Introduction. Interdisciplinarity and interprofessional networking are important basis for a successful, recognizable and innovative research. Nursing research is at the intersection of health, biomedical and social sciences. Demographic trends in developed countries require integration of health and social services.
Aim. To examine the trend of interdisciplinary approach in terms of addressing social care in connection with nursing care and especially in the field of nursing care of the elderly, we analyzed scientific publications in this field over the period 1998-2018 in the PubMed database.
Discussion. The analysis showed that the number of scientific publications considering social care aspect is growing relatively faster in comparison to those addressing nursing care, especially when addressing elderly population. Development of study programmes should follow the needs of the society so that universities will educate professionals that will be able to tackle emerging problems and issues. Involvement of students in the research projects, dealing with relevant health and social care issues can significantly contribute to gaining required competences.
Conclusions. The obtained publication data are reflecting the current trends of integration of health and social care services in practice and research. Interdisciplinary study programmes as well as engagement of students into relevant research projects are important for the efficient and quality development of care services.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Nursing Definition.International Council of Nurses (ICN). 2019 Obtained 27.7.2019 from https://www.icn.ch/nursing-policy/nursing-definitions.
2. WHO Constitution. World Health Organisation. 2019.Obtained 27.7.2019 from https://www.who.int/about/who-we-are/constitution.
3. Vos et al. Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012: 380(9859):2163-96. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61729-2.
4. Nightingale F. 1859. Notes on Nursing. https://ia800905.us.archive.org/9/items/notesonnursingnigh00nigh/notesonnursingnigh00nigh.pdf
5. Carnevale FA. Interdisciplinarity and nursing research: opportunities and challenges. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem. 2014; 67(6):881-885. https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167.2014670603
6. Rafols I Porter AL Leydesdoff L. Science Overlay Maps: A New Tool for Research Policy and Library Management. Journal of the American society for information science and technology. 2010: 61( 9):1871 - 1887.
7. Choi BC Pak AW. Multidisciplinarity interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity in health research services education and policy: 1. Definitions objectives and evidence of effectiveness. Clin Invest Med.2006;29(6):351-364.
8. Oliveira MA de Campos. Interdisciplinarity in Nursing education and research. Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP. 2012;46(2):01-02. https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342012000200001
9. Kovačev AN Zaletel M. Identiteta starostnikov in njene značilnosti. Posvetovanje Celostna obravnava starostnikov. Ljubljana 24. november 2006 Rugelj D. Ljubljana: Visoka šola za zdravstvo.
10. Tolson D Rolland Y Andrieu S International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics: a global agenda for clinical research and quality care in nursing homes. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2011;12( 3): 184 - 189.
11. Daviglus ML Bell CC Berrettini W. NIH state-of-the-science conference statement: Preventing Alzheimer’s disease and cognitive decline. NIH consensus and state-of-the-science statements. 2010: 27( 4): 1 - 30.
12. Topinkova E Sqadari A Haas T. Urinary incontinence in patients in long-term institutional care. Results of an international study in 8 countries. Casopis lekaru českych 1997; 136(18): 555 - 558.
13. Tolson D Morley JE Rolland Y Vellas B. Advancing nursing home practice: the International Association of Geriatrics and Gerontology Recommendations. Geriatrics nursing. 2011; 32(3): 195 - 197.
14. Tolson D Morley JE Rolland Y Vellas B. Improving nursing home practice: an international concern. Nursing older people. 2011; 23(9): 20 - 21.
15. Keighley T. Globalization decision making and taboo in nursing. International Nursing Review. 2012; 59(2): 181 - 186.
16. Groeneweg R Haanstra T Bolman CAW et al. Treatment success in neck pain: The added predictive value of psychosocial variables in addition to clinical variables. Scand J Pain. 2017; 14:44-52. doi: 10.1016/j.sjpain.2016.10.003
17. Gochnauer H Valdes-Rodriguez R Cardwell L Anolik RB. The Psychosocial Impact of Atopic Dermatitis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;1027:57-69. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-64804-0_6.
18. Schreiner P Yilmaz B Rossel JB et al. Swiss IBD Cohort Study Group.(2019). Vegetarian or gluten-free diets in patients with inflammatory bowel disease are associated with lower psychological well-being and a different gut microbiota but no beneficial effects on the course of the disease. United European Gastroenterol J. 2019; 7(6):767-781. doi: 10.1177/2050640619841249.
19. Husni ME Merola JF Davin S. The psychosocial burden of psoriatic arthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2017;47(3):351-360. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2017.05.010.
20. Morley JE Caplan G Cesari M et al. International survey of nursing home research priorities. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014: 15(5):309-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2014.03.003. Epub 2014 Apr 3.
21. Fagerberg I Gilje F. A comparison of curricular approaches of care of the aged Swedish and US nursing programs. Nurse education in practice. 2007: 7( 6): 358-364.
22. Reed J Richardson E Marais S Moyle W. Older people maintaining well-being: an International Appreciative Inquiry study. Internationl journal of older people nursing. 2008;3(1): 68 - 75.
23. WHO. Integrated health services - what and why. 2008. Obtained 27.7.2019 from https://www.who.int/healthsystems/technical_brief_final.pdf
24. Contandriopoulos D Duhoux A Roy B et al. Integrated Primary Care Teams (IPCT) pilot project in Quebec: a protocol paper. BMJ open. 2015;5(12): e010559. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010559
25. Dixon J Knapp M. Whose job? The staffing of advance care planning support in twelve international healthcare organizations: a qualitative interview study. BMC palliative care. 2018;17(1):78. doi:10.1186/s12904-018-0333-1
26. Integrirana oskrba v občini Krško „MOST“. (b.d.) CSD Posavje. Obtained 29.7.2019 from http://www.ds-rs.si/sites/default/files/dokumenti/ds_etc_izzivi_na_podrocju_dolgotrajne_oskrbe_2019_02.pdf.