The aim of this paper is to create and present a model which suggests what and how Instagram tools should be used by a new travel influencer trademark in order to create intangible values to become a brand. The paper presents the results of research on travel influencer brands and also the results of a travel influencer trademark created by the Traveler’s Child. In addition, types of visual content are introduced in order to differentiate content posted by brands and trademark. The authors include recommendations for travel influencer trademark owners on how to process through branding stages, while using Instagram tools so that to create intangible values, which would allow a trademark to become a brand.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aaker D. (1996). Building Strong Brands. – New York: The Free Press.
2. Bennett S. (April 25th 2014). Social Media Business Statistics Facts Figures & Trends 2014. Adweek. Internet access: http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/social-business-trends-2014/498129 [accessed April 11 2017].
3. Bergström T. Bäckman L. (2013). Marketing and PR in Social Media. – Stockholm: Stockholms universitet.
4. Bevins C. D. (2014). A Visual Social Semiotic Analysis of Target’s Branding Using Instagram: Master’s Thesis. – Faculty of Liberty University School of Communication Studies.
5. Chafey D. (2017). Global Social Media Research Summary 2017. SmartInsights. Internet access: http://www.smartinsights.com/social-media-marketing/social-media-strategy/new-global-social-media-research/ [accessed May 1 2017].
6. Christou E. (2015). Branding Social Media in the Travel Industry // Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. Vol. 175 pp. 607–614. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1244
7. CIA World Factbook. CIA (2015). Internet access: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/download/download-2015/index.html
8. Donaire J. A. Camprubí R. Galí N. (2014). Tourist Clusters from Flickr Travel Photography. Faculty of Tourism – University of Girona.
9. Fan Bridge (2015). What is a Good Engagement Rate? (May 15th 2015). Internet access: https://www.fanbridge.com/blog/what-is-a-good-engagement-rate#.WPkSZGmGOUk [accessed April 11 2017].
10. Francalanci C. Hussain A. (2015). Discovering Social Influencers with Network Visualization: Evidence from the Tourism Domain. – Berlin Heidelberg: Springer - Verlag.
11. Freberg K. Graham K. McGaughey K Freverg L. A. (2011). Who are the Social Media Influencers? A Study of Public Perceptions of Personality // Public Relations Review. Vol. 37 pp. 90–92. Internet access: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/LauraFreberg/publication/251582746_Who_are_the_social_media_influencers_A_study_of_public_perceptions_of_personality/links/0a85e536857cdb90d6000000.pdf. doi:10.1016/j.pubrev.2010.11.001 [accessed March 22 2017].
12. Geller Z. (2013). Branding for Bloggers. – New York: Allworth Press.
13. Holt D. (2016). Branding in the Age of SoMedia. Harvard Business Review. 94(3) 40–50.
14. Jauncey J. [Skift] (November 19th 2015). Beautiful Destinations Founder at Skift Global Forum. [Video File]. Internet access: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1aX_BeVDxw [accessed May 2 2017].
15. Keller K. L. (2013). Strategic Brand Management: Building Measuring and Managing Brand Equity. 4th edition. – Harlow UK: Pearson Education Limited.
16. Klaus P. Maklan S. (2013). Towards a Better Measure of Customer Experience // International Journal of Market Research. Vol. 55 No. 2 pp. 227–246. 2017. Internet access: http://dx.doi.org/10.2501/IJMR-2013-021 [accessed March 9 2017].
17. Nielsen’s Global Trust in Advertising Survey. (October 4th 2012). Internet access: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2012/nielsen-global-consumers-trust-in-earned-advertising-grows.html [accessed April 11 2017].
18. Nistorescu T. Barbu C. Dumitriu R. (2013). Trademark vs Brand: A Conceptual Approach // Management & Marketing. 2013 Vol. 11 No. 1 pp. 29–37.
19. Sibley A. (2012). 19 reasons you should include visual content in your marketing data. Hubspot. Internet access: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/33423/19-Reasons-You-Should-Include-Visual-Content-in-Your-Marketing-Data.aspx [accessed April 11 2017].
20. Smith K. (March 7th 2016). Marketing: 96 Amazing Social Media Statistics and Facts. Brandwatch.com. Internet access: https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/96-amazing-social-media-statistics-and-facts-for-2016/ [accessed April 11 2017].
21. Sumarian N. Zahari M. S. Radzi S. M. Mohi Z. Hanafiah M. H. Bakhtiar M. F. Zainal A. (2014). Hospitality and Tourism: Synergizing Creativity and Innovation in Research. – Boca Raton: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group.
22. Xiang Z. Gretzel U. (2010). Role of Social Media in Online Travel Information Search // Tourism Management. Vol. 31 No. 2 pp. 179–188. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2009.02.016.