During the last decades, there has been a rapid development in the research and use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO), and modern medicine is increasingly taking advantage of its beneficial effects. The aim of the study was to check the level of knowledge of future doctors (medical students) on hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
The survey was conducted among 240 students of the medical faculty (3rd and 5th year of study) of the Military and Medical Faculty of the Medical University of Lodz. The author’s questionnaire with forced-choice questions was used as research tool.
The students’ knowledge of hyperbaric oxygen therapy was varied and in some cases was not dependent on the year of study. It was observed that students’ knowledge of the subject matter depends on the number of teaching hours allocated to it.
2. Mathieu D: Handbook on hyperbaric medicine. Springer Dordecht 2006;
3. Sieroń A. Cieślar G. Kawecki M. (ed.) An outline of hyperbaric medicine. Publ. α-medica press Bielsko-Biała 2007;
4. Boerema I Meyne N Brummelkamp W et al.: Life without blood: a study of the influence of high atmospheric pressure and hypothermia on dilution of the blood. J Cardiovasc Surg 1960; 1: 133-146;
5. Mathieu D Marroni A Kot J Tenth European Consensus Conference on Hyperbaric Medicine: recommendations for accepted and nonaccepted clinical indications and practice of hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Diving Hyperb Med 2017 47(1): 24-32. PMID: 28357821;
6. Ordinance of the President of the National Health Fund No. 88/2013/DSOZ of 18 December 2013 on defining the terms and conditions for concluding and implementing contracts such as: health services contracted separately;
7. Narożny W Siebert J: The possibilities and limitations of the use of hyperbaric oxygen in medicine. Forum Med Rodz 2007; 1(4): 368-375;
8. Abramovich A Shupak A Ramon Y et al.: Hyperbaric.