The purpose of the present work was the elaboration of research methodology of the exhaustion degree of performance properties of pipes based on unsaturated polyester and glass fibers, which were manufactured by the cross winding method on a poly(vinyl chloride) core. Within the frame of the work we conducted fatigue-ageing tests being the simulation tool of the degradation process of polyester-glass pipes. Diagnosis of the composite material condition was conducted with the use of nondestructive ultrasonic testing with the application of the echo method, in which the transition time of ultrasonic wave was determined as the identifying parameter. The registered transition time of ultrasonic wave allowed the identification of the material condition during the course of pipes exploitation.
4. Jones R.M. (1998). Mechanics of composite materials (2nd ed.). Philadelphia USA: Taylor & Francis Press.
5. Królikowski W. Kłosowska-Wołkowicz Z. & Penczek P. (1986). Resin and polyester and laminates (2nd ed.). Warsaw Poland: WNT Press. (In Polish).
6. German J. (1996). The basis of mechanics of fi bers composites: a scripts for the students of higher technical schools. Cracow Poland: Cracow University of Technology Publishing. (In Polish).
7. Hull D. Clyne T.W. (1996). An introduction to composite materials. Melbourne Australia: Cambridge University Press.
8. Błażejewski W. (2007). The application of acoustic emission in comparative research of braid carriers of composite bottles. In Wróbel G. Polymers and composites construction. Cieszyn Poland: Logos Press Publishing (In Polish).
9. Czulak A. (2010). Shaping of the structure and properties of the fi ber glass-woven composite pipe element Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Technishe University of Dresden Germany.
10. Błażejewski W. (2009). Methodology of selection of the structure of composite braid carriers with reference to containers made by the winding method. Tech. Transactions - Mechanics z. 1-M 9-14. (In Polish).
11. Cohen D. (1997 July). Infl uence of fi lament winding parameters on composite vessel quality and strength Comp.: Part A 28A 1035-1047. DOI: 10.1016/S1359-835X(97)00073-0.
12. Deputat J. (1997). Non-destructive methods of research on materials properties. Warsaw Poland: Biuro Gamma Press (In Polish).
13. Śliwiński A. (2001). Physics for industry. Ultrasounds and their applications (2nd ed). Warsaw Poland: WNT Press (In Polish).
14. Kozień M.S. (2005). Hybrid Method of Evaluation of Sounds Radiated by Vibrating Surface Elements J. Theor. Appl. Mech. 431 119-133 (In Polish).
15. Lewińska-Romicka A. (2001). Non-destructive research. The basis of defectoscopy. Warsaw Poland: WNT Press (In Polish).
16. Ostachowicz W. Wandowski T. Malinowski P. (2008). Elastic Wave Phased Array for Damage Localisation J. Theor. Appl. Mech. 46 917-931. (In Polish).
17. Wróbel G. (2008). Non-destructive methods of engineer research on polymer materials. Gliwice Poland: Silesian University of Technology Publishing (In Polish).
18. Rojek M. Szymiczek M. Wróbel G. (2011). Non-destructive methods of research on polymer materials Plast. Proces. 6(144) 507-510 (In Polish).
19. Rojek M. (2011): Methodology of diagnostics research of layered composite materials with polymer warp. Gliwice Poland: International OCSCO World Press (In Polish).
20. Martin R. (2008). Ageing of composites Cambridge England: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
21. Bogdan-Włodek A. Kozioł M. & Myalski J. (April 2012). Influence of surface treatment on the wetting process of jute fi bres with thermosetting polyester resin. Pol. J. Chem. Tech. 141 21-27. DOI: 10.2478/v10026-012-0054-9.
22. Landowski M. Budzik M. & Imielińska K. (March 2011). On degradation of glass/polyester laminate immersed in water. Advan. Mater. Sci. 11 1 35-39. DOI: 10.2478/v10077-011-004-x.
23. Harris B. (2003). Fatigue in composites Cambridge England: Woodhead Publishing Limited.
24. Szymiczek M. Rojek M. & Wróbel G. (2011).Test of composite pipe in the aspect of diagnostic of aging - fatigue changes. Proceedings of International Seminar on Science and Education 16-23 April 2011(pp. 61-63). Rome Italy.
25. Stabik J. Szymiczek M. Wróbel G. & Rojek M. (2012). New stand for composite pipes testing. Proceedings of X International Conference of the Quality Reliability and Long Usage of Technical Systems and Technological Processes 20-27 November 2012 (pp. 63-66) Eilat Israel.
26. Szymiczek M. Wróbel G. M. Rojek M. & Czapla T. (2013). Simulation diagnostics of the polyester-glass pipes degradation process; experimental basis J. Achievements Mater. Manufact. Engineer. 59/1 37-47.
27. Standards Association of Poland (2002). Poland standard: Plastics piping - Glass-reinforced thermosetting plastics (GRP) pipes - Determination of the apparent initial circumferential tensile strength. PN-EN 1394-2002.
28. Standards Association of Poland (1993). Poland standard: Plastics - Determination of fl exural properties. PN-EN ISO 178-1993.