The COMPASS tokamak is equipped with two identical neutral beam injectors (NBI) for additional plasma heating. They provide a beam of deuterium atoms with a power of up to ~(2 × 300) kW. We show that the neutral beam is not monoenergetic but contains several energy components. An accurate knowledge of the neutral beam power in each individual energy component is essential for a detailed description of the beam- -plasma interaction and better understanding of the NBI heating processes in the COMPASS tokamak. This paper describes the determination of individual energy components in the neutral beam from intensities of the Doppler-shifted Dα lines, which are measured by a high-resolution spectrometer viewing the neutral beam-line at the exit of NBI. Furthermore, the divergence of beamlets escaping single aperture of the last accelerating grid is deduced from the width of the Doppler-shifted lines. Recently, one of the NBI systems was modified by the removal of the Faraday copper shield from the ion source. The comparison of the beam composition and the beamlet divergence before and after this modification is also presented.
1. Panek, R., Bilková, O., Fuchs, V., Hron, M., Chraska, P., Stockel, J., Urban, J., Weinzettl, V., Zajac, J., & Zacek, F. (2006). Reinstallation of the COMPASS-D tokamak in IPP ASCR. Czech. J. Phys., 56(Suppl. 2), B125-B137. DOI: 10.1007/s10582-006-0188-1.
2. Deichuli, P., Davydenko, V., Belov, V., Gorbovsky, A., & Dranichnikov, A. (2012). Commissioning of heating neutral beams for COMPASS-D tokamak. Rev. Sci. Instrum., 83, 02B114-1-02B114-3. DOI: 10.1063/1.3672108.
3. Uhlemann, R., Hemsworth, R. S., Wang, G., & Euringer, H. (1993). Hydrogen and deuterium ion species mix and injected neutral beam power fractions of the TEXTOR-PINIs for 20-60 kV determined by Doppler shift spectroscopy. Rev. Sci. Instrum., 64, 974-982. DOI: 10.1063/1.1144100.
4. Kim, J., & Haselton, H. H. (1979). Analysis of particle species evolution in neutral-beam injection lines. J. Appl. Phys., 50, 3802-3808. DOI: 10.1063/1.326504.
5. Deschamps, G. H., Falter, H. D., Hemsworth, R. S., & Massman, P. (1988). JET neutral beam species measurements by Doppler-shift spectroscopy. Plasma Phys. Fusion Technol., 1, 588-592.
6. Bilau Faust, R. (1991). Spectrometrical measurement of the species composition and beam divergence of hydrogen and deuterium beams the ASDEX NI-beamline ion sources and the HF sources. Garching bei Munchen: Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik. (IPP 4/245).
7. Werner, O., & Penningsfeld, F. P. (1993). Spectroscopic determination of species and divergence of hydrogen beams in the W7AS neutral beam injectors. Garching bei Munchen: Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik. (IPP 4/258).