The illegal poisoning of dogs and other domestic and wild animals presents a worldwide problem causing animal suffering and R. Macedonia is not an exeption. The goal of this study is to make a comparison of the results from the histopathological examination conducted among poisoned dogs in the Republic of Macedonia. Morphological and histopathological changes in poisoned dogs were investigated for a period of 10 years. The examination was performed on 31 dogs, 13 of which were home kept, 7 were street dogs and 11 of unknown origin. The most significant necropsy findings concerned the inflammatory and necrotic processes of the gastrointestinal tract. The histopathological changes were mainly located in the kidneys, stomach, intestines and the lungs.
1. Ladislav, N., Jan, M., Alena, H., Petr, O., Kamil, K., Oldřich, V., Václav, R., Petr, C. (2011). Incidental poisoning of animals by carbamates in the Czech Republic. J Appl Biomed. 9, 157–161. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10136-009-0035-3
2. Robertson, I.D., Leggoe, M., Dorling, P.R., Shaw, S.E., Clark, W.T. (1992). A retrospective study of poisoning cases in dogs and cats: comparisons between a rural and an urban practice. Aust. Vet. J. 69 (8): 194-195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1992.tb07522.x PMid:1530556
3. Yingzi, W., Paul, K., Albert, H., Inge, H., Wolf-Dieter, R. (2007). Pesticide poisoning in domestic animals and livestock in Austria: a 6 years retrospective study. Forensic Sci. Int. 169, 157–160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.08.008 PMid:16997525
4. Hornfeldt, C.S., Murphy, M.J. (1997). Poisonings of animals: the 1993–1994 report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 39 (6): 361–365. PMid:9397507
5. Gwak, H.S., Noh, E.S., Lee, N.Z., Chun, I.K. (2005). Determination of amosulalolin human plasma using solid-phase extraction combined with liquid chromatography and ultraviolet detection. J. Chromatogr. B. 818, 109–113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2004.06.029 PMid:15734149
6. Goyer R. A., Rhyne B. C. (1973). Pathological effects of lead. Int Rev Exp Pathol. 12, 1-77. PMid:4349348
7. Pașca, S.A., Solcan, Gh., Șindilar, E.V., Lazăr, M. (2012). Clinical and morphopathological aspects in anti-freeze intoxication of dogs. Scientific works. C Series. Veterinary Medicine 58 (4): 296-305.