Evolution of the dicalcium phosphate-dihydrate (DCPD) coating created by large amplitude sinusoidal voltammetry (LASV) on corrosion resistance of the ZW3 magnesium alloy in chloride containing environment
The contribution is focused on the preparation of coating based on the dicalcium phosphate-dihydrate (DCPD) on the surface of ZW3 magnesium alloy. For the preparation of the coating a cathodic electrodeposition technique called Large Amplitude Sinusoidal Voltammetry (LASV) was used. The DCPD layer was prepared at the temperature of 22 ± 2 °C in electrolyte composed of 0.1M Ca(NO3).4H2O, 0.06 M NH4H2PO4 and H2O2. Electrochemical characteristics were evaluated by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) in 0.1M NaCl solution. The obtained data in form of Nyquist plots were analysed by the equivalent circuit method. It is clear from the measured values of polarization resistance Rp that dicalcium phosphate-dihydrate (DCPD) layer prepared by LASV electro-deposition technique improved corrosion resistance of ZW3 alloy in the chosen environment.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Brunelli K. et al. Effect of HCl pre-treatment on corrosion resistence of cerium-based conversion coatings on magnesium and magnesium alloy Corrosion Science2005 47 989-1000.
2. Cui X. et al. Structure and corrosion resistence of modified mirco-arc oxidation coating on AZ31B magnesium alloy Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China2016 26 814-821.
3. Han B. et al. Fabrication of a novel Mg-RE (NdCe) intermetallic compound coating by molten salt diffusion and its effect on corrosion resistance of magnesium alloys Journal of Rare Earths2016 34
4. Nový F. et al. Very high cycle fatigue behaviour of as-extruded AZ31 AZ80 and ZK60 magnesium alloys International Journal of Materials and Research2009 100 288-291.
5. Wang Y. et al. Corrosion behaviors and effects of corrosion products of plasmaelectrolytic oxidation coated AZ31 magnesium alloy under the saltspray corrosion test Applied Surface Science2016 378 435-442.
6. Zhao Y. et al. Formation and electrochemical behavior of Al and O plasma-implanted biodegradable Mg-Y-RE alloy Materials Chemistry and Physics2012 132 187-191.
7. Feng A. Han Y. Mechanical and in vitro degradation behavior of ultrafine calcium polyphosphate reinforced magnesium-alloy composites Materials and Design2011 32 2813-2820.
8. Gu Y. et al. Long-term corrosion inhibition mechanism of microarc oxidation coated AZ31 Mg alloys for biomedical applications Materials and Design2013 46 66-75.
9. Gnedenkov A.S. et al. Features of the corrosion processes development at the magnesium alloys surface Surface and Coatings Technology2013 225 112-118.
10. Nasiri Vatan N. Ebrahimi-kahrizsangi R. Kasiri-asgarani M. Structural tribological and electrochemical behavior of SiC nanocomposite oxide coatings fabricated by plasma electrolytic oxidation (PEO) on AZ31 magnesium alloy Journal of Alloys and Compounds2016 683 241-255.
11. Say W.C. Chen C.C Hsieh S. Electrochemical characterization of non-chromate surface treatments on AZ80 magnesium Materials Characterization2008 59 1400-1406.
12. Esmaily M. et al. Fundamentals and advances in magnesium alloy corrosion Progress in Materials Science2017 89 92-193.
13. Song G.L. Recent progress in corrosion and protection of magnesiu alloys Advanced Engineering Materials2005 7 563-586.
14. Shaw B.A. Corrosion resistance of magnesium alloys ASM Handbook Corrosion: Fundamentals Testing and Protection2003 13a 692-696.
15. Nwaogu N.C. et al. Influence of inorganic acid pickling on the corrosion resistance of magnesium alloy AZ31 sheet Corrosion Science2009 51 2544-2556.
16. Ghali E. Activity and passivity of magnesium and its alloy Corrosion of magnesium alloys edited by G.L. Song2011 1 66-109.
17. Turnold R. et al. The corrosion of magnesium in aqueous solution containing chloride ions Corrosion Science1977 17 353-365.
18. Hadzima B. et al. Cathodic anticorrosive protection of magnesium alloy AZ91 Kovové materiály2003 41 257-269.
19. Gu Ch. et al. Electroless Ni-P plating on AZ91D magnesium alloy from a sulfate solution Journal of Alloys and Compounds2005 391 104-109.
20. Mohedano M. Blawert C. Zheludkevich M.L. Silicate-based Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation (PEO) coatings with incorporated CeO2 particles on AM50 magnesium alloy Materials and Design2015 86 735-744.
21. Kannan M.B. Electrochemical deposition of calcium phosphates on magnesiumand its alloys for improved bio-degradation performance: A review Surface and Coatings Technology2016 301 36-41.
22. Mhaede M. Pastorek F. Hadzima B. Influence of shot peening on corrosion properties of biocompatible magnesium alloy AZ31 coated by dicalcium phosphate dihydrate (DCPD) Materials Science and Engineering C2014 39 330-335.
23. Shandabaz S. Dias G.J. Calcium phosphate coating on magnesium alloys for biomedical aplications: A review Acta Biomaterialia2012 8 20-30.
24. Wang H. et al. Electrochemical property and in vitro degradation of DCPD–PCL composite coating on the biodegradable Mg–Zn alloy Materials Letters2012 68 435-438-
25. Xie J. Riley C. Chitur K. FTIR/ATR study of protein adsorption and brushite tranformation to hydroxyapatite Biomaterials2002 23 3609-3616.
26. Kajánek D. et al. Study of Corrosion Behavior of Dicalcium Phosphate-dihydrate (DCPD) Coating Prepared by Large Amplitude Sinusoidal Voltammetry (LASV) Technique on ZW3 Magnesium Alloy Proceedia Engineering2017 192 399-403.
27. Dorozhkin S. Calcium orthophosphate coatings on magnesium and its biodegradable alloys Acta Biomaterialia2014 10 2919-2934.
28. Peng P. et al. Thin calcium phosphate coatings on titanium by electrochemical deposition in modified simulated body fluid Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A2006 76 347-355.
29. Omasta M. et al. Electrodeposition of calcium phosphate on EV31 magnesium alloy Advanced Science Letters2016 22 651-655.
30. Chandrasekar M.S Pushpavanam M. Electrochim. Pulse and pulse reverse plating-Conceptual advantages and applications Electrochemica Acta2008 53 3313-3322.
31. Amirudin A. Thierry D. Application of electrochemical impedance spectroscopy to study the degradation of polymer-coated metals Progress in Organic Coatings1995 26 1-28.
32. Pastorek F. Hadzima B. Study of calcium phosphate (DCPD) electrodeposition process on a Mg-3Al_1Zn magnesium alloy surface Materials Engineering – Materiálové inžinierstvo2013 20 54-63.