The aim of this experimental work was the enhancement of water solubility of the lipid lowering atorvastatin, by embedding it in polymer based micro sized fibers obtained by electrospinning. We prepared a polyvinylpyrrolidone (Kollidon 90F®) dispersion and added the active substance. By setting the experimental parameters we obtained four different microfibers containing atorvastatin, and one without the drug. The pH, viscosity and conductivity of the dispersions have been measured. The drug content and dissolution of atorvastatin had been studied by capillary electrophoresis. The size and thermal behavior of the fibers was determined. The parameters of the microfibers are influenced by the experimental parameters of electrospinning. The micro-method for dissolution showed a twofold solubility enhancement.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Panghal D, Nagpal M, Thakur GS, Arora S. Dissolution Improvement of Atorvastatin Calcium using Modified Locust Bean Gum by the Solid Dispersion Technique. Scientia pharmaceutica. 2013;82(1):177-91.
2. Lau YY, Okochi H, Huang Y, Benet LZ. Pharmacokinetics of atorvastatin and its hydroxy metabolites in rats and the effects of concomitant rifampicin singel doses: relevance of first pass effect from hepatic uptake transposrtes, and intestinal and hepatic metabolism. Drug Metabolism and Disposition. 2006;34(7):1175-81.
3. Prabhu P, Patravale V. Dissolution enhancement of atorvastatin calcium by co-grinding technique. Drug delivery and translational research. 2016;6(4):380-91.
4. Rodde MS, Divase GT, Devkar TB, Tekade AR. Solubility and Bioavailability Enhancement of Poorly Aqueous Soluble Atorvastatin: In Vitro, Ex Vivo, and In Vivo Studies. BioMed Research International. 2014;2014:10.
5. Han L, Li M, Liu Y, Han C, Ye P. Atorvastatin May Delay Cardiac Aging by Upregulating Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors in Rats. Pharmacology. 2012;89(1-2):74-82.
6. Ahmed IS, El Hosary R, Hassan MA, Haider M, Abd-Rabo MM. Efficacy and Safety Profiles of Oral Atorvastatin-Loaded Nanoparticles: Effect of Size Modulation on Biodistribution. Molecular pharmaceutics. 2018;15(1):247-55.
7. Chen Z-g, Cai H-j, Jin X, Lu J-h, Wang J, Fang N-y. Effects of atorvastatin on bone mineral density (BMD) and bone metabolism in elderly males with osteopenia and mild dyslipidemia: A 1-year randomized trial. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2014;59(3):515-21.
8. McGown CC, Brookes ZLS, Hellewell PG, Ross JJ, Brown NJ. Atorvastatin reduces endotoxin-induced microvascular inflammation via NOSII. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology. 2015;388(5):557-64.
9. Ahmed IS, El-Hosary R, Shalaby S, Abd-Rabo MM, Elkhateeb DG, Nour S. PD-PK evaluation of freeze-dried atorvastatin calcium-loaded poly-epsilon-caprolactone nanoparticles. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2016;504(1-2):70-9.
10. Yao GT, Song LP, Xue WH, Su GH, Ning AH, Wang J. Nano-particle engineered atorvastatin delivery to support mesenchymal stem cell survival in infarcted myocardium. Saudi journal of biological sciences. 2018;25(6):1016-21.
11. Mathur M, Devi Vemula K. Investigation of different types of nano drug delivery systems of atorvastatin for the treatment of hyperlipidemia. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2018;44(12):2048-60.
12. Thenmozhi S, Dharmaraj N, Kadirvelu K, Kim HY. Electrospun nanofibers: New generation materials for advanced applications. Materials Science and Engineering: B. 2017;217:36-48.
13. Xue J, Xie J, Liu W, Xia Y. Electrospun Nanofibers: New Concepts, Materials, and Applications. Accounts of Chemical Research. 2017;50(8):1976-87.
14. Ignatious F, Sun L, Lee C-P, Baldoni J. Electrospun Nanofibers in Oral Drug Delivery. Pharmaceutical Research. 2010;27(4):576-88.
15. Cozza ES, Monticelli O, Marsano E, Cebe P. On the elect-rospinning of PVDF: influence of the experimental conditions on the nanofiber properties. Polymer International. 2013;62(1):41-8.
16. Desai S, Disouza J, Sable A, Hosmani A. Development of Orodispersible Tablet of Atorvastatin Calcium Using Hot Melt Extrusion. Drug Delivery Letters. 2015;5(1):19-30.
17. Székely-szentmiklósi B, Hancu G, Székely-szentmiklósi I, Kovács B, Kelemen H. Simultaneous determination of atorvastatin and ezetimibe from combined pharmaceutical products by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical sciences. 2017;53(1):e16122.
18. Shete G, Puri V, Kumar L, Bansal A. Solid state characterization of commercial crystalline and amorphous atorvastatin calcium samples. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2010;11(2):588-609.