The rare anomalies diagnosed in prenatal ultrasonographic examination include Pierre-Robin sequence. The aim of the report was to demonstrate a well-documented case of Pierre-Robin sequence detected by ultrasonography at the 24th week of gestation, present the differentiation of Pierre-Robin sequence in the prenatal ultrasonography and to emphasize the importance of early sonographic diagnosis of the anomaly.
The prenatal diagnosis of Pierre-Robin sequence in prenatal ultrasonographic assessment is of great importance as it permits planning further course of pregnancy as well as EXIT procedure and postnatal treatment.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Zielinski R Respondek-Liberska M.: Craniofacial malformations in prenatal ultrasound evaluation. Literature review. Ginekol Pol 2013 9: 801-806
2. Shprintzen RJ.: The implications of the diagnosis of Robin sequence. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1992 3: 205-209
3. Zielinski R Respondek-Liberska M.: Retrospective chart review of 44 fetuses with cervicofacial tumors in the sonographic assessment. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2015 3:363-368
4. Chiriac A Dawson A Krapp M Axt-Fliedner R.: Pierre- Robin syndrome: a case report. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2008 1: 95-98
5. Paladini D Volpe P.: Micrognatia. Ultrasound of Congenital Fetal Anomalies. London 2007 Informa UK Ltd: 93-95
6. Kosmaidou-Aravidou Z Siabalioti G Karpathios S Grigori P Panani A.: Prenatal diagnosis of a cervical teratoma with a cytogenetic study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2006 6: 377-379
7. Dighe MK Peterson SE Dubinsky TJ Perkins J Cheng E.: EXIT procedure: technique and indications with prenatal imaging parameters for assessment of airway patency. Radiographics 2011 2: 511-526
8. Laje P Johnson MP Howell LJ Bebbington MW Hedrick HL Flake AW et al.: Ex utero intrapartum treatment in the management of giant cervical teratomas. J Pediatr Surg 2012 6: 1208-1216
9. Costello BJ Hueser T Mandell D Hackam D Prosen TL.: Syndromic micrognathia and peri-natal management with the ex-utero intra-partum treatment (EXIT) procedure. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010 7: 725-728
10. Caouette-Laberge L Borsuk DE Bortoluzzi PA.: Subperiosteal release of the floor of the mouth to correct airway obstruction in Pierre-Robin sequence: review of 31 cases. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2012 1: 14-20
11. Benacerraf BR.: Micrognathia. Ultrasound of Fetal Syndromes. 2nd ed. Philadelphia 2008 Churchill Livingstone Elseviere; 2008. p. 8-10.