Craft tourism is attracting many domestic and foreign tourists. In recent years in Vietnam, craft villages have exploited their potentials in tourism industry. For many different causes, tourism activities have yet reached expectations and their potentials for tourism development. This paper is to review their currents, tourism potentials and limitations and then formulate recommendations to the tourism development in Phu Quoc island. The data for this paper are from two sources. Secondary data were collected from the vast literature and journals. Primary data were from interviews with village owners, related authorities, tourists, tourism corporate, etc. and results serve as guidelines to develop the tourism industry and management.
1. Ahmad A. (2005), Tourism Village: A Conceptual Approach. Asia-Europe Seminar on Cultural Heritage, Man and Tourism in Hanoi - Vietnam. May 2001.
2. General Statistics Offi ce of Vietnam (GSO) (2009), General view about economic and administration bodies in Vietnam 2007. Hanoi, Vietnam.
3. General Statistics Offi ce of Vietnam (GSO) (2012), Results of 2011 Rural, agricultural and fi shery census. Hanoi, Vietnam.
4. Hainsworth D. (2009), Community tourism and broad-based local development: The case of Doi village, Thua Thien Hue province, Vietnam. [in:] J. Bao (Ed.), Tourism and community development - Asian practices (2nd ed., pp. 113-126). Madrid, Spain: World Tourism Organization (WTO).
5. Hien N. V. (2012), Sustainable development of traditional villages in Vietnam for global market integration. Development and Integrations News, UEF, 4 (14), pp. 31-42.
6. http://phuquocisland.gov.vn/vi-vn/chinhquyen/gioithieu/tongquanvephuquoc.aspx. Accessed at 21.9. 2016
7. http://www.nuocmamphuquoc.org/index.php. Accessed at 21.9. 2016
8. http://www.phuquocislandguide.com/vn/cho-phu-quoc/. Accessed at 20.9. 2016
9. http://www.tuyengiao.vn/Home/khoagiao/75534/Lang-nghe-Viet-Nam-Truyen-thong-thuc-trang-va-giai-phap-phat-trien-trong-thoi-kyhoi-nhap. Accessed at 25.9. 2016
10. http://www.vaas.org.vn/hoi-sinh-tieu-phu-quoc-a6888.html. Accessed at 1.10. 2016
11. http://www.nuocmamphuquoc.info/2014/04/gin-giu-truyen-thongnuoc-mam-phu-quoc.html. Accessed at 21.10. 2016
12. http://vhnthcm.edu.vn/nhung-lang-nghe-truyen-thong-noi-tieng-oviet-nam/ Accessed at 21.10.2016.
13. Institute for Tourism Development Research - ITDR (2012). Vietnam Tourism - The current and solutions. Special Report, Ha Noi, Vietnam
14. Keown C. F. (1989), A model of tourists’ propensity to buy: The case of Japanese visitors to Hawaii. Journal of Travel Research, 27(3), 31-34.
15. Kerr. I. (1995), Building the railways of the Raj. Oxford: Oxford University Press
16. Kim, S. & Littrell, M. (2001), Souvenir Buying Intentions for Self versus Others. Annals of Tourism Research, 28 (3), pp. 638-657.
17. Konstadakopulos D. (2008), Environmental and Resource Degradation Associated with Small-Scale Enterprise Clusters in the Red River Delta of Northern Vietnam. Geographical Research, 46 (1), p. 51.
18. Lee T. H., Crompton J. (1992), Measuring novelty seeking in tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 19(4), pp. 732-751.
19. Luong P. T (2006), Craft Village-based Tourism: Current Situation and Development Orientation in Vietnam. APEC/SME Seminar on ‘Support for Local and Cottage Industries’ in Hanoi September.
20. Mairna M. (2011), Potential of sustaining handicrafts as a tourism product in Jordan. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(2), 145-152.
21. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD). (2006), Guidance for the implementation of Decree No. 66/2006/ND-CP dated 07/7/2006 of the Government on rural development. Hanoi: Vietnam.
22. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE). (2008). National environmental assessment - Environment of Vietnam handicraft villages. Hanoi, Vietnam.
23. Mitchell J. (2012), Value chain approaches to assessing the impact of tourism on low-income households in developing countries. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 20 (3), pp. 457-475.
24. Ngoc L. B. (2012), Craft and design in Vietnam 2012. Hanoi, Vietnam: Vietnam handicraft exporters association (Vietcraft). Accessed at 06.10.2016 http://www.un.org.vn/en/publications/doc_details/323-craft-a-design-invietnam-2012.html.
25. Reisinger Y., Turner L. W. (2002), Cultural differences between Asian tourist markets and Australian hosts, Part 1. Journal of Travel Research, 40 (3), pp. 295-315.
26. Scheyvens R., Russell M. (2012), Tourism and poverty alleviation in Fiji: Comparing the impacts of small- and large-scale tourism enterprises. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 20 (3), pp. 417-436.
27. Scheyvens R., Russell M. (2012), Tourism, Land Tenure and Poverty alleviation in Fiji. Tourism Geographies, 14 (1), pp. 1-25.
28. Suzuki N. (2006), Effective Tourism Development through Traditional Craft Promotion-Japanese Experiences. First International Congress on Tourism and Traditional Craft & Associated Activities. Riyadh, KSA November.
29. Swanson K. K., Timothy D. J. (2012), Souvenirs: Icons of meaning, commercialization and commoditization. Tourism Management, 33 (3), pp. 489-499.
30. Tosun C, Pinar S., Timothy D., Allan F. (2007), Tourist shopping Experiences and Satisfaction. International Journal of Tourism Research, 9, pp. 87-102.
31. Trau M. A. (2012), Beyond pro-poor tourism: (Re) Interpreting tourismbased approaches to poverty alleviation in Vanuatu. Tourism Planning & Development, 9 (2), pp. 149-164.
32. Tsuji K., Van, D. P. (2002), Structural changes and sustainable development of traditional handicraft villages in the Kinh Bac area, Northern Vietnam. Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 47 (1), pp. 205-219.
33. Vu. N (2009), Applicability of the OVOP movement in rural tourism development - the case of craft tourism in Vietnam. International Journal of Social and Cultural Studies, 2, pp. 93-112.
34. Vuong B. V. (2002), Traditional Handicraft Villages in Vietnam (In Vietnamese: Lang Nghe Thu Cong Truyen thong Vietnam). Culture - Ethnics publishing house. Ha Noi. Vietnam.
35. World Tourism Organization (2008). UNWTO Tourism Highlights, Edition 2008. Accessed at 06.01.2016 http://tourlib.net/wto/WTO_highlights_2008.pdf.