1 Department of Human Epidemiology and Ecology of the Institute of Clinical Medicine, Medical Academy of Cracow in Rzeszów, Maritime and Tropical Medicine Institute of Gdynia, Maritime Medicine Institute of the Warsaw Medical Academy in Gdynia, Poland
The authors conducted the preliminary clinical investigation on 16 multiple sclerosis (Sclerosis multiplex) patients of median disease duration 9.33 years and symptoms evaluated on Kurtzke’s scale. The patients underwent between 25 and 30 hyperbaric oxygen exposures at a pressure of 2 ata in intervals spread over a few days. The patients were qualified and classified to the treatment symptomatologically according to Fisher but the obtained results were evaluated according to the standardised Disability Status Scale by Kurtzke. During the investigations the authors carried out additional quantitative immunoglobulin and complement activity determination, lymphocyte T and B determinations as well as the usually applied clinical and laboratory investigations. Evident clinical improvement was observed in 14 patients, but in the case of one patient a deterioration was observed after 15 hyperbaric expositions (resulting in the hyperbaric oxygen treatment being stopped), whilst in another case no curative effect could be observed. By utilising the 50% haemolysis method, within the examined immunological parameters the authors observed an increase of complement fractions and its activity, white lymphocytes T and B examined qualitatively did not maintain the characteristic shift. The authors are still discussing the obtained results.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Barnes M. Bates D. Cartlidge N. Frenoh J. Shaw D. - Hyperbaries oxygen and multiple sclerosis: Short-term results of a placebo-controlled double blind trial. Lancet. 1985. Saturday 9 February 297-300.
2. Bauer H. - Problems of symptomatic therapy in Multiple Sclerosis. Neurol. 1978.28-2:8-20.
3. Bauer H. - Umstrittene MS-Therapie. Rühm Pharma. A 19.1983:400-405.
4. Borstein M. Miller A. - A Pilot Trial of Cop I in: Exacerbating-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis. New.Engl.J.Med.1987.317.7:408-4414.
5. Brown J. - Problems in evaluating new treatment for Multiple Sclerosis. Neurol. 1980.30-2:8-11.
6. Caplan L. Nadelson T. - Multiple Sclerosis and Hysteria.AMA.1980.243:2418-2421.
7. Davis J. - Hyperbaric-Oxygen for patients with Multiple Sclerosis. New.Engl.J.Med.1984.1831:288-8. Fisher B. Marks M. Reich T. - Hyperbaric-Oxygen treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. A randomized placebo-controlled doubleblind study.
9. Fronai C. Sereni G. Zannini D. - L’ossigenoterapia iperbarica nel trattemente della solerisi multipla. IV.Congr.Naz.SIMSI.Napoli 1980.
11. Gozzano M. - Sclerosi e placche. Trattato delie malattie nervosa. IV.Ed. Valdi. 1970. pp.642-659.
12. James P. - Evidence for subacute fat emnolism as the cause of Multiple Sclerosis. Lancet. 1982.6:380-386.
13. James P. - Oxygen for Multiple Sclerosis. Lanct. 1983.13:396-397.
14. Editorial Committee - Therapeutic claims in multiple sclerosis. Warsaw 1987. - trans. from the 2nd ed. of Therapeutic Claims in Multiple Scloerosis 1983.
15. Kurtzke J. - Further notes on disability evaluation in Multiple Sclerosis with scale modification. Neurol. 1965.15:654-661.
16. Kurtzke J. - A proposal for a uniform minimal disability in Multiple Sclerosis. Symp. On Multiple SclerosisService Functional Disability Ratings: Medical Social and Economic Implications. Stockholm 1980.
17. Mertin J. McDonald W. - Hyperbaric-Oxygen for patients with Multiple Sclerosis with scale modification. Neurol 1965.15:654-661.
18. Neubauer R. - Hyperbaric oxygen for multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 1985. April 6.: 810-
19. Neubauer R. - Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis with monoplace hyperbaric oxygenation. J.Fla.Med.Ass.1978.65:101-
20. Pawelski S. - Laboratory diagnostics in haematology. PZWL. Warsaw. 1983. II. Ed. pp. 354-357 - Barbara Żupańska "Methods for lymphocyte determination in peripheral blood".
21. Perrins D. - Hyperbaric Oxygen for patients with Multiple Sclerosis. Brit. Med. J. 1984.288:1229-1230.
22. Pugliese A. Missio C. - Ipotesi sull’eziologia della sclerosis multipla. Giorn. Batt. Virol. Immun. LXX. Luglio-Dicembre 1987:249-255.
23. Rose A. Kuzma J. Kurtzke J. et al. - Cooperative study in evaluation of therapy in Multiple Sclerosis.: ACTH with Placebo in acute exacerbations. Preliminary report. Neurol. 1968. 18/ suppl./ :1-10.
24. Wiles C. Clarke C. Irvin H. Edgar E. Swan A. - Hyperbaric oxygen in multiple sclerosis: A double blind trial. Brit. Med. J. 1986. 292. 8 Febr.:367 - 371.
25. Zannini D. Formai C. Bogetti B. Sereni G. - Osservazioni su 40 casi di sclerosi multipla trattati con ossigenoterapia iperbarica. Med. Subq. Ed Iperb. 1982.2.1:1-7.
26. Zannini D. Ulewicz K. - Ossigenoterapia iperbarica ed immunopatologia. VII. Congr. Di Med. Subaq. Ed Iperb. Palermo 7-9 nov. 1986.