org/10.1080/01694243.2016.1191585.
13. Rudawska A. Bociąga E. & Olewnik-Kruszkowska E. (2017) The effect of primers on adhesive properties and strength of adhesive joints made with polyurethane adhesives. J. Adhes. Sci. Technol. 31(3) 327-344. doi.org/10.1080/01694243.2016.1215013.
14. Abrahami T.S. Hauffman T. & De Kok J.M.M. et al. (2016) Effect of anodic aluminum oxide chemistry on adhesive bonding of epoxy. J. Phys. Chem.: C 120(35) 19670-19677. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b04957.
15. Martin R. (2008) Ageing of composites. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
16. Harris B (2003) Fatigue in composites Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
17. Hu H. Sun C.T (2003) The equivalence of moisture and temperature in physical aging of polymeric composites. J. Compos. Mater. 37(10) 913-928. doi.org/10.1177/0021998303037010004.
18. Szymiczek M. Rojek M. & Wróbel G. (2016) The influence of the ageing-fatigue degradation on the mechanical properties of glass-reinforced composites. Pol. J. Chem. 18(1) 113-119. doi.org/10.1515/pjct-2016-0017.
19. Wang J. Ganga Rao H. Liang R. & Liu W. (2003) Durability and prediction models of fiber-reinforced polymer composites under various environmental conditions: A critical review. J. Reinf. Plast. Compos. 35(3) 179-211. doi. org/10.1177/0731684415610920.
20. Kuczmaszewski J. & Kłonica M. (2015) Comparative researches of shearing strength of single-lap adhesive bonded joints 316l steel after „thermal shock”. Polymer Processing 164(21) 125-130.
21. EN 1465:2009 (2009) Adhesives - Determination of tensile lap-shear strength of bonded assemblies.
22. Tabal Wholesale (2017) Sheets from aluminium alloys. Available at: http://hurtownia.tabal.pl/stop-5754-gatunekpa11262.html (accessed 10 June 2017).
23. Hull D. & Clyne T.W. (1996) An introduction to composite materials. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
24. Characteristic card of materials (HUNTSMANN).
25. PN-EN ISO 868:2005 (2005) - Plastics and ebonite - Determination of indentation hardness by means of a durometer (Shore hardness).