Large quantity of sewage sludge originating from wastewater treatment plants is becoming a growing problem from environmental and human health points of view. One of the ways to use sewage sludge is agricultural purpose due to its nutrients and organic matter content, but the condition is that it should be deprived of pathogenic bacteria and parasite egg contamination. Application of ionizing radiation to hygienize sewage sludge can make it appropriate for agricultural use. The process does not require addition of chemicals to sludge; it is environmentally friendly and effective in removal of biological threats. In the past, successful attempts of sewage sludge treatment using ionizing radiation were made. Pilot plants and commercial ones proved that pathogens can be easily removed from sewage sludge by ionizing radiation. The concept of ‘zero energy’ biogas plant is based on the construction of a complex system consisting of biogas plant and electron accelerator in the biofertilizer manufacturing line. Digestate originating from the methane fermentation of sewage sludge is irradiated to remove all pathogens using electron beam from an accelerator powered by electric energy obtained from burning biogas in a cogenerator. The product is a high-quality, biologically safe fertilizer.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Chmielewski A. G. & Han B. (2016). Electron beam technology for environmental pollution control. Top. Curr. Chem. 374 68(30 pp.). DOI: 10.1007/s41061-016-0069-4.
2. Central Statistical Office of Poland. (2018 December). Statistical yearbook of the Republic of Poland 2018 (Chapter II: Environmental protection Table 13(24) p. 106). Retrieved January 24 2019 from http://stat.gov.pl/obszary-tematyczne/roczniki-statystyczne/rocznikistatystyczne/rocznik-statystyczny-rzeczypospolitejpolskiej-2018,2,18.html.
3. Inoue S. & Sawayama S. Ogi T. & Yokoyama S. (1996). Organic composition of liquidized sewage sludge. Biomass Bioenerg. 1 37–40.
4. El-Motaium R. & Badawy S. H. (2002). Irradiated sewage sludge for increased crop production – II. Effects on soil properties and tomato yields. In Irradiated sewage sludge for application to cropland (pp. 75–82). Vienna: IAEA. (IAEA-TECDOC-CD-1317).
5. Werther J. & Ogada T. (1999). Sewage sludge combustion. Prog. Energ. Combust. 25 55–116.
6. Morgano M. T. Leibold H. Richter F. Stapf D. & Seifert H. (2018). Screw pyrolysis technology for sewage sludge treatment. Waste Manage. 73 487–495.
7. Adam C. Peplinski B. Michaelis M. Kley G. & Simon F. -G. (2009). Thermochemical treatment of sewage sludge ashes for phosphorus recovery. Waste Manage. 29(3) 1122–1128.
8. European Comission. (2001). Pollutants in urban waste water and sewage sludge final report. London UK. Retrieved February 13 2019 from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/archives/waste/sludge/pdf/sludge_pollutants.pdf.
9. El-Motaium R. Ezzat H. E. M. El-Batanony M. Kreuzig R. & Abo-El Seoud M. (2002). Irradiated sewage sludge for increased crop production – I. Pathogens and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. In Irradiated sewage sludge for application to cropland (pp. 67–73). Vienna: IAEA. (IAEA-TECDOC-CD-1317).
10. Strauch D. (1991). Survival of pathogenic microorganisms and parasites in excreta manure and sewage sludge. Rev. Sci. Tech. OIE10(3) 813–846.
11. European Union. (1986 June). EU Council Directive 86/278/EEC of 12 June 1986 on the protection of the environment and in particular of the soil when sewage sludge is used in agriculture.
12. Minister of Environment. (2010 July). Regulation of the Minister of Environment of 13 July 2010 on municipal sewage sludge. Dz. U. 2010 no. 137 item 924 (in Polish).
13. Minister of Economy. (2015 July). Regulation of the Minister of Economy of 16 July 2015 on the admission of waste for landfill. Dz. U.2015 item 1277 (in Polish).
14. Dymaczewski Z. Oleszkiewicz J. A. & Sozański M. M. (1997). Poradnik eksploatatora oczyszczalni ścieków. Poznań: Polskie Zrzeszenie Inżynierów i Techników Sanitarnych.
15. US Environmental Protection Agency. (1995). AP-42: Compilation of air emissions factors. Vol. 1: Stationary point and area sources Chapter 2: Solid waste disposal. Retrieved February 13 2019 from https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch02/index.html.
16. Fiedler H. (1996). Sources of PCDD/PCDF and impact on the environment. Chemosphere32(1) 55–64.
17. Aparecida da Silva Aquino K. (2012). Sterilization by gamma irradiation. In F. Adrovic (Ed.) Gamma radiation (Chapter 9 pp. 171–206). Rijeka: InTech. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/gamma-radiation/sterilization-by-gamma-irradiation.
18. Chmielewski A. G. Zimek Z. Bryl-Sandelewska T. Kosmal W. Kalisz L. & Kaźmierczuk M. (1995). Disinfection of municipal sewage sludges in installation equipped with electron accelerator. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 46(4/6) 1071–1074.
19. Naign T. T. & Lay K. K. (2015). Utilization of gamma radiation in industrial wastewater treatment. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering3(6) 1–5. Available from http://www.iraj.in/journal/journal_file/journal_pdf/2-148-14344558851-5.pdf.
20. Lessel T. & Hennig E. (1976). The pilot plant in Geiselbullach for the gamma irradiation operation experience and cost calculations. In Meeting of the European Society of Nuclear Methods in Agriculture 8 June 1976 Muenchen Germany (13 pp.). Retrieved December 21 2018 from https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/08/330/8330700.pdf.
21. Janlong W. & Jazhuo W. (2007). Application of radiation technology to sewage sludge processing: a review. J. Hazard. Mater. 143 2–7.
22. International Atomic Energy Agency. (2007). Radiation processing: environmental applications. Vienna: IAEA. Available from https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/RPEA_Web.pdf.
23. Kim Y. Han B. Kim J. K. Ben Yaacov N. & Jeong K. Y. (2005). Design of electron beam sludge hygienisation plant. Retrieved February 18 2019 from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/81ff/f088f4e2fbea265d8faa685f83b47c53a800.pdf.
24. Chmielewski A. G. Berbeć A. Zalewski M. & Dobrowolski A. (2012). Hydraulic mixing modelling in reactor for biogas production. Chem. Process Eng.33(4) 621–628. DOI: 10.2478/v10176-012-0052-8.
25. Kryłowicz A. Chrzanowski K. & Usidus J. (2008). Method and system of transport and housing of biomass slurry in a hydroliser and fermenter. Polish Patent No. 197595. Warsaw: Polish Patent Office (in Polish).
26. Chmielewski A. G. Palige J. Roubinek O. Zimek Z. Gryczka U. Usidus J. Pietrzak K. & Edgecock R. (2016). Method of wastewater hygielization. Polish Patent application. P-419131. Warsaw: Polish Patent Office (in Polish).