Diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis was diagnosed in a 6-year-old, indoor, neutered female domestic European shorthair cat. Marked pruritus located mainly on the head and neck was noticed in the cat and in this area the animal had developed alopecia, crusts, and plaques. Histologically, monomorphic mast cells were found in the superficial dermis and around the hair follicles. Mast cells were well differentiated, with central nuclei and granular cytoplasm, with metachromatic granules which stained positively with Toluidine blue stain. The animal was successfully treated with oclacitinib at a dose of 1 mg/kg, twice a day per os.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Liska W.D. MacEwen EG. Zaki F.A. Garvey M. (1979). Feline systemic mastocytosis: A review and results of splenectomy in seven cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 15 589-597. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1979.tb00375.x
2. Gross T. Ihrke P. Walder E. (2005). Mast cell tumors. In: Skin diseases of the dog and cat: Clinical and histopathologic diagnosis. (pp. 853-865). Oxford: Blackwell Science. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470752487
3. Brown C.A. Chalmers S.A. (1990). Diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis in a cat. Vet Pathol. 27 366-369. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098589002700511 PMid:2238391
4. Tomich L. M. Pieper J. B. (2019). Urticaria pigmentosa-like skin disease in a domestic shorthair cat. J. Feline Med Surg Open Reports. 5(1): 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/2055116918821197 PMid:30671254 PMCid:PMC6327337
5. Frank R.K. Galvan B.A. Schoell A.R. (2014). Use of oclacitinib (Apoquel Zoetis) for treatment of cutaneous mastocytosis in a cat. Vet Dermatol. 25 153. https://doi.org/10.1111/vde.12131
6. Ngo J Morren MA Bodemer C Heimann M Fontaine J. (2019). Feline maculopapular cutaneous mastocytosis: a retrospective study of 13 cases and proposal for a new classification. J Feline Med Surg. 21 394-404. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X18776141 PMid:29860905
7. Colombo S. Scarampella F. Ordeix L. Roccabianca P. (2012). Dermatophytosis and papular eosinophilic/mastocytic dermatitis (urticaria pigmentosa-like dermatitis) in three Devon Rex cats. J Feline Med Surg. 14 498-502. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X12440761 PMid:22736683