The investigations of iron-containing phases existing in fly ashes were performed using transmission Mössbauer spectrometry. The examined samples of fly ashes were collected from different coal combustion systems, that is, stoker-fired boiler in municipal heating plant and pulverized coal boiler in power plant. Several phases are identified in the samples: iron oxides, paramagnetic aluminosilicate glass with Fe3+ ions and Al2O4-type spinel with Fe2+ ions. It was pointed out that proportions of contents of phases strongly depend not only on the combustion temperature but also on the way of ash collection.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Szumiata T. Brzózka K. Górka B. Gawroński M. Gzik-Szumiata M. Świetlik R. & Trojanowska M. (2014). Iron speciation in coal fly ashes – chemical and Mössbauer analysis. Hyperfine Interact. 226 483–487. DOI: 10.1007/s10751-013-0950-2.
2. Szumiata T. Gawroński M. Górka B. Brzózka K. Świetlik R. Trojanowska M. & Strzelecka M. (2013). Chemical magnetic and Mössbauer effect analysis of road dust from expressway. Nukleonika58 107–110.
3. Bajukov O. A. Anshits N. N. Petrova M. I. Balaev A. D. & Anshits A. G. (2009). Composition of ferrospinel phase and magnetic properties of microspheres and cenospheres from fly ashes. Mater. Chem. Phys. 114 495–503. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2008.09.061.
4. Nishida T. Tokunaga M. Sugata Y. & Kubuki S. (2005). Mössbauer study of semiconducting and ferrimagnetic fly ash-recycled glass. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 266 171–177. DOI: 10.1007/s10967-005-0889-0.
5. Jończy I. & Stanek J. (2013). Phase composition of metallurgical slag studied by Mössbauer spectroscopy. Nukleonika58 127–131.
6. Gomes S. François M. Abdelmoula M. Refait Ph. Pellissier C. & Evrard O. (1999). Characterization of magnetite in silico-aluminous fly ash by SEM TEM XRD magnetic susceptibility and Mössbauer spectroscopy. Cement. Concr. Res. 29 1705–1711. DOI: 10.1016/S0008-8846(99)00133-7.
7. Javed A. Szumiata T. Morley N. A. & Gibbs M. R. J. (2010). An investigation of the effect of structural order on magnetostriction and magnetic behaviour of Fe-Ga thin films. Acta Mater. 58 4003–4011. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2010.03.023.
8. Szumiata T. Górka B. Brzózka K. Gawroński M. Gzik-Szumiata M. Javed A. Morley N. A. & Gibbs M. R. J. (2013). Mössbauer study of vacuum annealed Fe100−xGax (10 ≤ x ≤ 35) thin films. Nukleonika58 25–28.
9. Taneja S. P. (2004). Mössbauer studies of thermal power plant coal and fly ash. Hyperfine Interact. 153 83–90. 10.1023/B:HYPE.0000024715.55347.fe.
10. Vandenberghe R. E. de Resende V. G. & De Grave E. (2009). Mössbauer effect study of fly and bottom ashes from an electric generating plant. Hyperfine Interact. 191 11–16. DOI: 10.1007/s10751-009-9978-8.
11. Vandenberghe R. E. de Resende V. G. da Costa G. M. & De Grave E. (2010). Study of loss-on-ignition anomalies found in ashes from combustion of iron-rich coal. Fuel89 2405–2410. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.01.022.
12. Zyryanov V. V. Petrov S. A. & Matvienko A. A. (2011). Characterization of spinel and magnetospheres of coal fly ashes collected in power plants in the former USSR. Fuel90 486–492. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.10.006.