This project focused on how the cracking process in concrete is influenced by both the micro and meso structures of concrete. The aim was to increase knowledge pertaining to the effect of critical parameters on the cracking process and how this is related to the material’s macroscopic properties. A methodology based on the combination of different experimental methods and measuring techniques at different scales was developed. Crack propagation during tensile loading of small-scale specimens in a tensile stage was monitored by means of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) and Acoustic Emission (AE). After testing, crack patterns were studied using fluorescence microscopy.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Rouchier S, Foray G, Godin N, Woloszyn M and Roux J-J: Damage monitoring in fibre reinforced mortar by combined digital image correlation and acoustic emission. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 38, 2013, pp. 371-380.
2. Alam S Y, Saliba J and Loukili A: Fracture examination in concrete through combined digital image correlation and acoustic emission techniques. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 69, 2014, pp. 232-242.
3. Guo M, Alam S Y, Bendimerad A Z, Grondin F, Rozière E and Loukili A: Fracture process zone characteristics and identification of the micro-fracture phases in recycled concrete. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 181, 2017, pp. 101-115.
4. Caduff D and van Mier J G M: Analysis of compressive fracture of three different concretes by means of 3D-digital image correlation and vacuum impregnation. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 34, No. 4, 2010, pp. 281-290.
5. Sutton M A, Orteu J J and Schreier H W: Image correlation for shape, motion and deformation measurements. 2009, Springer, New York.
6. Destrebecq J F, Toussaint E and Ferrier E: Analysis of cracks and deformations in a full scale reinforced concrete beam using a digital image correlation technique. Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 51, No. 6, 2010, pp. 879–890.
7. Skoček J and Stang H: Application of optical deformation analysis system on wedge splitting test and its inverse analysis. Materials and Structures, Vol. 43, 2010, pp. 63–72.
8. Shah S P and Chandra Kishen J M: Fracture properties of concrete-concrete interfaces using digital image correlation. Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 303–313.
9. Flansbjer M, Lindqvist J E and Silfwerbrand J: Quantitative fracture characteristics in shear load. Proceedings, fib Symposium, Prague, Czech Republic, 8-10 June 2011, pp. 567-570.
10. Jacobsen J S, Poulsen P N and Olesen J F: Characterization of mixed mode crack opening in concrete. Materials and Structures, Vol. 45, 2012, pp. 107-122.
11. Skarżyński L, Kozicki J and Tejchman J: Application of DIC technique to concrete – Study on objectivity of measured surface displacements. Experimental Mechanics, Vil. 53, 2013, pp. 1545–1559.
12. Gencturk B, Hossain K, Kapadia A, Labib E and Mo Y-L: Use of digital image correlation technique in full-scale testing of prestressed concrete structures. Measurement, Vol. 47, 2014, pp. 505–515.
13. De Wilder K, Lava P, Debruyne D, Wang Y, De Roeck G and Vandewalle J: Experimental investigation on the shear capacity of pre-stressed concrete beams using digital image correlation. Engineering Structures, Vol. 82, 2015, pp. 82–92.
14. Hamrat M, Boulekbache B, Chemrouk M and Amziane S: Flexural cracking behavior of normal strength, high strength and high strength fiber concrete beams, using Digital Image Correlation technique. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 106, 2016, pp. 678–692.
15. Grosse C U and Ohtsu M: Acoustic Emission Testing, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2008.
16. Ohno K and Ohtsu M: Crack classification in concrete based on acoustic emission. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 34, 2010, pp. 2339-2346.
17. Fricker S and Vogel T: Site installation and testing of continuous acoustic monitoring. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 21, 2007, pp. 501-510.
18. Kencanawati N N, Iizasa S and Shigeishi M: Fracture process and reliability of concrete made from high grade recycled aggregate using acoustic emission technique under compression. Materials and Structures, Vol. 46, 2013, pp. 1441-1448.
19. Soulioti D, Barkoula N M, Paipetis A, Matikas T E, Shiotani T and Aggelis D G: Acoustic emission behavior of steel fibre reinforced concrete under bending. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 23, 2009, pp. 3532-3536.
20. Muralidhara S, Raghu Prasad B K, Hamid Eskandari and Karihaloo B L: Fracture process zone size and true fracture energy of concrete using acoustic emission. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 24, 2010, pp. 479-486.
21. Saliba J, Loukili A, Grondin F and Regoin J P: Identification of damage mechanisms in concrete under high level creep by the acoustic emission technique. Materials and Structures, Vol. 47, 2014, pp. 1041-1053.
22. NT BUILD 486: Aggregates: Size distribution. Approved 1998-11, NT BUILD.
23. Lindqvist J E and Johansson S: Aggregate shape and orientation in historic mortars. Proceedings, 11th Euroseminar Applied to Building Materials, Ed I Fernandes, 2007.
24. RILEM TC 187-SOC: Experimental determination of the stress-crack opening curve for concrete in tension: Final report, May 2007.
25. RILEM TC 162-TDF: Test and design methods for steel fibre reinforced concrete: Uni-axial tension test for steel fibre reinforced concrete. Materials and Structures, Vol. 34, 2001, pp. 3-6.
26. van Mier J G M: Concrete Fracture, a Multiscale Approach, CRC Press, 2012. Nordic Concrete Research – Publ. No. NCR 59 – ISSUE 2 / 2018 – Article 3, pp. 31-44