The paper aims to present results of the study on business process maturity in relation to organisational performance. A two-phase methodology, based on literature review and survey was used. The literature is a source of knowledge about business process maturity and organisational performance, whereas the research on process maturity vs organisational performance in Polish Enterprises provides findings based on 84 surveyed companies. The main areas of the research covered: identification and analysis of maturity related variables and identification of organisational performance perspectives and its relation to process maturity. The study shows that there is a significant positive relation between process maturity and organisational performance. Although there are research on such relation available, they are scarce and have some significant limitations in terms of research sample or the scope of maturity or organisational performance covered. This publication is part of a project funded by the National Science Centre awarded by decision number DEC-2011/01/D/HS4/04070.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Adler P. McGarry F. Irion-Talbot W. Binney D. (2005) Enabling process discipline: lessons from the journey to CMM Level 5 “MISQ Executive” Vol. 4 Iss. 1 pp. 215-227.
2. Antoniol G. Gradara S. Venturi G. (2004) Methodological issues in a CMM Level 4 implementation. Software Process “Improvement and Practice” Vol. 9 Iss. 1 pp. 33-50.
3. Baird K. Hu K.J. Reeve R. (2011) The relationships between organisational culture total quality management practices and operational performance “International Journal of Operations & Production Management” Vol. 31 Iss. 7 pp. 789-814.
4. Bandara W. Indulska M. Chong S. Sadiq S. (2007) Major issues in business process management: An expert perspective “BPTrends” Vol. 3 Iss. 10 pp. 1–8.
5. Becker J. Knackstedt R. Pöppelbuß J. (2009) Developing maturity models for IT management – a procedure model and its application “Business and Information Systems Engineering” Vol. 1 Iss. 3 pp. 213-22.
6. Burlton R.T. (2001) Business process management: Profiting from process Sams Indianapolis.
7. Cousins P. D. Menguc B. (2006) The implications of socialization and integration in supply chain management “Journal of Operations Management” Vol. 24 Iss. 4 pp. 604-620.
8. Crabtree A. D. DeBusk G. K. (2008) The effects of adopting the balanced scorecard on shareholder returns “Advances in Accounting” Vol. 24 Iss. 1 pp. 8–15.
9. Crosby P. (1979) Quality is free McGraw-Hill New York.
10. Curtis B. Alden J. (2007). Maturity Model du Jour: A Recipe for Side Dishes BPTrends http://www.bptrends.com/publicationfiles/10-07-COL-maturitymodeldujour-CurtisAlden-final.pdf (05.05.2013 - access date).
11. Davenport T.H. (1993) Process innovation: Reengineering work through information technology Harvard Business School Press Boston.
12. Dearborn D.C. Simon H.A. (1958) Selective perception: a note on the departmental identification of executives “Sociometry” Vol. 21 Iss. 3 pp. 140-104.
13. Gottschalk P. (2009) Maturity levels for interoperability in digital government “Government Information Quarterly” Vol. 26 No. 1 pp. 75-81.
14. Govindarajan V. Fisher J. (1990) Strategy control systems and ressource sharing: Effects on business-unit performance “Academy of Management Journal” Vol. 33 Iss. 2 pp. 259–285.
15. Guha S. Kettinger W. J. (1993) Business process reengineering “Information Systems Management” Vol. 10 Iss. 3 pp. 13-22.
16. Hammer M. (2007) The Process Audit “Harvard Business Review” Vol. 85 Iss. 4 pp. 111-123.
17. Harmon P. Wolf C. (2014) The State of Business Process Management BPTrends http://www.bptrends.com/bpt/wp-content/uploads/BPTrends-State-of-BPM-Survey-Report.pdf (12.04.2014 - access date).
18. Hendricks K. B. Singhal V. R. Stratman J. K. (2007) The impact of enterprise systems on corporate performance: A study of ERP SCM and CRM system implementations “Journal of Operations Management” Vol. 25 Iss. 2 pp. 65-82.
19. Herbsleb J. Zubrow D. Goldenson D. Hayes W. Paulk M. (1997) Software quality and the capability maturity model “ACM” Vol. 40 Iss. 6 pp. 30-40.
20. Humphrey W.S. (1987) Characterizing the software process: A maturity framework Carnegie Mellon University/Software Engineering Institute Pittsburgh.
21. Hyvönen J. (2007) Strategy performance measurement techniques and information technology of the firm and their links to organisational performance “Management Accounting Research” Vol. 18 Iss. 3 pp. 343–366.
22. Ittner C. D. (2008) Does measuring intangibles for management purposes improve performance?: A review of the evidence “Accounting & Business Research” Vol. 38 Iss. 3 pp. 261–272.
23. Jiang J.J. Klein G. Hwang H.G. Huang J. Hung S.Y. (2003) An exploration of the relation between software development process maturity and project performance “Information and Management” Vol. 41 Iss. 3 pp. 279-288.
24. Kalinowski T.B. (2012) A process management implementation model vs. the maturity of processes in Polish companies Proceedings from 18th IGWT Symposium - Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Future Rome.
25. Kaynak H. (2003) The relationship between total quality management practices and their effects on firm performance “Journal of Operations Management” Vol. 21 Iss. 4 pp. 405–435 DOI: 10.1016/S0272-6963(03)00004-4.
26. Kazanjian R.K. Drazin R. (1989) An empirical test of a stage of growth progression model “Management Science” Vol. 35 Iss. 12 pp. 1489-1503.
27. Kihn L.A. (2010) Performance outcomes in empirical management accounting research. Recent developments and implications for future research “International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management” Vol. 59 Iss. 5 pp. 468–492.
28. Lee R. Dale B. (1998) Business process management: A review and evaluation “Business Process Management Journal” Vol. 4 Iss. 3 pp.214-225.
29. Madu C.N. (1998) An empirical assessment of quality: research considerations “International Journal of Quality Science” Vol. 3 Iss. 4 pp. 348-355.
30. Martensen A. Dahlgaard J.J. Park-Dahlgaard S.M. and Grønholdt L. (2007) Measuring and diagnosing innovation excellence – simple contra advanced approaches: a Danish study “Measuring Business Excellence” Vol. 11 Iss. 4 pp. 51-65 DOI: 10.1108/13683040710837928.
31. McCormack K. P. Johnson W. C. (2001) Business process orientation – Gaining the e-business competitive advantage St. Lucie Press Florida.
32. McCormack K. Willems J. van den Bergh J. Deschoolmeester D. Willaert P. Stemberger M.I. Skrinjar R. Trkman P. Ladeira M.B. Valadares de Oliveira M.P. Vuksic V.B. Vlahovic N. (2009) A global investigation of key turning points in business process maturity “Business Process Management Journal” Vol. 15 No. 5 pp. 792-815.
33. Nolan R. (1973) Managing the crisis in data processing “Harvard Business Review” Vol. 57 Iss. 2 pp. 115–126.
34. Nowosielski S. (2012) Dojrzałość procesowa a wyniki ekonomiczne organizacji “Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wroclawiu” No. 264 pp. 354-369.
35. Röglinger M. Pöppelbuß J. Becker J. (2012) Maturity models in business process management “Business Process Management Journal” Vol. 18 Iss. 2 pp.328-346.
36. Rosemann M. De Bruin T. (2005) Application of a Holistic Model for Determining BPM Maturity BPTrends http://www.bptrends.com/publicationfiles/02-05%20WP%20Application%20of%20a%20Holistic%20Model-%20Rosemann-Bruin%20-%E2%80%A6.pdf (11.042012 – access date).
37. Rosemann M. vom Brocke J. (2015) The six core elements of business process management [in:] vom Brocke J. Rosemann M. (ed.) Handbook on Business Process Management Vol. 1 Springer New York.
38. Rummler G.A. Brache A.P. (1990) Improving Performance: How to Manage the White Space on the Organisation Chart Jossey-Bass San Francisco.
39. Škrinjar R. Bosilj-Vukšić V. Indihar-Štemberger M. (2008) The impact of business process orientation on financial and non-financial performance “Business Process Management Journal” Vol. 14 Iss. 5 pp. 738-754.
40. Straub D.W. Boudreau M.-C. Gefen D. (2004) Validation guidelines for is positivist research “Communications of the Association for Information Systems” Vol. 13 Iss. 24 pp. 380–427.
41. Tangen S. (2003) An overview of frequently used performance measures “Work Study” Vol. 52 Iss. 7 pp. 347–354.
42. Ukko J. (2009) Managing through measurement: A framework for successful operative level performance measurement PhD thesis at the Lappeenranta University of Technology.
43. Venkatraman N. Grant J.H. (1986) Construct measurement in organisational strategy research: a critique and proposal “Academy of Management Review” Vol. 11 Iss. 1 pp. 71-87.
44. Wendler R. (2012) The maturity of maturity model research: a systematic mapping study “Information and Software Technology” Vol. 54 Iss. 12 pp. 1317–1339.