Current theoretical models for predicting the concrete cone breakout capacity of tension loaded headed anchors do not consider the influence of member thickness, size of anchor head, and orthogonal surface reinforcement. In the present study, the influence of the aforementioned parameters was studied both numerically and experimentally. Both the numerical and experimental results showed that the tensile resistance of headed anchors increases by increasing the member thickness or if orthogonal surface reinforcement is present. In addition, the anchorage capacity further increases with increase of the anchor head size.
The current model for predicting the concrete cone failure load of tension loaded headed anchors were refined and extended by incorporating three modification factors to account for the influence of the member thickness, size of anchor head, and orthogonal surface reinforcement. The accuracy of the proposed model was verified based on the results of 124 tests on single headed anchors from literature.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Eligehausen R Mallée R & Silva J F: “Anchorage in Concrete Construction”. Ernst & Sohn Berlin Germany 2006 378 pp.
2. ACI Committee 349: “Code Requirements for Nuclear Safety-Related Concrete Structures (ACI 349-85)”. American Concrete Institute Detroit USA 1985.
3. Fuchs W Eligehausen R & Breen J E: “Concrete Capacity Design (CCD) Approach for Fastening to Concrete”. ACI Structural Journal Vol. 92 No. 1 1995 pp. 73–94.
4. CEB: “Design of Fastenings in Concrete Comité Euro-International du Béton”. Thomas Telford Lausanne Switzerland 1997 92 pp.
5. CEN/TS 1992-4: “CEN Technical Specification (TS): Design of Fastenings for Use in Concrete Final Draft”. European Organization for Standardization (CEN) Brussels Belgium 2009 166 pp.
6. fib Bulletin 58. “Design of Anchorages in concrete – Guide to good practice”. International Federation for Structural Concrete Lausanne Switzerland 2011 280 pp.
7. ACI 349: “Code Requirements for Nuclear Safety-Related Concrete Structures Appendix D”. American Concrete Institute Farmington Hills MI USA 2006.
8. ACI 318: “Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary”. American Concrete Institute Farmington Hills MI USA 2014 524 pp.
9. Ožbolt J Eligehausen R Periškić G & Mayer U: “3D FE Analysis of Anchor Bolts with Large Embedment Depths” Engineering Fracture Mechanics Vol. 74 Nos. 1-2 2007 pp.168-178.
10. Eligehausen R Bouška P Červenka V & Pukl R: “Size Effect of the Concrete Cone Failure Load of Anchor Bolts”. Proceedings 1st International Conference of Fracture Mechanics of Concrete Structures (FRAMCOS 1) Z.P. Bazant ed. 1992 pp. 517–525.
11. Nilsson M Ohlsson U & Elfgren L: “Effects of Surface Reinforcement on Bearing Capacity of Concrete with Anchor Bolts.” Nordic Concrete Research No. 44 2011 pp. 161–174.
12. Zhao G: “Tragverhalten von randfernen Kopfbolzenverankerungen bei Betonbruch”. Ph.D. Dissertation University of Stuttgart Stuttgart Germany 1993 204 pp. (In German).
13. Lee N. H. Kim K. S. Bang C. J. & Park K. R. (2007). “Tensile-headed anchors with large diameter and deep embedment in concrete”. ACI Structural Journal Vol. 104 No. 4 2007 pp. 479-486.
14. Ožbolt J Li Y & Kožar I: “Microplane Model for Concrete with Relaxed Kinematic Constraint” International Journal of Solids and Structures Vol. 38 No. 16 2001 pp. 2683-2711.
15. Bažant Z P & Oh B H: “Crack Band Theory for Fracture of Concrete” Materials and Structures (RILEM) Vol. 16 No. 3 1983 pp. 155-177.
16. Nilforoush R: “Anchorage in Concrete Structures: Numerical and Experimental Evaluations of Load-Carrying Capacity of Cast-in-Place Headed Anchors and Post-Installed Adhesive Anchors”. Ph.D. Dissertation Dep. of Civil Environment and Natural Resources Engineering Div. of Structural and Fire Engineering Luleå University of Technology Luleå Sweden 2017 354 pp.
17. EN 12390-3 (2009). “Testing hardened concrete. Compressive strength of test specimens”. 19 pp.
18. EN 12390-6 (2009). “Testing hardened concrete. Tensile splitting strength of test specimens”. 11 pp.
19. Nilforoush R Nilsson M Elfgren L Ožbolt J Hofmann J & Eligehausen R: “Tensile Capacity of Anchor Bolts in Uncracked Concrete: Influence of Member Thickness and Anchor’s Head Size”. ACI Structural Journal Vol. 114 No. 6 2017 pp. 1519-1530
20. Nilforoush R Nilsson M Elfgren L Ožbolt J Hofmann J & Eligehausen R: “Influence of Surface Reinforcement Member Thickness and Cracked Concrete on Tensile Capacity of Anchor Bolts”. ACI Structural Journal Vol. 114 No. 6 2017 pp. 1543-1556
21. Nilforoush R. Nilsson M. Elfgren L. “Experimental Evaluation of Influence of Member Thickness Anchor-Head Size and Reinforcement on the Tensile Capacity of Headed Anchors in Uncracked Concrete” Journal of Structural Engineering Vol. 144 No. 4 2018 14 pp 04018012-1-14.