The aim of the work presented in the article was to clarify controversial comments about anti-corrosion and mechanical properties of graphene coatings, deposited on copper substrates. It was designed special experimental cycle comprising: preparation of graphene forms and copper, the observation of layers Cu / GO (rGO) after the thermal reduction processes and oxidative test in air at 150°C temperature and 350 h in time. The resulting coatings and graphene layers were subjected to tribological test for hardness. The observed differences in the continuity of the coverage copper surface by graphene forms, allowed to understand the macroscopic effect of increased hardness and wear resistance layers rGO/Cu.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Leenaerts O. Partoens B. & Peeters F.M. (2008). Graphene: a perfect nanoballoon Appl. Phys. Lett. 93 193107. DOI: 10.1063/1.3021413.
2. Tsetseris L. & Pantelides S.T. (2013). Graphene: An impermeable or selectively permeable membrane for atomic species? Carbon Vol. 67 58–63. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbon.2013.09.055.
3. Cuevas J.C. (2010). Introduction to Density Functional Theory https://www.uam.es/personal_pdi/ciencias/jcuevas/Talks/JC-Cuevas-DFT.pdf
4. Bunch J.S. Verbridge S.S. Alden J.S. Arend M. van der Zande Parpia J.M. Craighead H.G. & McEuen P.L. (2008). Impermeable Atomic Membranes from Graphene Sheets NANO LETTERS Vol. 8 No. 8 2458–2462. DOI: 10.1021/nl801457b.
5. Boukhvalov D.W. & Virojanadara C. (2012). Penetration of alkali atoms throughout a graphene membrane: theoretical modeling Nanoscale 4 1749–1753. DOI: 10.1039/C2NR11892K.
6. Nair R.R. Wu H.A. Jayaram P.N. Grigorieva I.V. & Geim A.K. (2012). Unimpeded Permeation of Water Through Helium-Leak–Tight Graphene-Based Membranes Sci. Jan 27 Vol. 335 No. 6067 442–444. DOI: 10.1126/science.1211694.
7. Boukhvalov D.W. & Katsnelson M.I. (2013). Origin of Anomalous Water Permeation through Graphene Oxide Membrane Nano letters July 19 13(8) 3930–3935. DOI: 10.1021/nl4020292.
8. Jianchen Hu Yanfeng Ji Yuanyuan Shi Fei Hui Huiling Duan & Mario Lanza (2014). A Review on the use of Graphene as a Protective Coating against Corrosion Ann. Mater. Science & Engineering Vol. 1 Issue 3.
9. Singh B.P. Nayak S. Nanda K. Bikash K.J. Bhattacharjee S. & Besra L. (2013). The production of a corrosion resistant graphene reinforced composite coating on copper by electrophoretic deposition Carbon Vol. 61 September 2013 Pages 47–56. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbon.2013.04.063.
10. Yao Tong Siva Bohm & Mo Song (2013). Graphene based materials and their composites as coatings Austin J. Nanomed. & Nanotech. Vol. 1 Issue 1.
11. Schriver M. Regan W. Gannett W.J. Zaniewski A. M. Crommie M.F. & Zettl A. (2013). Graphene as a Long-Term Metal Oxidation Barrier: Worse Than Nothing ACS Nano Vol. 7 No. 7 5763–5768. DOI: 10.1021/nn4014356.