The addition of prostaglandin F2α (PGF2α) to boar semen prior to insemination improves the conception and farrowing rates in sows. It is accepted that this is due to increased myometrial contractility, which improves the spermatozoa movement. However, there are limited data about the effect of the exogenous PGF2α analogs on sperm motility parameters and morphology. The aim of the current study was to define if there are changes in motility, morphology and kinematic parameters of spermatozoa on 1st and 24th hour after addition of PGF2α analogue to extended boar semen. A total of 18 ejaculates, obtained from clinically healthy boars were diluted 1:3 in semen extender, and each of them was separate into four aliquots, 50 ml each. PGF2α was added to 3 of them in concentrations of 6, 12 and 25 μg/ml, and the fourth served as untreated control. The motility, kinematic parameters and morphology of spermatozoa were evaluated on 1st and 24th hours after addition of PGF2α. There was no significant difference in sperm morphology, total and progressive motility between the untreated and treated groups. There was however a significant decrease in the rapid velocity and some of the kinematic parameters (VCL, VSL and VAP) in the group treated with 25 μg/ml compared to the control at the 1st hour after PGF2α treatment, which (except for the rapid velocity) persisted to the 24th hour. The results indicate that addition of Oestrophan (Bioveta, CZ) to the extended boar semen did not improve the sperm motility, morphology and kinematic parameters of the spermatozoa.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Noguchi, M., Kashiwai, S., Itoh S., Okumura H., Kure K., Suzuki C., Yoshioka K. (2013). Reproductive hormone profiles in sows on estrus synchronization using estradiol dipropionate and prostaglandin F(2α)-analogue and the reproductive performance in female pigs on commercial farms. J Vet Med Sci. 75(3): 343–348. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.12-0022 PMid:23131781
2. Einarsson, S., Fischier, M., Karlberg, K. (1981). Induction of parturition in sows using prostaglandin F2α or the analogue cloprostenol. Nordic Vet Med. 33, 354–358. PMid:6948275
3. Pressing, A.L., Dial, G.D., Stroud, C.M., Almond, G.W., Robison, O.W. (1987). Prostaglandin - induced abortion in swine: endocrine changes and influence on subsequent reproductive activity. Am J Vet Res. 48(1): 45-50. PMid:3826841
4. Morrow, M., Britt, J., Belschner, A., Neeley, G., O’Carroll, J. (1996). Effect of injecting sows with prostaglandin F2α immediately postpartum on subsequent reproductive performances. Swine Health Prod. 4, 73–78.
6. Hashizume, T., Niwa, T. (1984). Effect of administration of prostaglandin F2α (PGF2α) on the properties of sperm rich fraction of boar semen. Japan. J. Anim. Reprod. 30, 182-185. https://doi.org/10.1262/jrd1977.30.182
7. Cheng, H., Althouse, G.C., Hsu, W.H. (2001). Prostaglandin F2α added to extended boar semen at processing elicits in vitro myometrial contractility after 72 h storage. Theriogenology 55, 1901–1906. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(01)00531-3
9. Cheng, H., Althouse, G.C., Hsu, W. H. (2003). Concentrations of endogenous prostaglandin F2α in boar semen and effect of a 72-h incubation period on exogenous prostaglandin F2α concentration in extended boar semen. Prostaglandins & Other Lipid Mediators 70, 285–290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-6980(02)00140-5
10. Pandur, I. D., Pacala, N. (2012). Sperm motility after the addition of prostaglandin F2α to the Landrace boar diluted semen. Scientific Papers Animal Science and Biotechnologies 45 (1): 222-225.
11. Maes, D., Mateusen, B., Rijsselaere, T., De Vliegher, S., Van Soom, A., de Kruif, A. (2003). Motility characteristics of boar spermatozoa after addition of prostaglandin F2α. Theriogenology 60, 1435–1443. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(03)00132-8
12. Yeste, M., Briz, M., Pinart, E., Sancho, S., Garcia-Gil, N., Badia, E., Bassols, J., Pruneda, A., Bussalleu, E., Casas, I., Bonet, S. (2008). Boar spermatozoa and prostaglandin F2α quality of boar sperm after the addition of prostaglandin F2α to the short-term extender over cooling time. Animal Reproduction Science 108, 180–195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2007.08.008 PMid:17897798
13. Kozumplik J, Martinek J. (1986). The effect of Oestrophan Spofa (synthetic analog of prostaglandin F2α) added to the insemination dose on pregnancy and fertility in sows. Vet Med (Praha). 31(4): 227–232.