Magnesium and its alloys are perspective bio-degradable materials used mainly due to their mechanical properties similar to those of mammal bones. Potential problems in utilization of magnesium alloys as bio-materials may relate to their rapid degradation which is associated with resorption problems and intensive hydrogen evolution. These problems can be eliminated by magnesium alloys surface treatment. Therefore, this work aims with analysis of the influence of fluoride conversion coating on corrosion characteristics of magnesium alloy. Unconventional technique by insertion of wrought magnesium alloy AZ61 into molten Na[BF4] salt at temperature of 450 °C at different treatment times was used for fluoride conversion coating preparation. The consequent effect of the coating on magnesium alloy corrosion was analyzed by means of linear polarization in simulated body fluid solution at 37 ± 2 °C. The obtained results prove that this method radically improve corrosion resistance of wrought AZ61magnesium alloy even in the case of short time of coating preparation.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Staiger M.P. Pietak A.M. Huadmai J. a Dias G. Magnesium and its alloys as orthopedic biomaterials A review. Biomaterials2006 27 1728-1734.
2. Swaminathan R. Magnesium metabolism and its disorders The Clinical biochemist2003 24 47-66.
3. Zaman Fahim et al. Severe Hypermagnesemia Resulting from Laxative Use in a Patient with Renal Insufficiency. Hospital Physician2002 51-54.
4. Salahshoor M. Guo Y. Biodegradable Orthopedic Magnesium-Calcium (MgCa) Alloys Processing and Corrosion Performance. Materials2012 5 135-155.
5. Cha P.R. et al. Biodegradability engineering of biodegradable Mg alloys: Tailoring the electrochemical properties and microstructure of constituent phases Scientific Reports2013 3 1-6.
6. Ishizaki T. Shigematsu I. Saito N. Anticorrosive magnesium phosphate coating on AZ31 magnesium alloy Surface and Coatings Technology2009 203 2288-2291.
7. Cui F. et al. Calcium phosphate coating on magnesium alloy for modification of degradation behavior Frontiers of Materials Science2008 2 143-148.
8. Shadanbaz S. Dias G.J. Calcium phosphate coatings on magnesium alloys for biomedical applications: A review Acta Biomaterialia2012 8 20-30.
9. Chiu K.Y. Wong M.H. Man M.H. Characterization and corrosion studies of fluoride conversion coating on degradable Mg implants Surface and Coatings Technology2007 202 590-598.
10. Li J.Z. et al. Corrosion action and passivation mechanism of magnesium alloy in fluoride solutin Transactions of Nonferrous Merals Society of China2009 19 50-54.
11. Mao L.; Yuan G.; Niu J.; Zong Y. a Dingm W. In vitro degradation behavior and biocompatibility of Mg–Nd–Zn–Zr alloy by hydrofluoric acid treatment Materials Science and Engineering2013 33 242-250.
12. Yan T. et al. Fluoride treatment and in vitro corrosion behavior of an AZ31B magnesium alloy Materials Science and Engineering: C2010 30 740-748.
13. Yamamoto A. Ohse T. Tsubakino H. Surface Modification on Magnesium Alloys by Coating with Magnesium Fluorides Materials Science Forum2005 475-479 505-508.
14. Yamamoto A. Terawaki T. a Tsubakino H. Microstructures and Corrosion Properties on Fluoride Treated Magnesium Alloys. Materials transactions2008 49 1042-1047.
15. Avedesian M. M. Baker H. ASM Specialty Handbook: Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys 1999 314.
16. Yokel R. The toxicology of aluminum in the brain: a review Neurotoxicology2000 21 813-28.
17. Costantino D. G. et al. Assessment of in vitro temporal corrosion and cytotoxicity of AZ91D alloy Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2012 23 2553-2562.
18. Zhang S. Biological and Biomedical Coatings Handbook: Applications 2011 976.
20. Cantor S. Physical properties of molten-salt reactor fuel coolant and flush salts Technical Report1968 ORNLTM-2316.
21. Jia W.Z. et al. A novel method for the synthesis of well-crystallized β-AlF3 with high surface area derived from γ-Al2O3. Journal of Materials Chemistry2011 21 8987-8990.
22. Zaid B. et al. Electrochemical evaluation of sodium metabisufite as environmentally friendly inhibitor for corrosion of aluminum alloy 6061 in a chloride solution Journal of Alloys and Compounds2015 629 188-196.
23. Li L. Nam N. D. Effect of yttrium on corrosion behavior of extruded AZ61 Mg alloy Journal of Magnesium and Alloys2016 4 44-51.
24. Zhu S. Liu Z. Qu R. X. Wang L. G. Li W. Q. Guan S. Effect of rare earth and Mn elements on the corrosion behavior of extruded AZ61 system in 3.5 wt% NaCl solution and salt spray test Journal of Magnesium and Alloys2013 1 249-255.
25. Mhaede M. Pastorek F. Hadzima B. Influence of shot peening on corrosion properties of biocompatible magnesium alloy AZ31 coated by dicalcium phosphate dihydrate (DCPD) Materials Science and Engineering: C2014 39 330-335.