Therapy with hyperbaric oxygen (HBOT) was first used in pediatrics in Russia in the 1920s (1927). At present, HBOT is used in children in similar indications as in adults, as well as in perinatal, neurologic and neuro-developmental conditions, even though there is only limited evidence of it offering any benefit for such conditions. The aim of this publication is to present current indications and risks of the use of HBOT in children.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ahmad Ghanizadeh Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for treatment of children with autism: a systematic review of randomized trials Med Gas Res. 2012; 2: 13. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3369206/; DOI: 10.1186/2045-9912-2-13
2. Daniel A Rossignol James J Bradstreet Kyle Van Dyke et al.;
3. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment in autism spectrum disorders Med Gas Res. 2012; 2: 16. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3472266/;
4. G. Nuthall M. Seear M. Lepawsky et al. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Cerebral Palsy: Two Complications of Treatment Pediatrics 2000 106(6);
6. Virginia Neubauer Richard Neubauer and Paul Harch HBOT in the Management of Cerebral Palsy. http://www.hbot.com/blog/infinitee/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-management-cerebral-palsy;
7. McMaster University CanChild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) as a ‘treatment’ for Cerebral Palsy https://www.canchild.ca/en/resources/212-hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-hbot-as-a-treatment-for-cerebral-palsy;
8. Marek Kawecki Grzegorz Knefel Bożena Szymański Mariusz Nowak Aleksander Sieroń: Current indications and possible applications of hyperbaric oxygen therapy;
9. Perrins ER Bissonnette R. Frostbite a new adjunct in treatment. JAMA 1965;194:211.7. Ward MP Garnham JR. Frostbite: general observations and report of cases treated by hyperbaric oxygen. Proc Roy Soc Med;
10. Gage AA Ishikawa H. Experimental frostbite. The effect of hyperbaric oxygenation on tissue survival. Cryobiology 1970;7(1):1-8.;
11. Cooke JN. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment in the Royal Air Force. Proc Roy Soc Med 1971;64(9):881-2. 5 Hardenbergh E.;
12. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of experimental frostbite in the mouse. J Surg Res 1972;12(1):34-40;
13. Thom SR. Hyperbaric oxygen: its mechanisms and efficacy. Plast Reconstr Surg 2011;127(suppl 1):13 1S–14 1S E DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181fbe2bf
14. Rihova J. Omrzliny – nikdy se nevzdavat. Med Sport Boh Slov 2005;14(1):21-25;