Halloysite nanotubes (HNTs) reinforced epoxy composites with improved mechanical properties were prepared. The prepared HNTs reinforced epoxy composites demonstrated improved mechanical properties especially the fracture toughness and flexural strength. The flexural modulus of nanocomposite with 6% mHNTs loading was 11.8% higher than that of neat epoxy resin. In addition, the nanocomposites showed improved dimensional stability. The prepared halloysite reinforced epoxy composites were characterized by thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA). The improved properties are attributed to the unique characteristics of HNTs, uniform dispersion of reinforcement and interfacial coupling.
1. Kirkman, J.H. (1977). Possible structure of halloysite disks and cylinders observed in some New Zealand rhyolitic tephras. Clay Miner. 3(12), 199–216.
2. Joussein, E., Petit, S., Churchman, J., Theng, B., Righi, D. & Delvaux, B. (2005). Halloysite clay minerals — a review. Clay Miner. 4(40), 383–426. DOI: 10.1180/0009855054040180.
3. Levis, S.R. & Deasy, P.B. (2002). Characterisation of halloysite for use as a microtubular drug delivery system. Inter. J. Pharm. 1–2(243), 125–134. DOI: 10.1016/S0378-5173(02)00274-0.
4. Imai, T., Naitoh, Y., Yamamoto, T. & Ohyanagi, M. (2006). Translucent Nano Mullite Based Composite Ceramic Fabricated by Spark Plasma Sintering. J. Cer. Soc. JPN 1325(114), 138–140. DOI: 10.2109/jcersj.114.138.
5. Wilson, I.R. (2004). Kaolin and halloysite deposits of China. Clay Miner. 1(39), 1–15. DOI: 10.1180/0009855043910116.
6. Guo, B., Zou, Q., Lei, Y. & Jia, D. (2009). Structure and Performance of Polyamide 6/Halloysite Nanotubes Nanocomposites. Polym. J. 10(41), 835–842.
7. Handge, U.A., Hedicke-Höchstötter, K. & Altstädt, V. (2010). Composites of polyamide 6 and silicate nanotubes of the mineral halloysite: Influence of molecular weight on thermal, mechanical and rheological properties. Polymer 12(51), 2690–2699. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2010.04.041.
9. Oburoğlu, N., Ercan, N., Durmus, A. & Kaşgöz, A. (2011). Effects of Halloysite Nanotube on the Mechanical Properties and Nonisothermal Crystallization Kinetics of Poly(Butylene Terephthalate) (PBT). J. Macromol. Sci., Part B 5(51), 860–879. DOI: 10.1080/00222348.2011.610231.
10. Szczygielska, A. & Kijeński, J. (2011). Studies of properties of polypropylene/halloysite composites. Pol. J. Chem. Technol. 3(13), 61. DOI: 10.2478/v10026-011-0039-0.