The rare anomalies diagnosed in prenatal ultrasonographic examination include Pierre-Robin sequence. The aim of the report was to demonstrate a well-documented case of Pierre-Robin sequence detected by ultrasonography at the 24th week of gestation, present the differentiation of Pierre-Robin sequence in the prenatal ultrasonography and to emphasize the importance of early sonographic diagnosis of the anomaly.
The prenatal diagnosis of Pierre-Robin sequence in prenatal ultrasonographic assessment is of great importance as it permits planning further course of pregnancy as well as EXIT procedure and postnatal treatment.
1. Zielinski R, Respondek-Liberska M.: Craniofacial malformations in prenatal ultrasound evaluation. Literature review. Ginekol Pol 2013, 9: 801-806
2. Shprintzen RJ.: The implications of the diagnosis of Robin sequence. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1992, 3: 205-209
3. Zielinski R, Respondek-Liberska M.: Retrospective chart review of 44 fetuses with cervicofacial tumors in the sonographic assessment. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2015, 3:363-368
4. Chiriac A, Dawson A, Krapp M, Axt-Fliedner R.: Pierre- Robin syndrome: a case report. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2008, 1: 95-98
5. Paladini D, Volpe P.: Micrognatia. Ultrasound of Congenital Fetal Anomalies. London 2007, Informa UK Ltd: 93-95
6. Kosmaidou-Aravidou Z, Siabalioti G, Karpathios S, Grigori P, Panani A.: Prenatal diagnosis of a cervical teratoma with a cytogenetic study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2006, 6: 377-379
7. Dighe MK, Peterson SE, Dubinsky TJ, Perkins J, Cheng E.: EXIT procedure: technique and indications with prenatal imaging parameters for assessment of airway patency. Radiographics 2011, 2: 511-526
8. Laje P, Johnson MP, Howell LJ, Bebbington MW, Hedrick HL, Flake AW, et al.: Ex utero intrapartum treatment in the management of giant cervical teratomas. J Pediatr Surg 2012, 6: 1208-1216
9. Costello BJ, Hueser T, Mandell D, Hackam D, Prosen TL.: Syndromic micrognathia and peri-natal management with the ex-utero intra-partum treatment (EXIT) procedure. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010, 7: 725-728
10. Caouette-Laberge L, Borsuk DE, Bortoluzzi PA.: Subperiosteal release of the floor of the mouth to correct airway obstruction in Pierre-Robin sequence: review of 31 cases. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2012, 1: 14-20
11. Benacerraf BR.: Micrognathia. Ultrasound of Fetal Syndromes. 2nd ed. Philadelphia 2008, Churchill Livingstone Elseviere; 2008. p. 8-10.