One of the main concerns regarding extensive production of biobutanol has been associated with the high costs of the substrate (preparation of fermentable sugars) and the relatively low tolerance of Clostridia to butanol. In this study a simple, mild approach was tested to obtain fermentable sugars from agricultural waste. Giant hogweed and hay was pre-treated with simple boiling and enzymatically hydrolysed. The results demonstrated that after adaptation of the genus Clostridium bacteria to the new substrate, the growth kinetics and sugar consumption of these bacteria were similar to the ones obtained in traditional culture media.
3. Qureshi, N., Saha, B. C., Dien, B., Hector, R. E., Cotta, M A. (2010). Production of butanol (a biofuel) from agricultural residues: Part I - Use of barley straw hydrolyzate 5. Biomassand bioenergy, 34, 559-565.
4. Cheng, C.-L., Che, P.-Y., Chen, B.-Y., Lee, W.-J., Lin, C.-Y., Chang, J.-S. (2012). Biobutanol production from agricultural waste by an acclimated mixed bacterial microflora. Appl. energy, 100, 3-9.
5. Zheng, Y., Pan, Z., Zhang, R. (2009). Overview of biomass pre-treatment for cellulosic ethanol production. Int. J. Agric. & Biol. Eng., 2, 51-68.
6. Kumar, P., Barrett, D.M., Delwiche M.J., Stroeve, P. (2009). Methods for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass for efficient hydrolysis and biofuel production. Industr. Eng. Chem. Res., 48(8), 3713-3729.
7. Ghose, T.K. (1987). Measurement of cellulose activities. Pure & Appl. Chem., 59, 257-268.
8. Bailey, M.J., Biely, P., Poutanen, K. (1992). Interlaboratory testing of methods for assay of xylanase activity. J. Biotechnol., 23, 257-270.
9. Gregg, D.J., Saddler, J.N. (1996). Factors affecting cellulose hydrolysis and the potential of enzyme recycle to enhance the efficiency of an integrated wood to ethanol. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 51 (4), 375-383.
10. Joshi, B., Bhatt, M.R., Sharma, D., Joshi, J., Malla, R., Sreerama, L. (2011). Lignocellulosic ethanol production: Current practices and recent developments. Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. Rev.,6 (8), 172-182.
11. Pandey, A., Larroche, C., Ricke, S.C., Dussap, C.-G., Gnansounou, E. (2011). Biofuels:Alternative Feedstocks and Conversion Processes. USA: Academic Press.
12. Lee, S.J., Park, J.H., Jang S.H., Nielsen L.K., Kim, J., Jung, K.S. (2008). Fermentative butanol production by Clostridia. Biotech. Bioeng., 101 (2), 209-228.
13. Ezeji, T.C., Qureshi, N., Blaschek, H.P. (2004). Acetone butanol ethanol (ABE) production from concentrated substrate: reduction in substrate inhibition by fed-batch technique and product inhibition by gas stripping. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 63 (6), 653-658.