Flame retardant and antimicrobial functionalities were imparted in jute textile using sodium metasilicate nonahydrate (SMSN), commonly known as “water glass”. Sodium metasilicate nonahydrate (SMSN) was applied in jute fabric in different concentration by padding method followed by drying. Flame retardancy of the fabric was evaluated by Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI) and burning behaviour under vertical flammability tester including the char length. Burning rate was found to decrease by almost 10 times after an application of 2% SMSN compared to the control sample. Thermogravimetry (TG) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) analysis of both the control and treated jute fabrics were utilized to understand the mechanism of developed flame retardance in jute fabric. It was observed that the SMSN treated samples showed excellent antimicrobial property against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Antimicrobial properties of both the control and treated jute fabrics were also measured quantitatively.
1. Dutt, R. (2008, April). Ecofriendly biodegradable handicrafted jute products for the leisure & hospitality sector. Retrieved May 30, 2009, from http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/eco-friendly
2. Chattopadhyay, S.N., Pan, N.C., Day, A. & Roy A.K. (2011, December). Coloration of jute fabric by single bath bleaching-dyeing process. Fibre 2 fashion. Retrieved December 16, 2012, from http://www.fibre2fashion.com
3. Charuchinda, S., Srikulkit, K. & Mowattana, T. (2005). Co-application of sodium polyphosphateand chitosan to improve flame retardancy of cotton fabric. J. Sci. Res.Chula.Univ., 30 (1), 97–110. DOI: 10.1177/0734904112443658.
4. Kandola, B.K., Horrocks, A.R., Price, D. & Coleman G.V. (2006). Flame retardant treatments of cellulose and their infiuence on the mechanism of cellulose pyrolysis. J. Macromol.Sci., 36(4), 721–794. DOI: 10.1080/15321799608014859.
5. Sharma, U. (1986). Fire retardancy of jute fabrics with PST (Rochelle salt). Colourage, 32(26), 19–20. ISSN: 0010-1826.
6. Schindler, D.W. & Hauser P.J. (2004). Chemical finishing of textiles, USA: Woodhead publishers.
7. Rowell, R.M. & Dietenberger, M.A. (2013). Handbook of Wood Chem. and Wood Composites. In R.M. Rowell (Eds.), Thermal properties, combustion and fire retardancy of wood (pp. 127–149). Taylor & Francis Group: London Newwork CRC press.
8. Helmstetter, J.G. (1995). U.S. Patent No.5453119A. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
9. Slimak, K.M., & Slimak, R.A. (2001). U.S. Patent No. US6303234B1. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
10. Huang, H., Williams, S.K., Sims, C.A. & Simmone A. (2011). Sodium metasilicate affects antimicrobial, sensory, physical, and chemical characteristics of fresh commercial chicken breast meat stored at 4oC for 9 days. Poul. Sci., 90 (5), 1124–1133. Doi: 10.3382/ps.2010-01227.
11. Vatten, D.A., Maitin, V. & Richardsons, C.R. (2012). Evaluation of antibacterial and toxicological effects of a novel sodium silicate complex. Res. J. Microbiol., 7 (3), 191–198. DOI: 10.3923/jm.2012.191.198.
12. Sheng, H.U., Congqin, N., Yue, Z., Chen, L., Kaili, L. & Jiang, C. (2011). Antibacterial activity of silicate bioceramics. J. Wuhan Univ. Technol., 26 (2), 226–230. DOI: 10.1007/ S11595-011-0202-8.
13. Karastergiou, P.S. & Philippou, J.L. (2000). Wood and Fire Safety. In J.L.Philippou (Eds.), Thermogravimetric analysis of fire retardant treated particle boards (pp. 385–394). Thessaloniki: Greece
14. Kyeong, W.P. (2012). Ion Exchange Technologies. In A. Kilislioglu (Eds.), Ion exchange and application of layered silicate (pp. 241–259). Intech Publishers. DOI: 10.57772/ 51564.
19. Jain, R.K., Lal, K. & Bhatnagar, H.L. (1985). Thermal degradation of cellulose and its phosphorylated products in air and nitrogen. J. Appl. Poly. Sci., 30 (3), 897–914. DOI: 10.1002/ app.1985.070300302.
20. Music, S., Vincekovic, F.N. & Sekovanic L. (2011). Precipitation of amorphous SiO2 particles and their properties. Brazilian J. of Chem. Engine., 28(1), 89–94. DOI: 10.1590/ S0104-66322011000100011.
21. De-guang, C.A.O. & Da-gen, S.U. (2005). Structure characterization of geopolymer of sodium silicate and metakaolin. Mat. Sci. Appl. Chem., 4 (2), 70–73. DOI: 1671-8224(2005)02-0070-04.
22. Sinha, E. & Rout, S.K. (2009). Influence of fibre surface treatment on structural, thermal and mechanical properties of jute fibre and composites. Bull. Mat. Sci., 32 (1), 65–76. DOI: 10.1007/s12034-008-0143-9.
23. Kashiwagi, T., Gilman, J.W., Butler, K.M., Harris, R.H., Shields, J.R. & Asano, A. (2000). Flame retardant mechanism of silica gel/ silica. Fire Mat., 24 (6) 277–289. DOI: 10.1002/1099-1018(200011/12)24:6<277::AID-FAM746>3.0.CO;2-A.