For the study of the coupled interfacial-mass transfer kinetics of, inter alia, TBP, TODGA, CyMe4-BTBP and CyMe4-BTPhen based solvent extraction processes, a new rotating diffusion cell (RDC) apparatus has been established at Lancaster University. RDC studies of Ce(IV)/TBP and Ce(III)/TODGA extraction systems have been undertaken in order to improve the understanding of the chemical and kinetic processes involved. In each case, an interesting dependency on local hydrodynamics at the solution phase boundary with results suggesting that the organic extractant molecules migrate into the aqueous phase in order to capture Ce.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bourg S. (2015). SACSESS - Safety of actinide separation processes. Available from http://www.sacsess.eu/
2. Basak U. & Dyck G. R. (2010). IAEA activities on assessment of partitioning processes for transmutation of actinides. In Proceedings of the First ACSEPT International Workshop 31 March - 2 April 2010. Lisbon Portugal.
3. Bourg S. Touron E. Caravaca C. Ekberg C. Gaubert E. & Hill C. (2008). ACSEPT: a new FP7- Euratom Collaborative Project in the fi eld of partitioning processes for advanced fuel cycles. In ATALANTE 2008 May 19-22. Montpellier.
4. Albery W. J. Burke J. F. Leffl er E. B. & Hadgraft J. (1976). Interfacial transfer studied with a rotating diffusion cell. J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 1 72 1618-1626. DOI: 10.1039/f19767201618.
5. Modolo G. Asp H. Schreinemachers C. & Vijgen H. (2007). Development of a TODGA based process for partitioning of actinides from a PUREX raffinate Part I: Batch extraction optimization studies and stability tests. Solvent Extr. Ion Exch. 25 703-721. DOI: 10.1080/07366290701634578
6. Sypula M. Wilden W. Schreinemachers C. & Modolo G. (2010). Separation of An(III) from PUREX raffi nate as an innovative SANEX process based on a mixture of TODGA/TBP. In Proceedings of the First ACSEPT International Workshop 31 March - 2 April 2010. Lisbon Portugal.
7. Löfström-Engdahl E. Aneheim E. Ekberg C. Foreman M. Halleröd J. & Skarnemark G. (2014). Extraction thermodynamics of Am(III) and Eu(III) using CyMe4-BTBP in various organic diluents. J. Chem. Therm. 76 64-69. DOI: 10.1016/j.jct.2014.03.004.
8. Afsar A. Harwood L. M. & Hudson M. J. (2015). The development of molecules for the highly effi cient separation of americium(III) from lanthanides(III). In Reference module in chemistry molecular sciences and chemical engineering. Elsevier. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780124095472113988.
9. Albery W. J. & Choudhery R. A. (1988). Transport and kinetics in reactions involving two liquid phases. J. Phys. Chem. 92 1151-1155. DOI: 10.1021/ j100316a030.
10. Wilden A. Modolo G. Sypula M. Geist A. & Magnusson D. (2012). The recovery of An(III) in an innovative-SANEX process using a TODGA-based solvent and selective stripping with a hydrophilic BTP. Procedia Chem. 7 418-424. DOI: 10.1016/j. proche.2012.10.065.
11. Sharrad C. A. & Whittaker D. M. (2015). The use of organic extractants in solvent extraction processes in the partitioning of spent nuclear fuels. In R. Taylor (Ed.) Reprocessing and recycling of spent nuclear fuel (pp. 153-189). Oxford: Woodhead Publishing.
12. Levich V. G. (1962). Physicochemical hydrodynamics. Englewood Cliffs N.J.: Prentice-Hall.