Cutaneous leishmaniasis in Poland is an imported disease mainly occurring in tourists who travelled to tropical countries. Cutaneous symptoms occur as late as between ten and twenty days following the return from the tropics. Lesions connected with cutaneous leishmaniasis were most commonly diagnosed by Polish doctors as furuncle, ecthyma or ulceration and ineffectively treated for several weeks with antibiotics.
The paper presents the case of leishmaniasis in a 30-year-old male with an ulceration of the left shank, ineffectively treated with antibiotics over a period of four months. The ulceration was healed completely only after leishmaniasis was diagnosed and following the application of a treatment based on antimony derivatives, followed by hyperbaric oxygenation performed in a hyperbaric chamber.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Vasievich MP Villarreal JD Tomecki KJ.Got the Travel Bug? A Review of Common Infections Infestations Bites and Stings Among Returning Travelers. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2016 Oct;17(5):451-462;
2. Ergen EN King AH Tuli M.Cutaneous leishmaniasis: an emerging infectious disease in travelers. Cutis. 2015 Oct;96(4):E22-6;
3. Olszański R. Health problems in the tropics WIM Warsaw 2014;
4. Saab J Fedda F Khattab R Yahya L Loya A Satti M Kibbi AG Houreih MA Raslan W El-Sabban M Khalifeh I. Cutaneous leishmaniasis mimicking inflammatory and neoplastic processes: a clinical histopathological and molecular study of 57 cases. J Cutan Pathol. 2012;39(2):251-62;
5. Mohammadzadeh M Behnaz F Golshan Z. Efficacy of glucantime for treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Central Iran. J.Infect Public Health. 2013; 6(2):120-4;
6. Negera E Gadisa E Hussein J Engers H Kuru T Gedamu L Aseffa A. Treatment response of cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania aethiopica to cryotherapy and generic sodium stibogluconate from patients in Silti Ethiopia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2012;106(8):496-503;
7. Bart A van Thiel P de Vries H Hodiamont C Van Gool T. Imported leishmaniasis in the Netherlands from 2005 to 2012: epidemiology diagnostic techniques and sequence-based species typing from 195 patients. Euro Surveill. 2013 Jul 25;18(30):1-8;
8. Stebut E Schleicher U Bogdan C. Cutaneous leishmaniasis as travelers' disease. Clinical presentation diagnostics and therapy]. Hautarzt. 2012; 63(3):233-46;
9. Poeppl W Oeser C Grabmeier-Pfistershammer K Walochnik J Burgmann H.Clinical findings and management of imported cutaneous leishmaniasis: report of 14 cases from Austria. Travel Med Infect Dis.2013; 11 90-94;
10. Kelly P Baudry T Peyron F. Imported cutaneous leishmaniasis in a short-term traveler returning from Central Mali - The role of PCR. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2012;10(2):97-100;
11. Zhang M Liu F Liu H Hu W Sang H. Imported cutaneous leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania major in a Chinese laborer who worked in Saudi Arabia. An Bras Dermatol. 2016 ;91(3):365-7;
12. Kattipathanapong P Akaraphanth R Krudsood S Riganti M Viriyavejakul P. The first reported case of autochthonous cutaneous leishmaniasis in Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2012;43(1):17-20;
13. Okwor I Mou Z Liu D Uzonna J.Protective immunity and vaccination against cutaneous leishmaniasis. Front Immunol. 2012;3:128;
14. Cembrero-Saralegui H Martínez Pérez M Imbernón-Moya A. [Dermoscopy of acute cutaneous leishmaniasis]. Med Clin (Barc). 2016 Sep 19. pii: S0025-7753(16)30363-3.