In this paper, an electromagnetic levitation system was used with a synchronous motor to navigate the control rod of a small-type research reactor. The result from this prototype magnetic levitation system was in agreement with simulation results. The control system was programmed in MATLAB through open-loop system, closed-loop with state feedback and closed-loop with state feedback integral tracking. The final control system showed the highest performance with a low positioning error. Our results showed that the developed control system has the potential to be used as a reliable actuator in nuclear reactors to satisfy higher performance and safety.
1. Hanliang, B., Wenxiang, Z., & Duo, D. (2000). Studies on the performance of the hydraulic control rod drive for the NHR-200. Nucl. Eng. Des., 195, 117-121.
2. Yuanqiang, W., Xingzhong, D., Huizhong, Z., & Zhiyong, H. (2002). Design and tests for the HTR-10 control rod system. Nucl. Eng. Des., 218, 147-154.
3. Takeda, T., & Tachibana, Y. (2003). Indirect air cooling techniques for control rod drives in the high temperature engineering test reactor. Nucl. Eng. Des., 223, 25-40.
4. Chyou, Y. P., Yu, D. D., & Chen, Y. N. (2004). Performance validation on the prototype of control rod driving mechanism for the TRR-II project. Nucl. Eng. Des., 227, 195-207.
5. Mousavi Shirazi, S. A., Aghanajafi, C., Sadoughi, S., & Sharifloo, N. (2010). Design, construction and simulation of a multipurpose system for precision movement of control rods in nuclear reactors. Ann. Nucl. Energy, 37, 1659-1665.
6. Tanaka, A., Futahashi, K., Takanabe, K., Kurimura, C., Kato, J., & Hara, H. (2008). Development of a 3-D simulation analysis system for PWR control rod drive mechanism. Int. J. Pressure Vessels Pip., 85, 655-661.
7. International Atomic Energy Agency. (1986). Technology and use of low power research reactors. Vienna: IAEA. (IAEA-TECDOC-384).
8. Tabadar, Z., Hadad, K., Nematollahi, M. R., Jabbari, M., Khaleghi, M., & Hashemi-Tilehnoee, M. (2012). Simulation of a control rod ejection accident in a VVER-1000/V446 using RELAP5/Mod3.2. Ann. Nucl. Energy, 45, 106-114.
9. Ku, C. L., Li, T. H. S., & Guo, N. R. (2005). Design of a novel fuzzy sliding-mode control for magnetic ball levitation system. J. Intell. Robot. Syst., 42(3), 295-316.
10. Maghsoudlou, A., Barzamini, R., & Farhani, K. D. (2011). Non-linear control based on feedback linearization for double-electromagnet suspension system. Electron. Electr. Eng., 108(2), 85-90.
11. Ogata, K. (2010). Modern control engineering (5th ed.). Boston: Prentice-Hall.