This study investigated the effect of three intramuscular injections of Prostaglandin F2α (PGF2α) administered seven days apart on estrus responses and some reproductive hormonal profiles in post-pubertal gilts.Sixteen gilts were divided into groups A, B, C, and D, with four animals in each group. Group A, B and C gilts were treated with PGF2α injections intramuscularly at doses 5mg,7.5mg and 10mg per gilt respectively on Days 0, 6 and 13 of the experiment. Group D (Control) were treated with intramuscular injections of 2ml phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) instead. Serum samples were collected every 24 hours for four days after each PGF2α injection and estrus detection was conducted daily. Results showed that 100% of Group A came into estrus 96 hours after the second PGF2α injection,while 50% of Group B came into estrus after the first injection; with the other 50% exhibiting estrus following the 2nd injection. Only 50% of Group C displayed estrus signs and this was observed following the second PGF2α injection. Control gilts did not express behavioral estrus during this study, suggesting that PGF2α may have induced estrus in the treated animals. LH and estradiol concentrations were significantly different in Group A and B when compared to the control following the 2nd PGF2α injection. In all, it was observed that serum concentrations of LH, FSH and oestradiol-17β reached maximal levels just prior to expression of estrus, thus suggesting that the pattern of reproductive hormonal changes in PGF2α-synchronized gilts may be quite similar to those of naturally cycling in-estrus gilts.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ziecik A.J. Biallowicz M. Kaczmarek M. Demianowicz W. Rioperez J. Wasielak M. Bogacki M. (2005). Influence of estrus synchronization of prepubertal gilts on embryo quality. J. Reprod. Dev. 51(3): 379-384. http://dx.doi.org/10.1262/jrd.17008 PMid:15827382
2. Kirkwood RN. (1999). Pharmacological intervention in swine reproduction. Swine Health Prod. 7(1): 29-35.
3. De Rensis F. Peter A. (1999). The control of follicular dynamics by PGF2α GnRH hCG and estrus synchronization in cattle. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 34 49-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.1999.tb01383.x
4. Menchaca A. Miller V. Gil J. Pinczak A. Laca M. Rubianes E. (2004). Prostaglandin F2α treatment is associated with timed artificial insemination in ewes. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 39 352-355. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2004.00527.x PMid:15367269
5. De Rensis F. Lopez-Gatius F. (2007). Protocols for synchronizing estrus and ovulation in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis): A review. Theriogenology 67 209-216. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2006.09.039 PMid:17112577
6. Diehl J.R. Day B.N. (1974). Effect of prostaglandin F2α on luteal functiion in swine. J Anim Sci. 39 392-396. http://dx.doi.org/10.2527/jas1974.392392x PMid:4845714
7. Guthrie H.D. Polge C. (1976). Luteal function and oestrus in gilts treated with a synthetic analogue of prostaglandin F2α (ICI79.939) at various times during the oestrous cycle. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility 48 423-425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0480423 PMid:1033285
8. Manzoni C. Saleri R. Kirkwood RN. Macchi E. Mongkol T. De Rensis F. (2014). Double cloprostenol administration during mid-luteal phase of oestrous cycle does not modify the interoestrous interval in gilts. Ital J Anim Sci. 13 527-529.
9. Halfordm DM. Wettemannm RP. Turmanm EJ. Omtvedt IT. (1975). Luteal function in gilts after prostaglandin F2α. J Anim Sci. 41 1706-1710. http://dx.doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.4161706x
10. Estill CT. Britt J.H. Gadsby J.E. (1993). Repeated administration of prostaglandin F2α during the early luteal phase causes premature luteolysis in the pig. Biol. Reprod. 49 181-185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod49.1.181 PMid:8353186
11. Puglisi TA. Rampacek GB. Kraeling RR. Kiser TE. (1979). Corpus luteum susceptibility to prostaglandin F2α (PGF α) luteolysis in hysterectomized prepuberal and mature gilts. Prostaglandins 18(2): 257-264. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0090-6980(79)90111-4
12. Noguchi M. Kashiwa S. Itoh S. Okumura H. Kure K. Suzuki C. Yoshioka K. (2013). Reproductive hormone profiles in sows on estrus synchronization using estradiol dipropionate and prostaglandin F2α-analogue and the reproductive performance in female pigs on commercial farms. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 75(3): 343-348. http://dx.doi.org/10.1292/jvms.12-0022 PMid:23131781
13. Soede N.M. Langendijk P. Kemp B. (2011). Reproductive cycles in pigs. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 124 251-258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2011.02.025 PMid:21397415