Considering the growing demand for broadband of access networks, in the present paper we investigate various modulation formats as a way of increasing the performance of optical transmission systems. Non-return-to-zero (NRZ) on-off keying, return-to-zero (RZ) OOK, carrier suppressed RZ (CSRZ) OOK, duobinary (DB), NRZ differential phase shift keying (NRZDPSK), RZ-DPSK and CSRZ-DPSK formats are compared using the maximal achievable reach with bit error rate less than 10−9 as a criterion. Simulations are performed by using OptSim software tool. It is shown that using the transmission system without dispersion compensation the best results are shown by duobinary and CSRZ-OOK modulation formats, but with the system using dispersion compensating fiber (DCF) the longest transmission distance is achieved by RZ-DPSK modulation format. By investigating the influence of channel spacing for best-performed modulation formats, network reach decrease for transmission systems with DCF fiber has been observed due to channel crosstalk.
9. Binh, L. N. (2015). Advanced digital optical communications. Second edition. Munich: CRC Press.
10. Winzer, J., and Essiambre, R. (2006). Advanced optical modulation formats. Proceedings of the IEEE 94 (5), 952–985.
11. Latal, J., Vitasek, J., Koudelka, P., Siska, P., Poboril, R., Hajek, L., Vanderka. A., and Vasinek, V. (2014). Simulation of modulation formats for optical access network based on WDM-PON. 16th International Conference in Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), 1–7, 6–10.
12. Agalliu, R., and Lucki, M. (2014). Benefits and limits of modulation formats for optical communications. Optics and Optoelectronics 12 (2), 160–167.
13. Agalliu, R., and Lucki, M. (2015). System improvements in dense wavelength division multiplexing networks by using advanced optical modulation formats. 17th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), 1–9. doi: 10.1109/ICTON.2015.7193511
14. Ozolins, O., Bobrovs, V., and Ivanovs, G. (2012). DWDM-direct access system based on the fiber Bragg grating technology. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing, CSNDSP 2012, art. no. 6292669.
15. Udalcovs, A., Bobrovs, V., Trifonovs, I., and Celmins, T. (2013). Investigation of maximum distance reach for spectrally efficient WDM system with mixed data rates and signal formats. Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika, 19 (1), 87–92.
16. Spolitis, S., Bobrovs, V., Ivanovs, G., and Gavars, P. (2012). Comparison of passive chromatic dispersion compensation techniques for long reach dense WDM-PON system. Elektronika ir elektrotechnika 6 (122), 65–70.
17. Udalcovs, A., and Bobrovs, V. (2012). Investigation of spectrally efficient transmission for unequally channel spaced WDM systems with mixed data rates and signal formats. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing, CSNDSP 2012, art. no. 6292662.
18. OptSim User Guide. (2010). USA: RSoft Design Group.
20. Udalcovs, A., Bobrovs, V., Parts, R., and Trifonovs, I. (2012). Evaluation of the maximum permissible transmission distance for the mixed-HDWDM systems. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Telecommunications, BIHTEL 2012, art. no. 6412052.