The paper focuses on the application of synchrophasor measurements that present unprecedented benefits compared to SCADA systems in order to facilitate the successful transformation of the Nordic-Baltic-and-European electric power system to operate with large amounts of renewable energy sources and improve situational awareness of the power system. The article describes new functionalities of visualisation tools to estimate a grid inertia level in real time with monitoring results between Nordic and Baltic power systems.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. D’hulst R. Fernandez J. M. Rikos E. Kolodziej D. K. Heussen D. … Caerts C. (2015). Voltage and frequency control for future power systems: The ELECTRA IRP proposal. In Proceedings of EDST’2015. Vienna: IEEE.
2. Morch A. Z. Jakobsen S. H. Visscher K. & Marinelli M. (2015). Future control architecture and emerging observability needs. In Proceedings of POWERENG’2015. Riga: IEEE.
3. Phadke A. G. & Thorp J. S. (2018). Synchronized phasor measurement and their applications. New York: Springer.
4. VonMeier A. Culler D. & McEachern A. (2014). Micro-synchrophasors for distribution systems. In Proc. IEEE PES 5th Innov. Smart Grid Technol. (ISGT) Conf. (pp. 1–5).
5. CIGRE WG C4.34. (2017). Application of phasor measurements for monitoring power system dynamic performance. Available at https://e-cigre.org/publication/702-application-of-phasor-measurement-units-for-monitoring-power-system-dynamic-performance
6. Knap V. Sinha R. Swierczynski M. Stroe D.-I. & Chaudhary S. (2014). Grid inertial response with Lithium-ion battery energy storage systems. In IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE) 1–4 June 2014 (pp.1817–1822).
7. Marinelli M. Pertl M. Rezkalla M. N. Kosmecki M. Sobczak B. Jankowski R. … Rossi M. (2017). Functional description of the monitoring and observability detailed concepts for the Pan-European control schemes. ELECTRA Deliverable D5.4. WP5: Increased Observability.
8. Ørum E. Kuivaniemi M. Laasonen M. Bruseth A. I. Jansson E. A. Danell A. … Modig N. (2015). Future system inertia. ENTSOE. Brussels.
9. Kundur P. (1994). Power system stability and control. New York: McGraw-Hill.