An up-flow anaerobic packed bed (UAPB) bioreactor has been designed on a laboratory-scale and used for treatment of domestic milk wastewater (MWW). The UAPB bioreactor was operated under mesophilic temperature (37-45°C) and reactor performance evaluated at various organic loading rates of MWW effluent at hydraulic retention times (HRT) of 1, 2, and 3 d based on the removal of organic matter COD, BOD, SS, pH changes and biogas production. The kinetic parameters were estimated using the experimental data to develop a reactor model. Empirical relations were generated for the characteristics like COD, BOD, and SS using modeling equations. This study proved that the UAPB reactor performance is excellent for treating domestic MWW and easily biodegradable dairy wastewater influent. Hence, this system can operate at low costs, making it suited for use in the developing countries and rural areas.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Al-Saadi A. Raut N. Talebi S. Al-Darmaki A. & Al- -Barwani T. (2012). Wastewater Management for Sustainable Development. In: Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering Vol III WCE 2012 July 4-6 2012 London UK.
2. Deshannavar U.B. Basavaraj R.K. & Naik N.M. (2012). High rate digestion of dairy industry effl uent by upfl ow anaerobic fi xed-bed reactor. J. Chem. Pharma. Res. 4 2895-2899.
3. Tawfi k A. Sobhey M. & Badawy M. (2008). Treatment of a combined dairy and domestic wastewater in an up-fl ow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor followed by activated sludge (AS system). Desalination 227 167-177. DOI:10.1016/j. desal.2007.06.023.
4. Vourch M. Balannec B. Chaufer B. & Dorange G. (2008). Treatment of dairy industry wastewater by reverse osmosis for water reuse. Desalination 219 190-202. DOI:10.1016/j. desal.2007.05.013.
5. Kushwaha J.P. Srivastava V.C. & Mall I.D. (2011). An Overview of Various Technologies for the Treatment of Dairy Wastewaters. Crit. Rev. Food. Sci. Nutr. 51 442-452. DOI: 10.1080/10408391003663879.
6. Sarkar B. Chakrabarti P.P. Vijaykumar A. & Kale V. (2006). Wastewater treatment in dairy industries possibility of reuse. Desalination 195 141-152. DOI:10.1016/j. desal.2005.11.015.
7. Aiyuka S. Amoakoa J. Raskinb L. van Haandelc A. & Verstraete W. (2004). Removal of carbon and nutrients from domestic wastewater using a low investment integrated treatment concept. Water Res. 38 3031-3042.
8. Zurita F. Roy E.D. & White J.R. (2012). Municipal wastewater treatment in Mexico: current status and opportunities for employing ecological treatment systems. Environ Technol. 33 1151-8.
9. Latif M.A. Ghufran R. Wahid Z.A. & Ahmad A. (2011). Integrated application of upfl ow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor for the treatment of wastewaters. Water Res. 45 4683-99. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2011.05.049.
10. Chen H. Yan S.H. Ye Z.L. Meng H.J. & Zhu Y.G. (2012). Utilization of urban sewage sludge: Chinese perspectives. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. Int. 19 1454-63. DOI: 10.1007/ s11356-012-0760-0.
11. Li X. Guo L. Yang Q. Zeng G. & Liao D. (2007) Removal of carbon and nutrients from low strength domestic wastewater by expanded granular sludge bed-zeolite bed fi ltration (EGSB-ZBF) integrated treatment concept. Process Biochem. 42 1173-79. DOI:10.1016/j.procbio.2007.04.001.
12. Leitão R.C. Santaellla S.T. van Haandel A.C. Zeeman G. & Lettinga G. (2011). The effect of operational conditions on the hydrodynamic characteristics of the sludge bed in UASB reactors. Water Sci. Technol. 64 1935-41. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2011.628.
13. Garcia M.L. Lapa K.R. Foresti E. & Zaiat M. (2008). Effects of bed materials on the performance of an anaerobic sequencing batch biofi lm reactor treating domestic sewage. J Environ Manage. 88 1471-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2007.07.015.
14. Ngai T.K. Shrestha R.R. Dangol B. Maharjan M. & Murcott S.E. (2007). Design for sustainable development- -household drinking water fi lter for arsenic and pathogen treatment in Nepal. J. Environ. Sci. Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 42 1879-88.
15. Xu J. Lee J.H. Yin K. Liu H. & Harrison P.J. (2011). Environmental response to sewage treatment strategies: Hong Kong’s experience in long term water quality monitoring. Mar. Pollut Bull. 62 2275-87. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2011.07.020.
16. Haydar S. & Aziz J.A. (2009). Characterization and treatability studies of tannery wastewater using chemically enhanced primary treatment (CEPT) - a case study of Saddiq Leather Works. J. Hazard Mater. 163 1076-83. DOI: 10.1016/j. jhazmat.2008.07.074
17. American Public Health Association (APHA). (1995). Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. American Public Health Association American Water Works Association and Water Pollution Control Federation. 19th edition Washington DC.
18. Husain A. (1998). Mathematical Models of the Kinetics of Anaerobic Digestion - Selected Review. Biomass Bioenerg. 14 561-571.
19. Mohseni-Bandpi A. & Bazari H. (2004). Biological treatment of dairy wastewater by sequencing batch reactor. Iran J. Env. Health. Sci. Eng. l.1 65-69.
20. Najafpour S. Alkarkhi A.F.M. Kadir M.O.A. & Najafpour G.D. (2008). Evaluation of spatial and temporal variation in river water quality. Int. J. Environ. Res. 2 349-358.
21. Mahvi A.H. Mesdaghinia A.R. & Saeedi R. (2007). Upgrading an Existing Wastewater Treatment Plant Based on an Upfl ow Packed Bed Reactor. Iran J. Env. Health. Sci. Engg. 4 229-234.
22. Kheradmand S. Karimi-Jashni A. & Sartaj M. (2010). Treatment of municipal landfi ll leachate using a combined anaerobic digester and activated sludge system. Waste Manag. 30 1025-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2010.01.021.
23. Dirnena I. Dimanta I. Gruduls A. Kleperis J. Elferts D. & Nikolajeva V. (2013). Infl uence of the initial acidifi cation step on biogas production and composition. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 10.1002/bab.1163. DOI: 10.1002/bab.1163.
24. Ezeonu F. & Okaka A. (1996). Process Kinetics and Digestion Effi ciency of Anaerobic Batch Fermentation of Brewer’s Spent Grains. Process Biochem. 31 7-12.
25. Khademi M. Najafpour G.D. Navaei Nia B. et al. (2009). Biological Treatment of antibiotic Plant Effl uent in an UASFF Bioreactor. World App. J. Sci. Env. 5 1-8.
26. Orhon D. Gorgum E. Germirli F. & Artan N. (1993). Biological tretability of dairy wastewaters. Water Res. 27 635-633.