The illegal poisoning of dogs and other domestic and wild animals presents a worldwide problem causing animal suffering and R. Macedonia is not an exeption. The goal of this study is to make a comparison of the results from the histopathological examination conducted among poisoned dogs in the Republic of Macedonia. Morphological and histopathological changes in poisoned dogs were investigated for a period of 10 years. The examination was performed on 31 dogs, 13 of which were home kept, 7 were street dogs and 11 of unknown origin. The most significant necropsy findings concerned the inflammatory and necrotic processes of the gastrointestinal tract. The histopathological changes were mainly located in the kidneys, stomach, intestines and the lungs.
2. Robertson, I.D., Leggoe, M., Dorling, P.R., Shaw, S.E., Clark, W.T. (1992). A retrospective study of poisoning cases in dogs and cats: comparisons between a rural and an urban practice. Aust. Vet. J. 69 (8): 194-195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1992.tb07522.x PMid:1530556
4. Hornfeldt, C.S., Murphy, M.J. (1997). Poisonings of animals: the 1993-1994 report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 39 (6): 361-365. PMid:9397507
5. Gwak, H.S., Noh, E.S., Lee, N.Z., Chun, I.K. (2005). Determination of amosulalolin human plasma using solid-phase extraction combined with liquid chromatography and ultraviolet detection. J. Chromatogr. B. 818, 109-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2004.06.029 PMid:15734149
6. Goyer R. A., Rhyne B. C. (1973). Pathological effects of lead. Int Rev Exp Pathol. 12, 1-77. PMid:4349348
7. Pașca, S.A., Solcan, Gh., Șindilar, E.V., Lazăr, M. (2012). Clinical and morphopathological aspects in anti-freeze intoxication of dogs. Scientific works. C Series. Veterinary Medicine 58 (4): 296-305.
12. Theerayuth, K., Acharawan, L., Piyawan, C., Supatra, S. (2011). Retrospective histopathological study of hemorrhagic lesion of coumarin intoxication in dogs. Thai J Vet Med. 41 (2): 239-244.
13. Jubb K.V.F., Kennedy P.C., Palmer N. (2007). Pathology of domestic animals. In: G. Maxie (Ed), New York: Academic Press. PMCid:PMC1906653
14. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. (2009). Code of practice for the welfare of dogs. Crown copyright. London
15. Animal welfare and protection law. Official Journal of R.M. 149 (October 13, 2014)