Basic fetal echocardiography as part of the routine anatomy scan is very useful in showing both normal fetal hearts and abnormal cardiovascular physiology and anatomy. In maternal fetal and pediatric cardiology centers where fetal echo is routinely performed, over 97 % of significant anatomic and physiologic anomalies and arrhythmias can be identified. However, most fetuses with these issues are missed at the routine fetal anatomy scan for a variety of reasons. It is therefore incumbent upon those who are facile with the techniques of fetal echo to teach and promote the use of simple training methods by examples. We highly recommend the use of video clips of the fetal heart to show the anatomic and functional relationships of the veins, atria, ventricles and great arteries.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Perinatal Echocardiography: Protocols for the fetal and neonatal heart World Association of Perinatal Medicine Ultrasonography Working Group Wood DC Respondek-Liberska M Peurto B Weiner S Journal of Perinatal Medicine. 2009;37(1):5-11.
2. International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Cardiac screening examination of the fetus: guidelines for performing the ‘basic’ and ‘extended basic’ cardiac scan. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006;27:107-13
3. ISUOG Fetal Echocardiography Task Force. ISUOG consensus statement: what constitutes a fetal echocardiogram?Lee W Allan L Carvalho JS Chaoui R Copel J Devore G Hecher K Munoz H Nelson T Paladini D Yagel S; Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Aug;32(2):239-42
4. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of fetal echocardiography. J Ultrasound Med. 2011 Jan;30(1):127-36. Fetal Echocardiography Task Force; American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Clinical Standards Committee; American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
5. Acherman RJ; Evans WN; Luna CF; Rollins R; Kip KT; Collazos JC; Restrepo H; Adasheck J et al. (2007). “Prenatal detection of congenital heart disease in southern Nevada: the need for universal fetal cardiac evaluation”. Journal of ultrasound in medicine 26 (12): 1715-9
6. Bahtiyar MO; Copel JA (2007). “Improving detection of fetal cardiac anomalies: a fetal echocardiogram for every fetus?”. Journal of ultrasound in medicine 26 (12): 1639-41.
7. Early prenatal diagnosis of major congenital heart defects. Carvalho JS. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Apr;13(2):155-9.
8. Indications for fetal echocardiography high referral low yield? Davey BT Seubert DE Phoon CK. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2009 Jun;64(6):405-15
9. Comstock CH. Cardiac axis and position. Obstet Gynecol 1987;70:255-9
10. Hoffman JIE Kaplan S. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;39:1890-1900
11. Bonnet D Coltri A Butera G Fermont L Le Bidois J Kachaner J Sidi D. Detection of transposition of the great arteries in fetuses reduces neonatal morbidity and mortality. Circulation 1999;99:916-8
12. Tworetzky W McElhinney DB Reddy VM Brook MM Hanley FL Silverman NH. Improved surgical outcome after fetal diagnosis of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Circulation 2001;103:1269-1273
13. Small M Copel JA. Indications for fetal echocardiography. Pediatr Cardiol 2004;25:210-222
14. Lee W Allan L Carvalho JS Chaoui R Copel J DeVore G et al. ISUOG consensus statement: what constitutes a fetal echocardiogram? Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2008;32:239-42
15. Anderson RH Becker AE Freedom RM Macartney FJ et al. Sequential segmental analysis of congenital heart disease. Pediatr Cardiol 1984;5:281-287
16. Yoo SJ Lee YH Cho KS Kim DY. Sequential segmental approach to fetal congenital heart disease. Cardiol Young 1999;9:430-44
17. Carvalho JS Ho SY Shinebourne EA. Sequential segmental analysis in complex fetal cardiac abnormalities: a logical approach to diagnosis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005;26:105-111
18. Allan LD. A practical approach to fetal heart scanning. Semin Perinatol 2000;24:324-30
19. Yagel S Arbel R Anteby EY Raveh D Achiron R. The three vessels and trachea view (3VT) in fetal cardiac scanning. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002;20:340-5
20. Del Bianco A Russo S Lacerenza N Rinaldi M Rinaldi G Nappi L Greco P. Four chamber view plus three-vessel and trachea view for a complete evaluation of the fetal heart during the second trimester. J Perinat Med 2006;34:309-12. Erratum in: J Perinat Med 2006;34:509
21. Pascal CJ Huggon I Sharland GK Simpson JM. An echocardiographic study of diagnostic accuracy prediction of surgical approach and outcome for fetuses diagnosed with discordant ventriculo-arterial connections. Cardiol Young 2007;17:528-34
22. Chiba Y Kanzaki T Kobayashi H Murakami M Yutani C. Evaluation of fetal structural heart disease using color flow mapping. Ultrasound Med Biol 1990;16:221-9
23. DeVore GR Horenstein J Siassi B Platt LD. Fetal echocardiography. VII. Doppler color flow mapping: a new technique for the diagnosis of congenital heart disease. Obstet Gynecol 1987;156:1054-64
24. DeVore GR. Assessing fetal cardiac ventricular function. Semin Fetal Neonat Med 2005;10:515-541
25. Cartier MS Davidoff A Warneke LA Hirsh MP Bannon S Sutton MS Doubilet PM. The normal diameter of the fetal aorta and pulmonary artery: Echocardiographic evaluation in utero. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1987;149:1003-1007
26. Sharland GK Allan LD. Normal fetal cardiac measurements derived by cross-sectional echocardiography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1992; 2:175-181
27. Tan J Silverman NH Hoffman JIE Villegas M Schmidt KG. Cardiac dimensions determined by cross-sectional echocardiography in the normal human fetus from 18 weeks to term. Am J Cardiol 1992;70:1459-1467
28. DeVore GR. Assessing fetal cardiac ventricular function. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2005;10:515-41
29. Pasquini L Mellander M Seale A Matsui H Roughton M Ho SY Gardiner HM. Z-scores of the fetal aortic isthmus and duct: an aid to assessing arch hypoplasia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2007;29:628-33. Erratum in: Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007;30:366
30. Schneider C McCrindle BW Carvalho JS HornbergerLK McCarthy KP Daubeney PE. Development of z-scores for fetal cardiac dimensions from echocardiography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005;26:599-605
31. Gonçalves LF Lee W Chaiworapongsa T Espinoza J Schoen ML Falkensammer P Treadwell M Romero R. Four-dimensional ultrasonography of the fetal heart with spatiotemporal image correlation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003;189:1792-802
32. Falkensammer CB Paul J Huhta JC. Fetal congestive heart failure: correlation of Tei-index and Cardiovascular-score. J Perinat Med. 2001;29:390-8.