At the beginning of the 21st century, we continuously observe shifts in supply chains configurations caused by differentiate trends in turbulent environment. The remarkable number of companies restructure supply chains in search for competitiveness and innovation on global market. On the one hand, some labour-intensive industries are moving out of China to the next low-cost countries, on the other hand, some high-tech and innovative manufacturing companies are returning to the developed countries. The scientific purpose of the article is to set out the potential impact of reshoring on value creation in supply chains and to outline research opportunities in this field. Literature review and results of the questionnaire-survey on the Total Cost of Acquisition analysis are guidelines for considerations. Based on the analysis of reshoring drivers and benefits, it is clear that this strategy might have positive influence on the value creation in international and global supply chains management considering three dimensions of the value: economic, social and environmental from perspective of different stakeholders.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ancarani A. Di Mauro C. Fratocchi L. & Orzes G. (2015) Prior to reshoring: A duration analysis of foreign manufacturing „International Journal of Production Economics” 169 141-155.
2. Arlbjørn J.S. Mikkelsen O.S. (2014) Backshoring manufacturing: Notes on an important but under-researched theme „Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management” 20 60-62.
3. A.T. Kearney (2015) U.S. Reshoring: Over Before It Began? Website: https://www.atkearney.com/pl/operations/ideas-insights/manufacturing-reshoring (12.03.2016 – access date).
4. Bals L. Daum A. Tate W. (2015) From Offshoring to Rightshoring: Focus on the Backshoring Phenomenon „AIB Insights” 15(4) 3-6.
5. Blecker T. Gemuenden H.G. (2006) Wertschoepfungsnetzwerke Erich Schmidt Verlag Berlin.
6. Carter C.R. Rogers D.S. (2008) A framework of sustainable supply chain management: moving toward new theory „International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management” 38(5) 360-387.
7. Cranfield University (2015). An analysis of the UK’s Capability to Reshore Production. National Manufacturing Debate 20th May. Website: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/~/media/Files/Files-web-migration/UKManufacturingReshoringWhitepaper2015.ashx?la=en (05.03.2016 – access date).
8. Cushman & Wakefield (2015) Where in the World? Manufacturing Index 2015. Website: http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/~/media/global-reports/Where%20In%20The%20World_Manufacturing%20Index_2015.pdf (01.03.2016 – access date).
9. Deligio T. (2014) The Truth About Reshoring „Plastics Technology” March 2014 26-29.
10. Deloitte (2014) Deloitte’s 2014 Global Outsourcing and Insourcing Survey 2014 and beyond. Website: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/strategy/us-2014-global-outsourcing-insourcing-survey-report-123114.pdf (06.03.2016 – access date).
11. Elkington J. (1998) Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of the 21st Century Business New Society Publishers Stoney Creek.
12. Ellram L.M. Tate W.L. Petersen K.J. (2013) Offshoring and reshoring: an update on the manufacturing location decision „Journal of Supply Chain Management” April 14-20.
13. Fratocchi L. Di Mauro C. Barbieri P. Nassimbeni G. Zanoni A. (2014) When manufacturing moves back: Concepts and questions „Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management” 20 54-59.
14. Gray J.V. Skowronski K. Esenduran G. Rungtusanatham M.J. (2013) The reshoring phenomenon: what supply chain academics ought to know and should do „Journal of Supply Chain Management” April 27-31.
15. Hong E. Holweg M. (2009) Evaluating the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Global Sourcing Strategies: A Conceptual Note. Website: http://www.innovation.jbs.cam.ac.uk/publications/downloads/hong_evaluating.pdf (10.03.2016 – access date).
16. International Economic Development Council (2015) Defining the reshoring discussion. Reshoring American Jobs. Website: http://www.iedconline.org/clientuploads/Downloads/Reshoring/Reshoring_American_Jobs.pdf (10.03.2016 – access date).
17. Kamauff J. Spekman R. (2008) The LCCS success factors „Supply Chain Management Review” January-February 14-21.
18. Kearney A.T. (2015) U.S. Reshoring: Over Before It Began? Website: https://www.atkearney.com/pl/operations/ideas-insights/manufacturing-reshoring (12.03.2016 – access date).
19. Kinkel S. (2014) Future and impact of backshoring – some conclusions from 15 years of research on German practices „Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management” 20 63-65.
20. Lambert D.G. (2001) The supply chain management and logistics controversy in: A.M. Brewer K.J. Button D.A. Hensher (Eds.) Handbook of logistics and supply chain management Elsevier Oxford.
21. Lee H. (2010) Don’t Tweak Your Supply Chain – Rethink It End to End „Harvard Business Review” October 63-69.
22. Larsen M.M. (2015) Failing to estimate the costs of offshoring: A study on process performance „International Business Review” 1-12.
24. Mueller J. Dagmar A. Hautz J. Hutter K. Matzler K. Raich M. (2011) Differences in corporate environmentalism — A comparative analysis of leading U.S. and German companies „European Journal of International Management” 5 122–148.
25. Nash-Hoff M. (2011) Re-shoring initiative – part II. Websiet: www.metalfinishing.com (25.01.2016 – access date).
26. Ocicka B. (2012) Zmiany w łańcuchach dostaw w świetle rozwoju zaopatrzenia z rynków niskokosztowych OW SGH Warszawa.
27. Render B. (2012) OM in the News: Why GE Decided to Reshore Appliance Production. Website: https://heizerrenderom.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/om-in-the-news-why-ge-decided-to-reshore-appliance-production/ (25.01.2016 - access date).
29. Rutkowski K. (red.) (2009) Best Practices in Logistics and Supply Chain Management. The Case of Poland OW SGH Warszawa.
30. Shih W.C. (2014) What It Takes to Reshore Manufacturing Successfully „MIT Sloan Management Review” August 7 1-8.
31. Stevens J. (2016) The benefits of reshoring manufacturing: an overview. Website: http://www.reshorenow.org/blog/the-benefits-of-reshoringmanufacturing-an-overview/ (16.02.2016 – access date).
32. Van den Bossche P. Gupta P. Gutierez H. Gupta A. (2014) Solving the Reshoring Dilemma „Supply Chain Management Review” January-February 26-33.
33. Vitasek K. Snelgrove T. Evans D. Tate W. Keith B. Holliman S. Unpacking Best Value. Understanding and Embracing Value Based Approaches for Procurement. Website: http://www.vestedway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TCO-Best-Value-White-Paper.pdf (15.02.2016-access date).
34. Young R.R. Swan P.F. Thomchick E.A. Ruamsook K. (2009) Extending landed cost models to improve offshore sourcing decisions „International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management” 39 (4) 320-335.