Theoretical study of NOx removal from humid air by a hybrid system (catalyst combined with electron beam) was carried out. The purpose of this work is to study the possibility to decrease energy consumption for NOx removal. The kinetics of radiation catalytic oxidation of NO on the catalyst TiO2 surface under electron beam irradiation was elaborated. Program Scilab 5.3.0 was used for numerical simulations. Influential parameters such as inlet NO concentration, dose, gas fl ow rate, water concentration and catalyst contents that can affect NOx removal efficiency were studied. The results of calculation show that the removal efficiency of NOx might be increased by 8-16% with the presence of a catalyst in the gas irradiated field.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Chmielewski, A. G., Licki, J., Pawelec, A., Tymiński, B., & Zimek, Z. (2004). Operational experience of the industrial plant for electron beam fl ue gas treatment. Radiat. Phys. Chem., 71(1/2), 441-444. DOI: 10.1016/j.radphyschem.2004.03.020.
2. Sun, Y., Zwolińska, E., & Chmielewski, A. G. (2016). Abatement technologies for high concentrations of NOx and SO2 removal from exhaust gases: A review. Crit. Rev. Environ. Sci. Technol., 46(2), 119-142. DOI: 10.1080/10643389.2015.1063334.
3. Minachev, X. M., & Antoshin, G. V. (1973). Radiation- catalytic activity of oxygen. Proceedings of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 9, 52-60 (in Russian).
4. Hakoda, T., Matsumoto, K., Mizuno, A., Kojima, T., & Hirota, K. (2008). Catalytic oxidation of xylene in air using TiO2 under electron beam irradiation. Plasma Chem. Plasma Process., 28, 25-37. DOI: 10.1007/s11090-007-9114-y.
5. Cubillos Sanabria, H. A. (2011). Heterogeneous photocatalytic oxidation of NOx under indoor conditions: experimental and simulation study. MSc thesis. Eindhoven University of Technology, Department of the Built Environment.
6. Yu, Q. L., Ballari, M. M., & Brouwers, H. J. H. (2010). Indoor air purifi cation using heterogeneous photocatalytic oxidation. Part II: Kinetic study. Appl. Catal. B-Environ., 99, 58-65. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2010.05.032.
7. Gladkyi, A. Yu., & Aristov, Yu. I. (1998). High radiation-chemical yield of separated electron-hole pairs in the radiolysis of dispersed magnesium oxides in presence of N2O or H2. High Energy Chemistry (Moscow), 32(3), 179-184 (in Russian).
8. Baranov, V. F. (1974). Electron radiation dosimetry. Moscow: Atomizdat (in Russian).
9. Licki, J., Chmielewski, A. G., Pawelec, A., Zimek, Z., & Witman, S. (2014). Electron beam treatment of exhaust gas with high NOx concentration. Phys. Scripta, 161, 014067(1-4). DOI: 10.1088/0031-8949/2014/T161/014067.
10. Chmielewski, A. G., Sun, Y., Zimek, Z., Bułka, S., & Licki, J. (2002). Mechanism of NOx removal by electron beam process in the presence of scavengers. Radiat. Phys. Chem., 65, 397-403. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(02)00340-7.