The possibility of preparing fission chambers for the experimental determination of subcriticality without time-consuming corrections has been presented. The reactor detectors set consists of monoisotopic chambers. Each chamber is intended for a specific position in the system. Individual weights, rated a priori for all detectors in their positions, allow for quick calculation of whole system subcriticality. The inconveniences related to the spatial effect are minimized. This is achieved by computational simulation of the area method results, for each detector position and all possible fissionable and fissile nuclides. Next, one nuclide is selected, specific for the given position, presenting the smallest difference from the MCNP KCODE precisely estimated kkcode. The case study is made using the model of VENUS-F core.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Baeten, P., & Aït Abderrahim, H. (2003). Reactivity monitoring in ADS. Application to the MYRRHA ADS project. Progr. Nucl. Energy, 43(1/4), 413–419.
2. Gajda, P., Janczyszyn, J., & Pohorecki, W. (2013). Correction methods for pulsed neutron source reactivity measurement in accelerator driven systems. Nukleonika, 58(2), 287–293.
3. Becares Palacios, V. (2014). Evaluation of reactivity monitoring techniques at the Yalina-Booster Sub-critical Facility. PhD Thesis, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid. Available from http://oa.upm.es/35262/.
5. Maletti, R., & Ziegenbein, D. (1985). Space dependence of reactivity parameters on reactor dynamic perturbation measurements. In IAEA/NPPCI Specialists’ Meeting on “New Instrumentation of Water Cooled Reactors”, 23–25 April 1985, Dresden, DDR.
6. Janczyszyn, J. (2013). On the Sjöstrand method of reactivity measurement. Ann. Nucl. Energy, 60, 374–376.
7. Janczyszyn, J., Domańska, G., & Stanisz, P. (2018). Fission chambers for space effect reduction in the application of the area method. Ann. Nucl. Energy, 120, 896–898.
8. Kochetkov, A., Krasa, A., Vittiglio, G., Wagemans, J., Bianchini, A. G., Fabrizio, V., Carta, M., Firpo, G., Friedman, E., & Sarotto, M. (2016). Spectrum index and minor actinide fission rate measurements in several fast lead critical cores in the zero power VENUS-F reactor. In PHYSOR 2016, Sun Valley, Idaho, USA, 1–5 May 2016. Available from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302908360.
9. Talamo, A., Gohar, Y., Cao, Y., Zhong, Z., Kiyavitskaya, H., Bournos, V., Fokov, Y., & Routkovskaya, C. (2012). Impact of the neutron detector choice on Bell and Glasstone spatial correction factor for subcriticality measurement. Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. Sect. A-Accel. Spectrom. Dect. Assoc. Equ., 668, 71–82.
10. Talamo, A., Gohar, Y., Gabrielli, F., Rineiski, A., & Pyeon, C. H. (2017). Advances in the computation of the Sjöstrand, Rossi and Feynman distributions. Progr. Nucl. Energy, 101(Part C), 299–311.