The pharmacokinetics of ferrous methionate and ferrous sulphate was investigated in broiler chickens after intravenous injection and crop intubation. The iron compounds were injected intravenously in v. brachialis. After a 20-day “wash-out” period the ferrous methionate and ferrous sulphate were administered again by an elastic silicone tube into the crop. The serum concentrations of the iron were determined using a bioanalyser. Two pharmacokinetic approaches were used - compartmental and non-compartmental analysis. After i.v. injection we found statistically significantly longer and better distribution of the iron contained in the ferrous methionate compared to the ferrous sulphate. The АUC0→∞ was statistically significantly higher in the ferrous methionate. In the alimentary tract of broiler chickens, ferrous methionate was absorbed more rapidly than ferrous sulfate. It was also distributed at a higher volume as compared to the ferrous sulfate
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Geisser P. Burckhardt S. (2011). The Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Iron preparations. Pharmaceutics 3(1): 12-33.
2. Egli A. K. Franstad T. Gramingen D. (1998). The effect of per oral administration of aminoacid chelated iron to pregnant sows in prevention sow and piglet anemia. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 39(1): 77-87.
3. Andrews N. C. (1999). Disorders of iron metabolism. The New England Journal of Medicine 341 1986-1995.
4. Kalantaz-Zadeh K. E. Steja E. Miller J. E. Nissenson A. R. (2009). Intravenous iron versus erythropoiesis-stimulating agents: Friends or foes in treating chronic kidney disease anemia? Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease 16 143-151.
5. Browrilie W. M. (1955). The Tretment of Piglet Anaemia. Veterinary Record 67 350-354.
6. Antonov S. I. (1971). Study of the iron metabolism in relation to the anaemia in the mammal pigs. Ph. D. Thesis Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Sofia Bulgaria (in Bulgarian).
7. Dilov P. (1976). Pharmacological properties and biological standardisation of the ferro-dextran preparations. Ph. D. Thesis Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Sofia Bulgaria (in Bulgarian).
8. Petrichev M. H. (2006). Study of the toxicity bioavailability and antianaemic effect of the methionine iron complex fodder additive in laboratory animals and pigs. Ph. D. Thesis Faculty of Veterinary Medicine University of Forestry Sofia Bulgaria.
9. Gibaldi M. Perrier D. (2007). Noncompartmental Analysis Based on Statistical Moment Theory In: James Swarbrick (ed.) Pharmacokinetics Revised and Expanded 2 ed. (pp. 409-419). Informa-Healthcare USA Inc.
10. Heinzel G. Woloszak R. Thomann P. (1993). Topfit. Version 2.0. Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Data Analysis System for PC Gustav Ficher Stuttgart Jena New York
11. Yamaoka K. Nakagawa T. Uno T. (1978). Application of Akaike’s Information Criterion (AIC) in the evaluation of linear pharmakcokinetic equations. Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics 6 166-17.
12. Swartz G. (1978). Estimating the dimension of a model. Annals of Statistics 6 461-464.