The paper discusses issues related to the optimisation of magnetic couplings used in bioreactors (manufactured by JSC “Biotehniskais Centrs”). The purpose of optimisation was to preserve the maximum breakaway torque of the magnetic coupling while reducing the mass of rare earth elements used in its structure. The paper presents the rationale for the selected optimisation option taking into account the economic aspect. To solve the optimisation problem, the factors affecting the maximum torque of the magnetic coupling, such as the shape and height of the internal and external magnets, the angle of the external and internal magnets, as well as the height of the internal and external yoke, were determined. The design of the existing magnetic coupling was optimised and its prototype was made based on the results of optimisation. The results obtained by means of optimisation were compared with the results obtained experimentally by testing the manufactured prototype.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Jagani N. Jagani H. Hebbar K. Gang S.S. Vasanth Raj P. Chandrashekhar R.H. & Rao J. V. (2010). An overview of fermenter and the design considerations to enhance its productivity Pharmacologyonline1 261–301.
2. Varley J. & Birch J. (1999). Reactor design for large scale suspension animal cell culture. Cytotechnology 29 177–205. doi:10.1023/A:1008008021481.
3. Li Z. Wang D. Zheng D. & Yu L. (2017). Analytical modeling and analysis of magnetic field and torque for novel axial flux eddy current couplers with PM excitation. AIP Advanced 7 105303.
4. Orlova S. Kamolins E. Konuhova M. & Suleiko A. (2018). Design of magnetic couplings for bioreactors: Analytical treatment and optimization. In: IEEE 2018 20th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE’18 ECCE Europe) 17–21 September 2018 Riga Latvia.
5. Statista. (n.d.). Rare earth reserves worldwide as of 2018 by country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/277268/rare-earth-reserves-by-country/
6. Desai P. (2018). Tesla’s electric motor shift to spur demand for rare earth neodymium. Reuters. Available at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-metals-autos-neodymium-analysis-idUSKCN1GO28I
7. Lei G. Zhu J. Guo Y. Liu C. & Ma B. (2017). A review of design optimization methods for electrical machines. Energies 2017 10 1962.
8. Besnerais J.L. Lanfranchi V. Hecquet M. & Brochet P. (2008). Multiobjective optimization of induction machines including mixed variables and noise minimization. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics44(6) 1102–1105.