Allergic rhinitis occurs in various regions of the world and affects from 10 to 40% of the population. The skin prick test is the “gold standard” for the detection of type I allergic diseases according to the Gella and Coombs classification, which is mediated by IgE. For our experiment, skin prick tests were performed on 60 divers aged between 30 and 40 years of age. The following tests for airborne allergens were used: tests for pollen from trees, grasses, cereals, weeds, proteins from house dust mites, animal hair and epidermis, and moulds. On the basis of an interview and a positive skin prick test allergic rhinitis was diagnosed in 17 divers.
Allergic rhinitis can cause health problems in divers and be the cause of diving accidents.
The application of the skin prick test during the health qualification in the Military Maritime Health Commission, would allow the exclusion of diver candidates suffering from allergies.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Gadomski K Siermontowski P) Dąbrowiecki Z Olszański R. The risk of developing a contact allergy to materials present in diving suits and diving equipment Polish Hyperbaric Research 2(59) 57-61 2017
2. Silny W Czarnecka-Operacz M Jenerowucz D Olek-Hrab K Żmudzińska M Teresiak-Matusiak E. Lexicon of allergic skin diseases and drug-related reactions 2009 pp.;
3. Saleem N Waqar S Shafi A. Skin Prick Test Reactivity to Common Aeroallergens among Allergic Rhinitis Patients. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan. 28 (10): 766-771 2018;
4. Christopher DJ BSc Ashok N Ravivarma A Shankar D Peterson E Dinh PT Vedanthan PK. Low Potency of Indian Dust Mite Allergen Skin Prick Test Extracts Compared to FDA-Approved Extracts: A Double-Blinded Randomized Control Trial. Allergy & Rhinology 9: 1–6 2018;
5. Kruszewski J Silny W Mazurek H Czarnecka-Operacz M. The standards in allergology. Part 1. Skin tests. Przegląd alergologiczny 51-59 2003;
6. Samoliński B Raciborski F Lipiec A Tomaszewska A Krzych-Fałta E Samel-Kowalik P Walkiewicz A Lusawa A Borowicz J Komorowski J Samolińska-Zawisza U Sybilski AJ Barbara Piekarska B Nowicka A. Epidemiology of Allergic Diseases in Poland. Alergologia Polska 1 10 – 18 2014;
7. Chu HT Godin I Phuong NT Nguyen LH Hiep TTM Xuan NM Corazza F Michel O. Evaluation of skin prick test to screen dust mite sensitization in chronic respiratory diseases in Southern Vietnam Asia Pac Allergy. 8(4):e39 2018;
8. Hegde VL Mahesh PA Venkatesh YP. Skin prick test analysis reveals cross-sensitization to tomato profilin and grass pollen in nasobronchialallergic patients with history of tomato food allergy. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 50 N 1 10-18 2018.