Several inspection methods can be used to assess the corrosion state of steel reinforcement in concrete. Especially for periodical field surveys and monitoring, non-destructive testing (NDT) methods are to be preferred as they do not cause any or very limited damage to the existing concrete. In this paper, the corrosion state of three reinforced concrete beams exposed to marine environment for 25 years was evaluated by measuring three parameters; electrochemical potential, concrete resistivity and corrosion rate. The measurements were performed with commercial devices. It was found that all devices are applicable for field inspections. Among the methods selected for the study, the electrochemical potential measured in a fine grid and analysed statistically offered the best possibility of evaluating the corrosion state; preferably in combination with selected excavations for determination of the level of corrosion.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bertolini L, Elsener B, Pedeferri P, Redaelli E & Polder R B: “Corrosion of Steel in Concrete: Prevention, Diagnosis, Repair”, 2nd Edition. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co, 2013.
2. Broomfield J P: “Corrosion of steel in concrete: understanding, investigation, and repair”. 1. ed. E & FN Spon. xxi, London and New York, 1997, 240 pp.
3. Elsener B, Andrade C, Gulikers J, Polder R B & Raupach M: “Half-cell potential measurements - Potential mapping on reinforced concrete structures”. Materials and Structures, Vol. 36, No. 261, 2003, pp. 461-471.
4. ASTM: “ASTM C876 Standard Test Method for Corrosion Potentials of Uncoated Reinforcing Steel in Concrete”. 2015.
5. Gulikers J & Elsener B: “Development of a calculation procedure for the statistical interpretation of the results of potential mapping performed on reinforced concrete structures”. Materials and Corrosion-Werkstoffe Und Korrosion, Vol. 60, No. 2, 2009, pp. 87-92.
6. SIA: “Planung, Durchfuhrung und Interpretation der Potenzialmessung an Stahlbeton (in German)”. Zurich, Switzerland, 2013,
7. Gjørv O E, Vennesland Ø & El-Busaidy A H S: “Electrical Resistivity of Concrete in the Oceans”. Proceedings, 9th Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, USAm 1977, pp. 581-588.
8. Bertolini L & Polder R B: “Concrete resistivity and reinforcement corrosion rate as a function of temperature and humidity of the environment”. TNO report, TNO Building and Construction Research. The Nethrelands, 1997.
9. Elkey W & Sellevold E J: “Electrical resistivity of concrete”. Norwegian Roads Research Laboratory, Oslo, Norway, 1995.
10. Whiting D A & Nagi M A: “Electrical Resistivity of Concrete - A Literature Review”. R&D Serial No. 2457. Portland Cemente Association: Skokie, Illinois, USA, 2003.
11. Hornbostel K: “The role of concrete resistivity in chloride-induced macro-cell corrosion of reinforcement”. Doctoral Thesis, Department of Structural Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway, 2015.
12. Polder R B: “Test methods for on site measurement of resistivity of concrete - a RILEM TC-154 technical recommendation”. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 15, No. 2-3, 2001, pp. 125-131.
13. Andrade C, Alonso C, Gulikers J, Polder R B, Cigna R, Vennesland Ø, Salta M, Raharinaivo A & Elsener B: “Rilem TC 154-EMC: Electrochemical techniques for measuring metallic corrosion - Test methods for on-site corrosion rate measurement of steel reinforcement in concrete by means of the polarization resistance method”. Materials and Structures, Vol. 37, No. 273, 2004, pp. 623-643.
14. Elsener B: “Corrosion rate of steel in concrete - Measurements beyond the Tafel law”. Corrosion Science, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2005, pp. 3019-3033.
15. Stern M & Geary A L: “Electrochemical polarization. I. A theoretical analysis of the shape of polarization curves.”. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 104, No. 1, 1957, pp. 56-63.
16. Bertolini L, Gastaldi M, Pedeferri M P, Pedeferri P & Pastore T: “Effects of galvanic coupling between carbon steel and stainless steel reinforcement in concrete”. Proceedings, International Conference on Corrosion and Rehabilitation of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Orlando, Florida, USA, 1998.
17. Nygaard P V, Geiker M R & Elsener B: “Corrosion rate of steel in concrete: evaluation of confinement techniques for on-site corrosion rate measurements”. Materials and Structures, Vol. 42, No. 8, 2009, pp. 1059-1076.
18. Raupach M: „Zur chloridinduzierten Makroelementkorrosion von Stahl in Beton”. Vol. Heft 433, Deutscher Ausschuss für Stahlbeton. Beuth Verlag GmbH, Berlin, Germany, 1992. (In German).
19. Jäggi S, Böhni H & Elsener B: “Macrocell corrosion of steel in concrete - experiments and numerical modelling”. In “Corrosion of reinforcement in concrete - mechanisms, monitoring, inhibitors and rehabilitation techniques”. (M Raupach et al., Editors). Woodhead Publishing Limited / CRC Press, 2007, pp. 75-88.
20. Elsener B: “Macrocell corrosion of steel in concrete - implications for corrosion monitoring”. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2002, pp. 65-72.
21. Angst U & Büchler M: “On the applicability of the Stern-Geary relationship to determine instantaneous corrosion rates in macro-cell corrosion”. Materials and Corrosion-Werkstoffe und Korrosion, Vol. doi: 10.1002/maco.201407997, 2014.
22. Andrade C & González J A: “Quantitative measurements of corrosion rate of reinforcing steels embedded in concrete using polarization resistance measurements”. Materials and Corrosion-Werkstoffe und Korrosion, Vol. 29, 1978, pp. 515-519.
23. Andrade C & Alonso C: “Corrosion rate monitoring in the laboratory and on-site”. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 10, No. 5, 1996, pp. 315-328.
24. Tang L & Fu Y: “A rapid technique using handheld instrument for mapping corrosion of steel in reinforced concrete”. Restoration of Buildings and Monuments, Vol. 12 (5-6), 2006, pp. 387-400.
25. Tang L & Utgenannt P: “Verification of a rapid technique for corrosion measurement using reinforced concrete slabs after long-term field exposure”. Proceedings, Concrete Platform 2007, Belfast, UK, 2007.
26. Hope B B, Page J A & Ip A K C: “Corrosion Rates of Steel in Concrete”. Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1986, pp. 771-781.
27. Danner T, Revert A B & Gelker M R: “Field station Sandnessjøen. Effect of cracks in concrete after 25 years - Data report”. Norway, 2020,
28. Geiker M, Danner T, Michel A, Belda Revert A, Linderoth O & Hornbostel K: “25 years’ field exposure of pre-cracked concrete beams; combined impact of spacers and cracks on reinforcement corrosion.”. Submitted to Cement and Concrete Research, 2020.
29. Isaksen H R & Holtmon J P: “Rapport fra produksjon av prøveelementer”. 94-13 BRU Vegvesen, Norway, 1994. (In Norwegian).
30. Liestøl G, Kompen R, Sellevold E J & Isaksen H R: “Resepter og fasthet”. 95-07 BRU Vegvesen, Norway, 1995. (In Norwegian).
31. Officials A A o S H a T. AASHTO T260 Standard method of test for sampling and testing for chloride ion in concrete and concrete raw materials. 2009.
32. Wenner F “A method of measuring earth resistivity”. National Bureau of Standards, Bulletin 12 (4): Washington, USA, 1915, pp. 478-496.
33. Angst U M & Elsener B: “On the Applicability of the Wenner Method for Resistivity Measurements of Concrete”. ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 111, No. 6, 2014, pp. 661-672.
34. Fahim A, Ghods P, Alizadeh R, Salehi M & Decarufel S: “CEPRA - A new test method for rebar corrosion rate measurement”. STP: Selected Technical Papers, 2017.
35. Elsener B & Bohni H: “Potential Mapping and Corrosion of Steel in Concrete”. In: “Corrosion Rates of Steel tn Concrete, ASTM STP 1065”. (N S Berke, V Chaker & D Whiting, Editors). American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, USA, 1990, pp. 143-156.
36. Hornbostel K, Larsen C K & Geiker M R: “Relationship between concrete resistivity and corrosion rate - A literature review”. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 39, 2013, pp. 60-72.
37. Hornbostel K, Angst U M, Elsener B, Larsen C K & Geiker M R: “Influence of mortar resistivity on the rate-limiting step of chloride-induced macro-cell corrosion of reinforcing steel”. Corrosion Science, Vol. 110, 2016, pp. 46-56.
38. Hornbostel K, Elsener B, Angst U M, Larsen C K & Geiker M R: “Limitations of the use of concrete bulk resistivity as an indicator for the rate of chloride-induced macro-cell corrosion”. Structural Concrete, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2017, pp. 326-333.