The article reviews research on the impact of different leadership styles on innovation management by setting out the organisational framework of the findings to date in four generic dimensions: people, measures, effects, and objectives. Using this framework, an overview has been provided of studies on directive and participative leadership, interactive leadership, charismatic leadership, transformational leadership, transactional and instrumental leadership, strategic and executive leadership, as well as shared and distributed leadership. There are strong signals that different stages and types of innovation raise different leadership requirements. Against this background, transformational leadership is not the only innovation management style and various leadership styles have their own, distinct ways of contributing to different types and stages of innovation. However, the determination of this allocation is still very incomplete and the answer to the question of how innovations should be managed remains unclear. The article also describes research needs and their practical implications.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Almaraz J. (1994) Quality management and the process of change. Journal of Organizational Change Management 7 6–14.
2. Amabile T.M. Conti R. Coon H. Lazenby J. & Herron M. (1996) Assessing the work environment for creativity. Academy of Management Journal 39 1154–1184.
3. Amabile T.M. Schatzel E.A. Moneta G.B. & Kramer S.J. (2004) Leader behaviors and the work environment for creativity: Perceived leader support. Leadership Quarterly 15 5–32.
4. Anderson N. de Drew Carsten K.W. & Nijstad B.A. (2004) The routinization of innovation research: a constructively critical review of the state-of-the-science. Journal of Organizational Behavior 25 147–173.
5. Avolio B.J. Waldman D.A. & Yammarino F.J. (1993) Leading in the 1990s: The four i's of transformational leadership. Journal of European Industrial Training 15 9–16.
6. Baregheh A. Rowley J. & Sambrook S. (2009) Towards a multidisciplinary definition of innovation. Management Decision 47 1323–1339.
7. Barry D. (1991) Managing the Bossless Team: lessons in distributed leadership. Organizational dynamics 20 31–47.
8. Bass B.M. (1995) Transformational leadership. Looking at other possible antecedents and consequences. Journal of Management Inquiry 4 293–297.
9. Bass B.M. (1990a) Bass & Stogdill's handbook of leadership: theory research and managerial applications 3. ed. edn New York: Free Press.
10. Bass B.M. (1990b) From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational dynamics 18 19–31.
11. Bass B.M. (1985) Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
12. Bass B.M. & Avolio B.J. (1994) Transformational leadership and organizational culture. International Journal of Public Administration 17 541–554.
13. Bel R. (2010) Leadership and innovation: Learning from the best. Global Business & Organizational Excellence 29 47–60.
14. Bossink B.A.G. (2007) Leadership for sustainable innovation. International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 6 135–149.
15. Bossink B.A.G. (2004) Effectiveness of innovation leadership styles: a manager's influence on ecological innovation in construction projects. Construction Innovation 4 211–228.
16. Burns J.M. (1979) Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
17. Burpitt W.J. & Bigoness W.J. (1997) Leadership and innovation among teams. Small Group Research 28 414.
18. Chemers M. (1997) An integrative theory of leadership. Mahwah NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
19. Daft R.L. (2001) The leadership experience. 2. ed. Fort Worth TX: Harcourt Publishers Ltd College Publishers.
20. Deluga R.J. (1990) The effects of transformational transactional and laissez faire leadership characteristics on subordinate influencing behavior. Basic & Applied Social Psychology 11 191–203.
21. Denti L. & Hemlin S. (2012) Leadership and innovation in organizations: A systematic review of factors that mediate or moderate the relationship. International Journal of Innovation Management 16 1–20.
22. Deschamps J. (2005) Different leadership skills for different innovation strategies. Strategy & Leadership 33 31–38.
23. Dirks K.T. & Ferrin D.L. (2002) Trust in Leadership: Meta-Analytic Findings and Implications for Research and Practice. Journal of Applied Psychology 87 611–628.
24. Dosi G. (1982) Technological paradigms and technological trajectories: a suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change. Research Policy 11 147–162.
25. Eisenbach R. Watson K. & Pillai R. (1999) Transformational leadership in the context of organizational change. Journal of Organizational Change Management 12 80–89.
26. Elenkov D.S. Judge W. & Wright P. (2005) Strategic leadership and executive innovation influence: An international multi-cluster comparative study. Strategic Management Journal 26 665–682.
27. Finkelstein S. & Hambrick D. (1996) Strategic leadership: top executives and their effects on organizations. Minneapolis: West Publishing Company.
28. Ford J.D. & Ford L.W. (1994) Logics of identity contradiction and attraction in change. Academy of Management Review 19 756–785.
29. Friedrich T.L. Mumford M.D. Vessey B. Beeler C.K. & Eubanks D.L. (2010)
30. Leading for innovation: Reevaluating leader influences on innovation with regard to innovation type and complexity. International Studies of Management & Organization 40 6–29.
31. Frischer J. (1993) Empowering management in new product development units. Journal of Product Innovation Management 10 393–401.
32. Gilley A. Dixon P. & Gilley J.W. (2008) Characteristics of leadership effectiveness: Implementing change and driving innovation in organizations. Human Resource Development Quarterly 19 153–169.
33. Gumusluoglu L. & Ilsev A. (2009) Transformational leadership and organizational innovation: The roles of internal and external support for innovation. Journal of Product Innovation Management 26 264–277.
34. Hackman J.R. (1990) Groups that work (and those that don't): creating conditions for effective teamwork. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
35. Harmsen H. Grunert K.G. & Declerck F. (2000) Why did I make that cheese? An empirically based framework for understanding what drives innovation creativity. R&D Management 30 151–166.
36. Harris A. (2007) Distributed leadership: conceptual confusion and empirical reticence. International Journal of Leadership in Education 10 315–325.
37. House R.J. & Aditya R.N. (1997) The social scientific study of leadership: Quo vadis? Journal of Management 23 409.
38. House R.J. Spangler W.D. & Woycke J. (1991) Personality and charisma in the U.S. presidency: A psychological theory of leader effectiveness. Administrative Science Quarterly 36 364–396.
39. Howell J.M. & Avolio B.J. (1993) Transformational leadership transactional leadership locus of control and support for innovation: Key predictors of consolidated-business-unit performance. Journal of Applied Psychology 78 891–902.
40. Howell J.M. & Higgins C.A. (1990) Champions of technological innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 35 317–341.
41. Ireland R.D. & Hitt M.A. (2005) Achieving and maintaining strategic competitiveness in the 21st century: The role of strategic leadership. Academy of Management Executive 19 63–77.
42. Jamaludin Z. Rahman N.M.N.A. Makhbul Z.K.M. & Idris F. (2011) Do transactional transformational and spiritual leadership styles distinct? A conceptual insight. Journal of Global Business & Economics 2 73–85.
43. James K. & Lahti K. (2011) Organizational vision and system influences on employee inspiration and organizational performance. Creativity and Innovation Management 20 108–120.
44. Jung D.I. Chow C. & Wu A. (2003) The role of transformational leadership in enhancing organizational innovation: Hypotheses and some preliminary findings. Leadership Quarterly 14 525.
45. Kahai S.S. Sosik J.J. & Avolio B.J. (2003) Effects of leadership style anonymity and rewards on creativity-relevant processes and outcomes in an electronic meeting system context. Leadership Quarterly 14 499.
46. Kanter R.M. (1982) The middle manager as innovator. Harvard business review 60 95–105.
47. Keller R.T. (1992) Transformational leadership and the performance of research and development project groups. Engineering Management Review 36 82–91.
48. Kelley D. & Lee H. (2010) Managing innovation champions: The impact of project characteristics on the direct manager role. Journal of Product Innovation Management 27 1007–1019.
49. Lornikowa N.M. Pearsall M.J. & Sims Jr. H.P. (2013) Examining the differentia longitudinal performance of directive versus empowering leadership in teams. Acadamy of Management Journal 56 573–596.
50. Makri M. & Scandura T.A. (2010) Exploring the effects of creative CEO leadership on innovation in high-technology firms. The Leadership Quarterly 21 75–88.
51. Markham S.K. (1998) A Longitudinal Examination of How Champions Influence Others to Support Their Projects. Journal of Product Innovation Management 15 490–504.
52. McColl-Kennedy J. & Anderson R.D. (2002) Impact of leadership style and emotions on subordinate performance. Leadership Quarterly 13 545–559.
53. Mehra A. Smith B.R. Dixon A.L. & Robertson B. (2006) Distributed leadership in teams: The network of leadership perceptions and team performance. Leadership Quarterly 17 232–245.
54. Michaelis B. Stegmaier R. & Sonntag K. (2009) Affective commitment to change and innovation implementation behavior: The role of charismatic leadership and employees' trust in top management. Journal of Change Management 9 399–417.
55. Muethel M. & Hoegl M. (2010) Cultural and societal influences on shared leadership in globally dispersed teams. Journal of International Management 16 234–246.
56. Mumford M.D. Scott G.M. Gaddis B. & Strange J.M. (2002) Leading creative people: Orchestrating expertise and relationships. Leadership Quarterly 13 705–750.
57. Nadler D.A. & Tushman M.L. (1990) Beyond the charismatic leader: Leadership and organizational change. California Management Review 32 77–97.
58. Nam C.H. & Tatum C.B. (1989) Toward understanding of product innovation process in construction. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 115 517–534.
59. Nijstad B.A. & de Dreu C.K.W. (2002) Creativity and group innovation. Applied Psychology: An International Review 51 400–406.
60. Nikolaou I. Gouras A. Vakola M. & Bourantis D. (2007) Selecting change agents: Exploring traits and skills in a simulated environment. Journal of Change Management 7 291–313.
61. Nohe C Michaelis B. Menges J. Zhang Z. & Sonntag K. (2013) Charisma and organizational change: A multilevel study of perceived charisma commitment to change and team performance. Leadership Quarterly 24 378–389.
62. Norrgren F. & Schaller J. (1999) Leadership Style: Its Impact on Cross-Functional Product Development. Journal of Product Innovation Management 16 377–384.
63. Olejniczak A. Tomorad D. (2015) Selected indicators for evaluating the effectiveness of marketing communication Marketing Instytucji Naukowych i Badawczych Wydawnictwa Naukowe Instytutu Lotnictwa Vol. 16 Issue 2 Warszawa 19–32.
64. Paulsen N Callan V.J. Ayoko O. & Saunders D. (2013) Transformational leadership and innovation in an R&D organization experiencing major change. Journal of Organizational Change Management 26 595–610.
65. Paulsen N. Maldonado D. Callan V.J. & Ayoko O. (2009) Charismatic leadership change and innovation in an R&D organization. Journal of Organizational Change Management 22 511–523.
66. Pawar B.S. & Eastman K.K. (1997) The nature and implications of contextual influences on transformational leadership: A conceptual examination. Academy of Management Review 22 80–109.
67. Pearce C.L. & Manz C.C. (2005) The new silver bullets of leadership: The importance of self- and shared leadership in knowledge work. Organizational Dynamics 34 130–140.
68. Pearce C.L. Manz C.C. & Sims JR (2009) Where do I go from here?: Is shared leadership the key to team success? Organizational Dynamics 38 234–238.
69. Pieterse A.N. van Knippenberg D. Schippers M. & Stam D. (2010) Transformational and transactional leadership and innovative behavior: The moderating role of psychological empowerment. Journal of Organizational Behavior 31 609–623.
70. Rickards T. & Moger S. (2006) Creative leaders: A decade of contributions from Creativity and Innovation Management Journal. Creativity & Innovation Management 15 4–18.
71. Rosener J.B. (1990) Ways women lead. Harvard Business Review 68 119–125.
72. Schumpeter J.A. (1934) The theory of economic development: an inquiry into profits capital credit interest and the business cycle. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press.
73. Shamir B. House R.J. & Arthur M.B. (1993) The motivational effects of charismatic leadership: A self-concept based theory. Organization Science 4 577–594.
74. Sillince J.A.A. (1994) A management strategy for innovation and organizational design: the case of MRP2/JIT production management systems. Behavior & Information Techology 13 216–227.
75. Smith B.N. Montagno R.V. & Kuzmenko T.N. (2004) Transformational and servant leadership: Content and contextual comparisons Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies 10 80–91.
76. Somech A. (2006) The effects of leadership style and team process on performance and innovation in functionally heterogeneous teams. Journal of Management 32 132–157.
77. Sternberg R.J. Kaufman J.C. & Pretz J.E. (2004) A propulsion model of creative leadership. Creativity & Innovation Management 13 145–153.
78. Stoker J.I. Looise J.C. Fisscher O.A.M. & de Jong R.D. (2001) Leadership and innovation: relations between leadership individual characteristics and the functioning of R&D teams. International Journal of Human Resource Management 12 1141–1151.
79. Świeczak W. Łukowski W. (2016) Lead generation strategy as a multichannel mechanism of growth of a modern enterprise. Marketing Instytucji Naukowych i Badawczych Wydawnictwa NaukoI Instytutu Lotnictwa Vol. 21 Issue 3 Warszawa 105–140.
80. Tracey J.B. & Hinkin T.R. (1998) Transformational leadership or effective managerial practice? Group & Organization Management 23 220–236.
81. Weber M. 1978 Economics and society. Berkley and Los Angeles (CA): University of California Press.
82. Wiśniowski W. (2013) Badania i świadczenie usług na światowym rynku badań Marketing Instytucji Naukowych i Badawczych Wydawnictwa Naukowe Instytutu Lotnictwa Vol. 7 Issue 1 Warszawa 1–14.
83. Wong S.K.S. (2013) The role of management involvement in innovation. Management Decision 51 709–729.
84. Yan J. (2011) An empirical examination of the interactive effects of goal orientation participative leadership and task conflict on innovation in small business. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship 16 393–408.
85. Yukl G. (1989) Managerial Leadership: A review of theory and research. Journal of Management 15 251–289.